GPS activates itself (Drei Austria / Italy)

This is probably because the call is routed over 3G. If you want to verify this, you can disable 3G by going to Settings > [Wireless & Networks] More… > Mobile Networks > 3G > Enable 3G > Off. Obviously, you’ll want to re-enable this after testing if you ever use mobile data.

As for this suddenly appearing: It could be that Drei has starting using their frequencies in a different manner than they were doing before. As said, I can’t figure out what the exact problem is, and as I’m not experiencing the same issue, I can’t really help beyond this…

1 Like

thanks. Nop, still there.

Even rang 3 - they say it’s definitively not them. They blame the satelite - unfortunately they don’t have their contact details :wink:

Hi,

I have the same problem with my FP1. GPS turns on automatically although all GPS settings are turned off.
I also use it with the Austian provider Drei and the problem occured first last week on January, 18th.

I hope there will be a solution soon.

Eva

just learned from neighbour that he has it too - but he is with telering

Hi,
So it’s not just my phone!
I have the same problem with the GPS on my FP1, since about ten days. I’m also with Drei in Austria, and I have all access to GPS turned off on the phone, in settings, in camera, on all apps where possible, and the time is set to network not GPS.
Still whenever I access my network internet, the GPS turns itself on and stays on until I manually turn it off.
I haven’t recently added any apps, but I did disable Google news.
would love to hear if there is a solution to this!
many thanks,
Rebekah

I’ve added in some details based on what’s written here. I’m not sure what debug info would be useful (and I cannot provide any data as I’m not an affected network).
If what I gather here is correct, namely that the phone starts to determine the location even when the use of GPS satellites is disabled in settings > location access, we can rule out regular apps as iirc you need system privileges to change that.

On October I had to hard reset the FP1 then from this point to now GPS starts automatically, not only when I try to make a call, often when it’s in my pocket, I take it and I check it if it’s active and then sometimes I must disable it.
I live in Italy and I have Wind Telecomunicazioni SpA as provider.

WIND: MCC 222, MNC 88
3 Italia: MCC 222, MNC 99

Wind and 3 in Italy are implementing a merge of their societies…

1 Like

I’ve contacted support and will report here, as soon as I get an answer.

i am not sure if this is a new prolbem, but…
…yesterday my gps turned on, while i was making outgoing phonecalls.
the dateservice and wireless-connection was turned off (since the gps-problem seemed to occur only when data-sercie was on)
my provider is Hutchison 3Drei in Austria and i have the FP1.

oh, i just read that others allready experienced that same problem with outgoing calls and gps-activation.
so never mind…

Just for the records: I am facing exactly the same problem: since about 10 days my GPS turns on whenever I activate mobile data or make/receive phone calls. My provider is 3 in Austria as in the most other cases. I hope we find a solution soon…

Hi,

also, just for the record: “Me too” :slight_smile:

FP1(U) using the operator “Drei” in Austria, GPS activates itself every few minutes.

Maybe an interesting aside: Seems to be location-specific (happens at work, but not at home).

I’m based in Vienna, so I could come to the Austrian Fairphoners meetup in March, if that’s any help.

Also, I’m a software developer, so feel free to send me dangerous commands to troubleshoot the issue and/or brick my FP :smile:

1 Like

Some relevant logs with adb logcat would be interesting. That’s not less than I could do at our next meetup… :blush:

adb logcat -b radio could be interesting, too.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: GPS tries to activate for incoming call

how can i send/post an “adb logcat”? or what do you need from us?
(sorry, i have no clue, what to look for or where to find it :blush:

According to @Rene_Sendlhofer Drei Austria admits that there was a cell update and that they don’t care about the FP1 having problems with it. -> Bug report

@gege23: Here is more info about adb.

Excerpts from my adb logcat can be found here (I tried to reduce it to ~1k hopefully relevant lines):

http://tobi-wan-kenobi.net/gps/gps_small.log

Username: fairphone
Password: WDd25E19PpVC27tw

(I password-protected the file since I saw some sensitive data such as telephone numbers, and I cannot be sure I managed to delete all of those). I’ll try to run the “-b radio” tomorrow, but can’t promise anything, unfortunately.

@Stefan Thanks for the update, sounds awful :stuck_out_tongue: If it resolves the problem, switching operator is actually a viable alternative for me…

2 Likes

There are many GPS-related things in your log file.
But I don’t really know what happens at what time.

According to the bug report there are three steps to reproduce:

Could you start the log do those steps, wait until GPS activates itself and stop the log?

Anyway, this seems to be (another) Mediatek-related problem (there are other devices and carriers that seem to exhibit this issue).
It may be too much work, but could you try to reproduce this in the beta KitKat build?

2 Likes

My cousin is on Drei, I could borrow his SIM card and try to reproduce the issue in #kitkat .

PS: Yeah, timestamps would be great! :blush:

1 Like