Google Apps can't be reinstalled

I am on 1.8.5 on the device, yes.

Okay. Clear the Cache Data of the Fairphone Updater app (settings -> apps), close all apps in the background after that -> open the Updater app again and go to Advanced Mode -> Google apps. While downloading keep the screen active this time (just keep tapping it every few seconds), should hopefully solve the issue.

Besides, you all have the storage upgrader installed already? or you using the old partition layout?

I installed the 1.8.5 Storage Updater version. Prior to storage updater the Recovery mode let me view he partition where you could drop zips to check out.

@ibes could it be that that Google Play APK is too late a version for what we’re running in Fairphone? There are a bunch of older ones here http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-play-store/

I use the FP1 and manually upgraded to 1.8.5 and don’t have the storage upgrader installed, but repartitioned with another method from XDA forum. I have no luck as well to reinstall GAPPS and get stuck in the loop.

Tried already to keep my screen active while installing GAPPS but it didn’t help

Than that is causing the issue, read my comment here: New software update Kola Nut 1.8.5 is ready

1.8.5 is installed and the partition is unified. I just went trough all the steps mentioned (clear cache of the updater, close all apps, open the updater and update through advanced -> google apps, kept the screen active and restarted) When the phone restarted it still said to reinstall g apps.

1 Like

manually updated to 1.8.5 with the unifier .zip

I unified through the updater app straight after I did the update (I had been delaying it because I didn’t want to bother setting my device up again, but seeing how my I had to do this after this update I decided to go through with the unification process.)

Do you need to have the Android Development Tools available on your PC to use the ADB sideload option?

Because frankly £288 for an Xperia Z3 Compact is probably worth less than the time I don’t have to faff around with that. Especially if it’s likely to be the same situation.

Is there an external tool that can reset the phone or is this the ADB stuff?

You can try to install Fairphone OS 1.8.5 manually.

Tried to install 1.6 to see if this helps.
Didn’t worked…

Hey,
I just updated to 1.8.5 and I guess everything runs like it should. After upgrading I changed the storage partition to the single partition like explained.
My problem is that i cannot download the Google Play Store and all the other google apps. When I hit the Google Installer widget it downloads for a few minutes and then reboots. But then there still are no google apps installed and the phone asks me again to install them. I did it a several times but nothing happens.
I hope someone can help me!!

Best,
Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

We investigated the issues with the 1.8.5 storage upgrade and there is something off in the google apps installation, which prevents it from installing correctly. We temporarily halted the availability of the 1.8.5 storage upgrade.

The developers are working on a new google apps package that will hopefully be available tomorrow to resolve the issue and enable you to re-install google apps.

4 Likes

I installed the Storage Upgrade for 1.8.5 with the ADB sideload, like you mentioned. Unfortunately I’m still stuck in the gapps installation loop.

Same problem here. No Google Apps and no way to get them. Arrrgh!

Sorry for the frustrations . I hope we will fix it tomorrow asap and you can reinstall gapps.

3 Likes

Same Problem Here … I repartioned my FP 1 (first Batch) , updatet manualy (updater did not do it propaly saying cache is full) and stuck around this circle of installing gapps .
Install it via updater
Reboot
Robot
Updater say there is no gapp…

I did install manually. But the first two times were giving me errors on updates due to the cache being full no matter Ho much I cleared updater data.

Therefore I did the unified 1.8.5 updater and now going to sdcard in recovery mode just shows an empty nameless folder so manual updating is no longer possible.