GPS activates itself (Drei Austria / Italy)

I have the same problem. I got a new sim card 2 weeks ago but the problem persists. Interesting Detail: with the new (!!) sim card the phone says OrangeAT as the provider.

Stupid question: this problem happens only to Fairphones (or to phones with the same chipset) in Austria with Drei? Not in other countries with other carriers?

In that case Iā€™d say the problem is Drei. The combination FairPhone+Drei worked for 2+ years. The Fairphone hasnā€™t changed. If Drei insists on ā€œstupid old phone doesnā€™t like our new configuration. Not our problemā€ then Iā€™ll have to find me a more customer-oriented carrier

Hi, I also have this issue:

Hi, Iā€™m from Italy, I have WIND and same bug on FP1 (message #39).
Iā€™m sending the log file created with adb on Ubuntu to the address beta@fairphone.com

I follow these steps:
1- Disable GPS and data on the phone;
2- Attach to USB, in a terminal start adb bugreport and enable data on the phone (time 01:50);
3- GPS symbol appears;
4- CTRL+C adb and start adb logcat -b radio -v time then after short time CTRL+C adb;

Hope that files are good.

1 Like

Thanx, mchlschw.
I was so happy about your procedure and tried it out.
Sorry, but with my Fairphone and 3 it did not work out. The GPS came back again, immediatelly.
It was an easy procedureā€¦I could not follow the ones proposed above (I am not a nerd). Therefore, I was not able to do try them out.
Hoping for new easy to follow ideasā€¦

Hello everybody,

I also had the same issue for two months and followed the discussions here hoping for a solution.
Last week I lost my patience and finally wrote to the Drei support myself. I told them that I would change my provider in case the problem wonā€™t be fixed soon. I also told them that I read in the fairphone forum that many people have the same issue and that it was already reported to Drei. Today I was called by the technical support of Drei and they told me that the issue should be solved since Friday evening or Saturday morning. Actually I didnā€™t not check my phone so often this weekend and did not pay attention to the GPS status. I checked it today various times and really - it did not happen any more!
The support person told me that the problem should be fixed for all Fairphones. In case someone still has the problem, I suggest to contact the Drei support themselves as well.
What was also interesting is that they seemed to have searched for the topic here in the forum and read it.
Good luck luck to everybody that the problem is solved for you too.

4 Likes

Thank you for not just whining (ā€œraunzenā€) here on the forum, but actually doing something (talking to tech support). How very un-Austrian of you :wink:

Thanks of course to all the others who actively did something (generating logs for the devs) instead of just thinking ā€œIā€™m only a simple customer. They wonā€™t listen to meā€ (I feel a bit guilty here)

Yep. I noticed that in the last days I didnā€™t have to turn of the GPS anymore. But I thought that was luck (I had such days before). Thanks for confirming that this is no coincidence

1 Like

@schurl is it solved on your HTC too?

@Stefan it is a ZTE ā€¦ and unfortunately, it seems not to be fixed (of course I tried a reboot, too); but I still have some pending contact with Drei ā€¦ maybe that helps. Itā€™s just interesting how this can be that ā€œphone specificā€ ā€¦

Yeah it is really weird!

PS sorry for the HTC/ZTE mix up. In my eyes it is a ā€œnot-a-Fairphoneā€. :wink:

problem solved! my gps also stays off since this weekend!
Thank you all for you efford to solve the problem. even though i am not really a technician, i am curious what drei finaly did to solve the issue?!

but most important: i am happy to have my fairphone back!

1 Like

Good that it also worked for others. Unfortunately I canā€™t tell what they did. As I am also no technician I did not really understand what the technician of Drei said about what they did and as the call was in the middle of my work I also did remember it.
Anyway, I am also happy that just one angry mail threatening with changing the provider helped :wink:
Eva

Sorry, but my GPS turned on again after about half an hour.
I am living at the Attersee.
I spent a week in Sweden - GPS stayed turned off - turned on automatically when I was back to Austria.

GPS still activates itselfā€¦ :frowning:
I had a rather dissapointing conversation with the technic-hotline of Drei where they told me, that this is ONLY the fault of Fairphone and that they canā€™t do nothing about it. A collegue of him sent me an update for my Simcard a week ago, but with no result.
Kind of frustrating, the GPS keeps sucking akku power.

Strange. Maybe the fix was not rolled out in your area? Iā€™ve been in the last 2 weeks in a number of regions (Attesee, Leoben, Vienna) and GPS didnā€™t turn itself on

Donā€™t think so. Iā€™ve been to vienna this weekend but same there. Others facing the same problem?
This thing is driving me mad and I want to throw my Fairphone after the tech support of Dreiā€¦
I thought it may has something to do with my kind of contract/sim card of Drei but trying with another one today produced the same problem.

Hello, itā€™s the same with my phone (FP1+Drei-Sim) ā€¦ GPS ist still activating itself ā€¦ nothing changed.
:worried:

I just wanted to add here that I am also still experiencing this bug, FP1U and Drei and living in Upper Austria.

Since about two days, the GPS Signal stopped to activate itself! It is the same as for my friend, we are living in different regions.

1 Like

nothing is solved.

this weekend is happening again, and here is why ā€¦

Sorry to intrude. Im italian and i frequently travel to Austria.
I dont own a fairphone but an ALPS S9920 with mediatek processor.
Since about 1 year when i roam in Austria with my TIM (Telecom Italia Mobile) sim
the GPS activates by itself.
After a lot of searching i found this is due to an illegally installed software by the producer,
the carrier IQ agent (look at wikipedia english and youll find detailed explanation).
I say illegally because I, as many, bought an Android phone to be sure nothing like
this could happen.
The CARRIER IQ company that was bought in 2015 by ATT, convinced the producers to
install this spy on many handphones, and also samsung and apple seem had it for some time.
CARRIER IQ then sold to the providers a software backend that collects data from the mobiles
connected to their network having this hook installed.
Of course me like many others, cant take away this gift we are given.
I find illegal the activation of this hook, because the providers know it was
installed illegally without any warning the end-users, and in any case there is no contract
that allows them to use my phone for their data collection or worse.
It is not clear what the software collects, someone said it can collect also the keypresses
on the keyboard of the mobile, for sure is able to activate when requested the gps and send
location information even if the user is unwilling to share the information
and disabled the entry in the setup.
It is a serious violation of the privacy made in austria for sure by 3 AT and T-Mobile.
I checked also with an austrian SIM of 3 AT and it does the same !!
In this way it discharges the battery in some hours and some could have maybe troubles
calling the emergency because of this.
From what i know and I check in Italy and Slovenia this never happend.

greetings