GPS activates itself (Drei Austria / Italy)

I gave you Level 1! :smiley:

thanks :slight_smile: still can’t write anything there though.

You are temporarily Level 3 now. :wink:

This is probably because the call is routed over 3G. If you want to verify this, you can disable 3G by going to Settings > [Wireless & Networks] More… > Mobile Networks > 3G > Enable 3G > Off. Obviously, you’ll want to re-enable this after testing if you ever use mobile data.

As for this suddenly appearing: It could be that Drei has starting using their frequencies in a different manner than they were doing before. As said, I can’t figure out what the exact problem is, and as I’m not experiencing the same issue, I can’t really help beyond this…

1 Like

thanks. Nop, still there.

Even rang 3 - they say it’s definitively not them. They blame the satelite - unfortunately they don’t have their contact details :wink:

Hi,

I have the same problem with my FP1. GPS turns on automatically although all GPS settings are turned off.
I also use it with the Austian provider Drei and the problem occured first last week on January, 18th.

I hope there will be a solution soon.

Eva

just learned from neighbour that he has it too - but he is with telering

Hi,
So it’s not just my phone!
I have the same problem with the GPS on my FP1, since about ten days. I’m also with Drei in Austria, and I have all access to GPS turned off on the phone, in settings, in camera, on all apps where possible, and the time is set to network not GPS.
Still whenever I access my network internet, the GPS turns itself on and stays on until I manually turn it off.
I haven’t recently added any apps, but I did disable Google news.
would love to hear if there is a solution to this!
many thanks,
Rebekah

I’ve added in some details based on what’s written here. I’m not sure what debug info would be useful (and I cannot provide any data as I’m not an affected network).
If what I gather here is correct, namely that the phone starts to determine the location even when the use of GPS satellites is disabled in settings > location access, we can rule out regular apps as iirc you need system privileges to change that.

On October I had to hard reset the FP1 then from this point to now GPS starts automatically, not only when I try to make a call, often when it’s in my pocket, I take it and I check it if it’s active and then sometimes I must disable it.
I live in Italy and I have Wind Telecomunicazioni SpA as provider.

WIND: MCC 222, MNC 88
3 Italia: MCC 222, MNC 99

Wind and 3 in Italy are implementing a merge of their societies…

1 Like

I’ve contacted support and will report here, as soon as I get an answer.

i am not sure if this is a new prolbem, but…
…yesterday my gps turned on, while i was making outgoing phonecalls.
the dateservice and wireless-connection was turned off (since the gps-problem seemed to occur only when data-sercie was on)
my provider is Hutchison 3Drei in Austria and i have the FP1.

oh, i just read that others allready experienced that same problem with outgoing calls and gps-activation.
so never mind…

Just for the records: I am facing exactly the same problem: since about 10 days my GPS turns on whenever I activate mobile data or make/receive phone calls. My provider is 3 in Austria as in the most other cases. I hope we find a solution soon…

Hi,

also, just for the record: “Me too” :slight_smile:

FP1(U) using the operator “Drei” in Austria, GPS activates itself every few minutes.

Maybe an interesting aside: Seems to be location-specific (happens at work, but not at home).

I’m based in Vienna, so I could come to the Austrian Fairphoners meetup in March, if that’s any help.

Also, I’m a software developer, so feel free to send me dangerous commands to troubleshoot the issue and/or brick my FP :smile:

1 Like

Some relevant logs with adb logcat would be interesting. That’s not less than I could do at our next meetup… :blush:

adb logcat -b radio could be interesting, too.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: GPS tries to activate for incoming call

how can i send/post an “adb logcat”? or what do you need from us?
(sorry, i have no clue, what to look for or where to find it :blush:

According to @Rene_Sendlhofer Drei Austria admits that there was a cell update and that they don’t care about the FP1 having problems with it. -> Bug report

@gege23: Here is more info about adb.