Headphone Jack Removal - Lost Customer

I think the water specs is not to do with the jack, so they could have kept it, but more down to the modularity and user removable parts

2 Likes

Didn’t they say in the one hour pre-release interview that they didn’t include a 3.5 mm jack to obtain the IP54 rating?

But the Samsung Galaxy A52 5G with similar specs has 3.5 mm jack, and the Fairphone 3(+) has IP54 rating.

and they have glued everything possible, so most likely the jack is the only way for water to get inside, whereas the FP is modular and thereofore more ways for water to get inside. With the jack they removed 1 option and probably it was required to receive the ceritifcation, based on the rest of the phone? You can hardly compare Samsung glued phones and the Fairphones I guess…

5 Likes

…but the Fairphone 3(+) had IP54 rating…?

Its that plus this:

And the fact the A52 5G which has a better IP rating (IP67) + a headphone jack which got me puzzled.

2 Likes

when I read the FP support page (see link above provided by thelastproject) the FP3 had no official certified IP 54 rating…

We are happy to share that Fairphone 4 (FP4) is the first Fairphone device to receive a certified IP (Ingress Protection) rating from the IEC.

It makes us very proud to get an IP certification while respecting the right to repair and allowing our customers to fix their phones by themselves.

2 Likes

From an old post that seems contrary

Some misunderstanding maybe ??

Busted :wink: official shop mentions IP54 certification: Fairphone 3 | Fairphone shop (Archive.org Wayback Machine from 30 August 2019)

The next snapshot of the English shop page is from 17 Sept 2019. It doesn’t mention IP54 anymore. Didn’t check other languages such as FR or DE.

4 Likes

Nice find, so they may have to say that was a mistake

:rofl:

1 Like

As soon as there is any water inside, it is a “game over scenario”…

RE. water ingress through a jack socket to the phone, they can be 100% water tight, but then there is a casing which adds to the size.

Still without a plug water can still get into the socket and degrade it, especially sea water, but that’s true for the USB port too.

The alternative would be to have a sealed phone with only wifi connections as in WiFi, Bluetooth and wireless charging.

It should be possible to have a modular phone with seals at a cost.

But this is about wanting a jack not alternatives. So it would be a sealed unit with a plug for rainy days.

For the glued Samsung yes, for the modular FP no

The trick with the glued smartphones is to not open them up for as long as possible (you’d notice battery deterioration after ~500 cycles, with a breaking point below 80% at 1000 cycles after which it rapidly goes down. For a daily driver, that means in 1,5-3 years it is time to replace). You can try to reapply the glue, btw. For example, the iFixit repair set I bought for an iPhone 8 included it. But it was tricky. And sticky. Perhaps it requires a serious repair of a glued and a modular phone to truly appreciate the latter.

1 Like

The thing with repairing the completely glued phones is, that its nowadays easy to by repair kits however its really dangerous to try it when you have no technical/electronic skills and I guess its the majority. A friend of my mine who has the skills and already replaced IPhone batteries are n the past, almost burned the house when he tried o replace an Iphone battery the last time. So I myself would never try and would never recommend to “normal” people.

2 Likes

Be careful, that looks like a recommendation, and whereas security may have been a bone of contention for you elsewhere, encouraging someone to act in a way that may burn the house down is rather more of an issue, some may think.
Of course I may be misunderstanding you as you clearly did not say anyone should replace the battery.

:innocent:

There’s always a danger with batteries, more so when you have physical access to them and are able to pierce them. I’m not at all handy with physical stuff and I’ve been able to replace a battery in an iPhone 5s and an iPhone 8. It got more difficult with recent iPhones. The curve differs. The iFixit guides are solid in denoting how difficult the repair is going to be. If you read them well and are as handy as I am (not very…) then you should be good to go. You probably will lose whatever IP rating you got though, unless you reglue carefully.

4 Likes

The topic is about Headphone jack removal so whereas the batteries in the earpods may be relevant the rest is well off topic.

So to bring it back a bit, and stretch the issue over another topic see:

1 Like

I am also quitting the “Fairphone ideal” as they just try to sell an image of “sustainable” but follow practices from other big manufacturers. I’ve just had to dump my 3-year old FP2 because it needs a module that is no longer manufactured… so what’s the modular design good for? where’s the sustainability??

4 Likes

Hi @FairBob Welcome to the forum though by your statement this may be the last ‘we’ see of you, you may not even read this.

Still if you are still here, whereas I empathise with your sustainability issue Fairphone is more about the Fair trade issue with the supply chain than consumer expectations.

But this ‘complaint’ may be better suited to another topic that this one focused on ’ jack being missing’ and the community search for them.

Maybe you could contribute to

where I would appreciate more your views on how Fairphone haven’t lived up to your expectations.

On this issue maybe the following can help.

What module are you looking for? There are a bunch of users here with spare part stockpiles, so we may be able to help - if it’s not too late, of course.

3 Likes