Google Apps can't be reinstalled

Yeah, looks exactly like this. And yes, 1.8.5 is successfully updated.

And with something went wrong I mean I cannot install google apps. It fails every time I try it in the updater.

Have you tried to run the update to 1.8.5 again (go to the Fairphone Updater’s Advanced Mode and click “Current Version Fairphone OS 1.8.5” and then “install”)?

In some cases something goes wrong during the update process, which is fixed by rerunning the update.

After I flashed it manually I did not re-run the installer.
Will it work although the updater app says my firmware is already the newest?

That’s what I’m saying. Click install although it says that your current version is 1.8.5! :slight_smile:

I encounctered a problem which I could not find discussed in the forum up to now:

• I get the error message “The process com.google.process.gapps was stopped” --> “OK”.

Background:

• I often notice the message directly after enabling WiFi, and I think it only appears, after the Playstore did an automatic update of itself
  • before the message a have grey WiFi symbol --> Message --> automatic update of playstore (–> sometimes message dissappears) --> blue WiFi
  • Problems just popped up after I updated with the FP-Updater from 1.6 --> 1.8.5 + installed successfull the GAPPS afterwards
    (for completelyness I did one additional step: 1.6 --> Pre-Update 1.8.5 --> GAPPS --> 1.8.5 --> GAPPS)
  • I have not applied the UnifiedStorageUpgrade yet
  • I can use GooglePlaystore + calender sync like normal, just the error message seems weird…

Any ideas? Wiping the cache from PlayStore-App (do I lose anything?)?
Cheers, Robert

Did you already download any app from the play store after the update? Usually that makes the wifi symbol stay blue and it might solve your other problem as well.

If you are planning to update your storage which is recommended you don’t need to try something like wiping the gapps cache, because you’ll have to reinstall gapps afterwards anyway. (Actually the storage update wipes everything so you should make a thorough backup first.)

Clearing a cache never deletes any user data (that’s why there is “erase data”). A cache is only preloaded stuff, which makes the app’s requests faster. See Wikipedia for more.

@paulakreuzer, @Stefan:

• also after installation and updating apps within the playstore, problem persists.
  • storage upgrade I planned to do later…when I am brave enough to trust my TitaniumBackup :wink:
  • WiFi symbol immediately gets blue after the error message (and most likely a canceled update of PlayStore)

Any other hints?

P.S.: just to avoid confusion: that’s problem here is with my FP, in the other thread it’s the FP from my sister… :wink:

I think the Storage Upgrade could actually solve your problem since it deletes everything on your phone. (Thus also the data, which causes issues.)

1 Like

ah, that was the point…quite radical solution :wink:
It remebers my to good old windows time to solve problems often read in forums: “format and set-up windows again from scratch - and your problems are gone”…It was everytime my most liked advice ever! joking :wink:

1 Like

I made it as far as the step where I am supposed to connect the phone to the PC, then enter the battery while pressing VOLUME UP (one reply states that it is the VOLUME DOWN that you need to press to enter factory mode). Either way (vol. up or down) nothing happens. If I press volume up I can select Recovery, Fastboot, Normal. If I press volume down the phone enters Factory mode. SP Flash doesn’t do anything (I did load the txt file and clicked download).
What to do? Please help.

unfortunately the download even of 1.6 quits after some seconds.

Whatever I try nothing works.
Not even flashing works.

I’d like to flash 1.6. or 1.8.5 I dont care, but flashing always quits with an error. I dont know why.

I do not know what to flash.

All downloads within the fairphone updater fail…

Can you please explain in detail how you flash (step by step), at what step the error occurs, and what exactly the error is?

Well, I tried to flash several versions of the fairphone OS. 1.8.5 binary image and 1.6 binary image, also OTA.
Both, unified storage and old storage layout.
I flashed by copying it to the sd card and via sideload (host is fedora linux). The OTA 1.8.5 FP1U &FP1 worked. Now 1.8.5 is running.

Trying to flash a binary image via sideload or from sd card fails with no visible error message. It is only saying that “installation has been aborted”.

If I try to download Gapps or 1.6 via the Fairphone updater, it simply cancels and returns to the prior screen. So no way to install it this way.

The phone is constantly connected to wifi. Other phones on the network are able to reach google network.

Have you tried a complete reset of the entire phone? I know it’s an annoying option but it could take care of many possible issues.

Hi to all,
I’ve started this conversation two months ago and then let everything hung up, without trying again to fix the problem.
To sum things up: I’ve just push the button the Fairphone Updater told me to do to upgrade the system version from Cherry 1.6 to Kola Nut 1.8.5. Then I’ve follow the instructions, then reinstall Google apps, and started an eternal loop of this procedure without managing to have Google apps back and Fairphone updater telling me to update to Kola Nut 1.8.5. It seems it will never ends!

But now I’ve started again to check what happens and:

The procedure to do it manually, as written in the link above, is really simple but I’ve a question about the steps 1 and 2:

• Step 1: Select the correct download file for your Fairphone model
  • Step 2: Connect the Fairphone with the USB cable to a computer. Then copy/paste the .zip file (keep it as a .zip file, so do not unzip it!) you just downloaded to the “Download” folder on the phone’s storage.

Where I’m supposed to do so? download the fil from the computer? or from the phone?
It seems I’ve to do it from the computer and the copy it to the Download folder of the phone, right?

After that, it says I have to go to Recovery mode on the FP. Will it be easy to go to the Download folder from the recovery mode? or there’s a trick to reach the folder, once the Recovery Mode is activated?

I just want to be sure it will be ok before I start. Thanks in advance for your help

Before you try the manual update: Did you try updating through the updater app with the “stay awake” option ticked (settings>developer options) and the phone plugged in? That usually does the trick.

About FP1/FP1U the important thing is whether your storage is unified (FP1U) or not. Go to Settings>Storage: If you have an internal AND abphone storage then your storage is not unified.

I did a manual update once and simply downloaded and run the file on the phone (without recovery). Worked perfectly.

1 Like

OMG it works!!
at least for the moment, it seems everything is OK now.
I hope I won’t have to take back my words…
Thank you very much @paulakreuzer

1 Like

Just great!

You need to be tech savvy to update the Fairphone software. Because someone “forgot” there are two versions of the phone. And it seems there was not made a fix for this during the last couple of months.

Are you trying to push Fairphone 2 on us?