Has anyone had any experience with the 'Replicant' project?

Hello,

Replicant wants a fully free smartphone all the way down to hardware level.

https://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/replicant-a-free-mobile-phone-os-is-more-important-than-ever-and-needs-your-help

I am quite interested in this approach and would like to hear your experience with it.

Many greetings
-Hendrik

P.S.: This talk is very interesting and highlights the type of problem the replicant-develpers run into.

3 Likes

Yes, runs successfull and with the known limitations on my backup phone. But not possible to expect a FP2 oder FP3 compatible release, as they don’t have modem isolation.

Hopefully Fairphone makes better hardware design decisions for future deveices regarding privacy/security.

2 Likes

Hi @m4ur1c3,
that is great to hear. Is it a basic android system? GPS is missing, which is a major drawback but it is awesome that you installed it :slight_smile: Their supported device list has grown since I last checked, which is good news. I am still hoping for open hardware at some point in time.
Many greetings
-Hendrik

1 Like

Hi @dornhe,

Is it a basic android system?

I’m not sure what the ‘basic’ refers to exactly, but it’s a Android distribution like LineageOS (and currently Replicant’s development is actually based on LineageOS, formerly on AOSP) and ships with only basic apps like Phone, Contacts, Messaging, etc. The major difference comes with the ethical/politcal approach of Replicant to remove all proprietary parts (e.g. programs, libraries, firmwares) and (trying) to replace them with free software which results in missing GPS, WiFI or limited graphical support for now, depending on the phones hardware.

I am still hoping for open hardware at some point in time.

I think a lot of people are hoping for this very badly too.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.