Has anybody received the latest security update yet?

Just checked on my phone. Security updates are from September, 5th. Up to now no further update.

Same here… Sept. 5

Until Fairphone establish communication and/or observable processes concerning OS updates for the Fairphone 3 we will have such a topic every month. Please hurry up, Fairphone :slight_smile: !

We could make a Wiki where the first sighting of an update could be added for everybody to see (a first sighting could be a nice badge, too), but we would still have the topics, because the search function is overrated (or underused) :slight_smile: .

7 Likes

@Monica.Ciovica
Sorry for pinging you again.
Do you happen to have any information regarding this topic?

4 Likes

I will check and get back to you as soon as I know something :slight_smile:

6 Likes

FP3 A.0101 is available with Android security update Oct’19 and GMS package updated Oct’19.

The security update is important.

5 Likes

The october update installes “Youtube Music” as another useless bloatware… Thanks G$#gle…

4 Likes

For uninstalling via ADB … it’s com.google.android.apps.youtube.music .

4 Likes

OTA link (if anybody is interested :wink:) : https://android.googleapis.com/packages/ota-api/fairphone_fp3_fp3/a1b56846df6bb6c656a511eeae9f732f5b35fbf9.zip

10 Likes

Just got it: wow, real low Google. Not only do they not list it in the update notes, but it’s truly bloatware because you can’t uninstall it. adb here I come…:roll_eyes:

3 Likes

For anyone bothered by the YT Music app appearing with this update. The app is to replace Google Play Music… it’s Google and they change things up every so often (check this if you want to know all the services killed off over the years!! https://killedbygoogle.com/ )

Info here: https://news.sky.com/story/youtube-music-app-to-replace-google-play-music-on-android-11823572

14 Likes

Can it be disabled? Not super keen on using ADB

(cc @AnotherElk)

1 Like

Don’t know, I’m super keen on using ADB :wink: .

4 Likes

It can be disabled :wink:

4 Likes

Can anyone provide some simple instructions on how to install the zip file?

or should I really just wait for my phone to tell me it’s available?:smiley:

I’ve tried adb reboot revocery
adb sideload …

but I just get nothing
I’ve changed the filename to update.zip, moved it to home folder and restarted. Nothing there too.

1 Like

It should be available via system updater.
Go to Settings > System. There you should find it under Extended Sytem or similar.
Simply tap the System Updater and let it search for the update.

The presence of the System Updater depends on one or two Google services. If you can’t find it, you have probably deactivated Google Play Services and / or Google Services Framework.
Temporaribly activate them and the Updater will show up.

After the Update you can deactivate both services again. Be sure to deactivate the “Find my device” function under Security first or one of the both mentioned services cannot be deactivated again …

PS: VPN software can also prevent the update being found by the system updater if you have restricted Google Play Services or Google Services Framework. Just in case - try to temporarily suspend it if you have it running (eg. Netguard).

4 Likes

I’ve tried installing this via recovery, it get’s verified correctly but then fails

Installing update...
E: Can't run /sbin/update_engine_sideload (No such file or dir)
E:Error in /sideload/package.zip (Status 1)
Installation aborted

no matter if i try to install it from sdcard or adb/usb

Yes, I got the 5 October 2019 security patch the day before yesterday (28/11/19). I didn’t have to do anything - it was pushed to me.

1 Like

Same for me.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Got update a couple of days ago. Installation went ok and haven’t noticed any new issues.