Has anybody received the latest security update yet?

It should be available via system updater.
Go to Settings > System. There you should find it under Extended Sytem or similar.
Simply tap the System Updater and let it search for the update.

The presence of the System Updater depends on one or two Google services. If you canā€™t find it, you have probably deactivated Google Play Services and / or Google Services Framework.
Temporaribly activate them and the Updater will show up.

After the Update you can deactivate both services again. Be sure to deactivate the ā€œFind my deviceā€ function under Security first or one of the both mentioned services cannot be deactivated again ā€¦

PS: VPN software can also prevent the update being found by the system updater if you have restricted Google Play Services or Google Services Framework. Just in case - try to temporarily suspend it if you have it running (eg. Netguard).

4 Likes

Iā€™ve tried installing this via recovery, it getā€™s verified correctly but then fails

Installing update...
E: Can't run /sbin/update_engine_sideload (No such file or dir)
E:Error in /sideload/package.zip (Status 1)
Installation aborted

no matter if i try to install it from sdcard or adb/usb

Yes, I got the 5 October 2019 security patch the day before yesterday (28/11/19). I didnā€™t have to do anything - it was pushed to me.

1 Like

Same for me.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Got update a couple of days ago. Installation went ok and havenā€™t noticed any new issues.

A post was split to a new topic: :de: Android 10

Is anyone aware of a possibility to force triggering the OTA update?
I received the September security update in a timely manner, when the first reports were made here. Under the same conditions (Iā€™m in the UK, usually connected to a VPN 24/7) I havenā€™t received the October security update yet (the one released by FP in late November) - and Iā€™m already annoyed by that. Fairphone needs some time to integrate the Google patches into their OS - fine. But still being on September patches in December, thatā€™s my previous phoneā€™s experience all over againā€¦

I tried various suggestions from the internet: clearing the Google Services Framework app cache, disabling the VPN for a while, rebooted multiple times, did the manual update search for about a billion timesā€¦ It tells me my September patches are up to date, and that drives me nuts, because I know itā€™s not the case.

There are not so many Fairphone 3ā€™s that the rollout should take weeks. Iā€™d even opt in for early testing if there was such a thing.

Rant over.

I didnā€™t ask support yet, wanted to look for possible reasons and solutions here first.

I tried manually installing the OTA zip file but experienced the same error as @nold.

Sorry, for being a smartass; but then this isnā€™t new for you and no need for ranting. :wink:
No, seriously, it might be a staged rollout, that takes a few days, to e.g. manage the bandwith-use of the download server.
Since the first post mentioning the availability of the update was 4 days ago, you might give it another week? Just a wild guess, of course, as I have no experience or special knowledge.

2 Likes

Fair enough. It feels like itā€™s been much longer :stuck_out_tongue:

I wish theyā€™d announce updates with some details (like ā€œitā€™s a staged OTA, expect this to reach everyone in X days at mostā€). A short tweet would be enough. I should really tell this to support, not the community :laughing:

I noticed they didnā€™t update this support page yet - this and the fact that @Monica.Ciovica didnā€™t get back to us could possibly mean the updated wasnā€™t supposed to be released yet?

2 Likes

Iā€™ve just received the update today, so I would suggest it is a staged rollout of some description (Iā€™ve been trying to get the update manually since the first post that an update had arrived).

4 Likes

Thatā€™s great news! I checked manually earlier today - nothing. Checked manually again just now, and there it is! Staged rollout it is.

My concerns about the lack of transparency in the whole process are still valid thoughā€¦ Just put out some tweets Fairphone, come on - itā€™s not that hardā€¦

Support page still says

Fairphone OS version 0096 is the latest software version for your Fairphone 3 released in October 2019. It is based on Android 9 Pie.

1 Like

Hi.
My FP3 has just installed the 5 october security patch and my connections sharing doesnā€™t work anymoreā€¦ The week when my home connection have troubles :scream:
Have you got the same issue?

1 Like

Which one exactly? WiFi hotspot? Bluetooth tethering?
How about after turning the phone off (really shutting it down, no simple reboot) and turning it on again?

Wifi hotspot.
I didnā€™t known that there is a difference between reboot and start after shut down. But even with a ā€œreal shut downā€, it doesnā€™t work : my PC successfully connects to wifi but not to the internet (no ping).

Hi LeeRoy,

I have just checked it with my FP3 (which also has the October patch level) and my Wi-Fi hotspot works like a charm.

So this must be some issue with third party software oder network settings. What kind of computer are you connecting from, PC or Mac? Are you using a firewall? Any specific error messages except for not being connected?

Best wishes, Thomas

4 Likes

Thanks for testing.
My PC, booted with windows 10 or a linux, can not used my hotspot to ping something. But this PC can used the my wifeā€™s hotspot to used internet. This PC had used my hotspot the week before the update :frowning:
Do you know who to reset this hotspot ?

SOLVED.
I need to add ā€œdunā€ in APN type : ā€œdefault,dun,supl,mmsā€

6 Likes

Today i got the December update. Maybe they are up to speed right now and have enough time for open os? Just a late Christmas wish :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Whatā€™s the patch level? Is it December?

1 Like

Did you get your FP3 from the Fairphone Shop or from a reseller?

Iā€™m asking because FP3 batches at resellers (sold before Fairphone delivered FP3 to its own customers) still need a firmware fix (actually forecast for the first quarter of 2020).