Headphone Jack Removal - Lost Customer

Yeah the new Fairphone earbuds should have that. [EDIT: they don’t]

Also the Sony WF1000XM3 (predecessor of WF1000XM4). It is relatively cheap right now (because of its successor being released), and has very good ANC (I can tell you from first hand experience: almost as good as its successor). Its not officially supported the replacement, but there’s guides available such as this one:

https://www.dejibattery.com/News/how-to-replace-the-sony-wf-1000xm3-headset-battery.html

2 Likes

Thank you!
That something like this is produced reminds me of using medication against the unwanted side effects of another medication.

Well, a 3,5 mm jack would solve all the discussed issues in this thread (new BT headset, replaceble battery, dongle …) :grin:

3 Likes

There’s no indication that the Fairphone earbuds have replaceable batteries, although once the warranty has expired you could prize them open and effect a DIY :frowning:

1 Like

Yes, but we wouldn’t have noticed, as the thread wouldn’t have been started :slightly_smiling_face:.

I’m glad nobody asked for a cigarette lighter and the effects it would have on battery life :wink:.

1 Like

My bad the Fairphone earbuds are indeed not officially repairable. How well they’re repairable? I’d wait for an iFixit teardown to assess that.

3 Likes

This one would be more convenient for me:

3 Likes

@madbilly here’s another one: Longest Lasting & Interchangeable Magnetic Attach Battery Wireless Ear - Pq Earbuds Official Store (I have not tested them! But I like the concept)

4 Likes

Same as most of these posts.
I liked the design of the FP4 but have a lot of headphones at home that I keep repairing - even getting friends’ ones. I was not going to by the FP4 anyway but that is a sad news, we’re not at apple here, we’d like to use stuff untill they really can’t be repaired. Still apple deleted jack plugs 5 years ago…

You can use every corded headphone with the FP4, you only need a simple adapter. That was mentioned several times already in this discussion.

7 Likes

Following this line of reasoning you could also argue that, since most people don’t care about fairtrade, it’s OK to drop it, right?

(and I don’t mean to say that you do think this)

4 Likes

At least, if I follow your example, I could literally obtain Fairtrade as an option, which is what you can do with a separate audio jack for a FP4 as well…

I was talking about a line of reasoning someone else used to explain the decision FP made to drop the jack. The result of which would be a contradiction with their own principles.

And that just does not seem to make a lot of sense.

In my humble opinion, the decision to “kill” the built-in audio jack has been correct in conjunction with a replaceable USB port.

Any audio jack in phones and other devices has proven to become unreliable after some time. And its size has prevented engineers to develop thinner and lighter phones.

The unreliability of worn-out audio jacks is just the same with USB jacks when using a USB-to-audio jack cable/connector frequently. The common user cannot replace a built-in audio jack when damaged - but the FP4 is the first Fairphone with a replaceable USB port. And as long as enough USB port modules are available, this will be a big advantage compared to phones with built-in (and sometimes damaged) audio jacks…

5 Likes

For those interested the official reasoning for no audio jack can now be found here:

6 Likes

Following that reasoning, Fairphone would have to include every possible feature, as there will be someone considering it the one (killer)feature, that decides on buying or not.
E.g. how about an OLED display or a third camera and what about the FM-radio?

From my point of view, as a - rather small - business, Fairphone has to make decisions based on economic sustainability as well, as it’s not worth sticking to features, that add costs for production, while they are important for a minority only. Add to this, that an additional module will increase the tear and wear on the phone, possibly leading to a greater amount of support requests.
I rather prefer, they stay in business and focus on social and ecological fairness.

And - just for clarification - I don’t own a bluetooth headphone, but rather two wired ones; so I would have preferred to have a jack as well. But using an adapter doesn’t seem to be that much of burden to me.
One advantage of an adapter, regarding charging at the same time, is, that there is a cable only on one end of the phone. With a headphone jack one always has cables sticking out on both ends of the phone, making it rather uncomfortable to carry in a pocket or bag.

6 Likes

The audio jack in my FP3 ist still working without any problems after 2 years, and I use it frequently. They could just keep this quality. Anyway, this is not the only reason I will look for something else when my FP3 falls apart and there are no spare parts. And why not 2 USB-C ports, if this is so much better? To sell an adapter or more spare parts?

They can also keep their screen with rounded edges and notch. There are at least Shiftphone and “some used phone” as options.

1 Like

Yes the radio would be a better asset than the jack.

So, don’t become some background noise
A backdrop for the girls and boys
Who just don’t know or just don’t care
And just complain when you’re not there

You had your time, you had the power
You’ve yet to have your finest hour
Radio, radio

All we hear is “Radio ga ga
Radio goo goo
Radio ga ga”
All we hear is "Radio ga ga
“Radio blah blah”
Radio, what’s new?
Radio, someone still loves you

Yes the reasons of dust and water ingress are a bit weak. I’ve a 7 year old Samsung with removable battery and a jack socket > no problems with water ingress, but then I didn’t drop it down the loo and in the rain I’m careful too.

One day when the FP4 is mine, I’ll use an adapter, I’ll be just fine.

My best guess -and it is definitely just a guess- is that they’ve done their share of market research, which may have shown that their target demographic cares more about water resistance than it does about the presence of a headphone jack. Fairphone pick their battles, I think. They’re firm on a few things, like fairness to workers and repairability, but they’re flexible when it comes to this type of stuff. Commit to the important things, move with the market on the things that will help you sell those important things. Something like that.

7 Likes

Do you mean the reasoning followed by fairphone or the one mentioned in the post? (this is getting complicated :grin: I’ll answer option2)

Erm… no don’t think so, more like the opposite, because it should also be in line with their mission which is (or should be) more important (e.g. We care about reducing waste and making the most of what we already have.).

When fairphone sells under 100k units in 2020 and worldwide sales are around 1370M, what’s your thought on customers sticking to companies? Economic choices are to be made by companies you rightly mention, but also by costumers, right?

Some costumers are willing to choose against the most common economic logic, but when things change and start to look more like the same, isn’t it to be expected that costumers also change their priorities/option/choices to be more like the same/the majority?

Same applies to adding more dongles… and carrying those around for the next 5 years, if you’d ask me.

I would be very happy with a 3,5mm jack at the bottom of the phone, just next to the usb-port to make lives easier :wink:.

And - just for clarification - I applaud the approach and the effort of the company, thinking different. I ask questions out of curiosity, not because I’m angry or something like that.

So the common user can repair the new earbuds, replacing the battery when it eventually dies after a few hundred charging cycles, or the BT module for that matter?

Proven by whom? I’ve never had this problem. Doesn’t mean it does not exist, but the fact that the tech is around for several decades might suggest otherwise.

So the FP4 is thinner, and lighter compared to its predecessor? Uhhh no, it’s longer, wider, thicker and heavier.

IMHO I’m still trying to convince myself … :wink:

2 Likes