Google Apps can't be reinstalled

Cool that you have made it work out :slight_smile:

what is that?

That is great! :wink: That is something @keesj should definitly look into: You say the Google Apps install was only possible with an SD card?

I wonder, btw. how you did the upgrade to 1.8.5. without sd card?

I don’t really get it and by now I am kind of annoyed.
Here is what I did:

• Fairphone of first batch without unified storage
  • at some point, I unified the storage with the fairphone updater (I think it was with 1.6)
  • time passed by
  • 1.8.5 released
  • I did the initial update
  • something went wrong
  • applied manual update of the 1.8.5 again
  • problem remains
  • fix came out (permanently granted root)
  • applied fix successfully
  • the state remains after reboot. Still not able to install Google Apps (Download starts within the fairphone updater but then suddenly the download stops and the updater returns to the screen before where I can hit “install” again.

Isn’t there a Gapps package that I can download and flash manually?
I am looking for a solution that solves this without wiping the whole thing.

If you unified your storage in 1.6 then you didn’t need to unify it again in 1.8.5 so you didn’t need the fix either.

I’m afraid no.

You could first try just wiping the updater app’s cache and data.

I didnt unify the storage again. I picked the update file for devices with already unified storage (for the manual update)
The fix was presented in another thread as to solve the google apps issue.
However clearing data of the fairphone updater brings no solution at all.

This fix was for people who installed the buggy 1.8.5 storage upgrade before it was retracted on May 20th.
It did solve the Gapps problem for these people but it was never meant for people who already unified the storage before 1.8.5.

Btw, what exactly did you mean with:

Did you successfully update to 1.8.5 or didn’t it work yet? (The updater app should look like this)

Yeah, looks exactly like this. And yes, 1.8.5 is successfully updated.

And with something went wrong I mean I cannot install google apps. It fails every time I try it in the updater.

Have you tried to run the update to 1.8.5 again (go to the Fairphone Updater’s Advanced Mode and click “Current Version Fairphone OS 1.8.5” and then “install”)?

In some cases something goes wrong during the update process, which is fixed by rerunning the update.

After I flashed it manually I did not re-run the installer.
Will it work although the updater app says my firmware is already the newest?

That’s what I’m saying. Click install although it says that your current version is 1.8.5! :slight_smile:

I encounctered a problem which I could not find discussed in the forum up to now:

• I get the error message “The process com.google.process.gapps was stopped” --> “OK”.

Background:

• I often notice the message directly after enabling WiFi, and I think it only appears, after the Playstore did an automatic update of itself
  • before the message a have grey WiFi symbol --> Message --> automatic update of playstore (–> sometimes message dissappears) --> blue WiFi
  • Problems just popped up after I updated with the FP-Updater from 1.6 --> 1.8.5 + installed successfull the GAPPS afterwards
    (for completelyness I did one additional step: 1.6 --> Pre-Update 1.8.5 --> GAPPS --> 1.8.5 --> GAPPS)
  • I have not applied the UnifiedStorageUpgrade yet
  • I can use GooglePlaystore + calender sync like normal, just the error message seems weird…

Any ideas? Wiping the cache from PlayStore-App (do I lose anything?)?
Cheers, Robert

Did you already download any app from the play store after the update? Usually that makes the wifi symbol stay blue and it might solve your other problem as well.

If you are planning to update your storage which is recommended you don’t need to try something like wiping the gapps cache, because you’ll have to reinstall gapps afterwards anyway. (Actually the storage update wipes everything so you should make a thorough backup first.)

Clearing a cache never deletes any user data (that’s why there is “erase data”). A cache is only preloaded stuff, which makes the app’s requests faster. See Wikipedia for more.

@paulakreuzer, @Stefan:

• also after installation and updating apps within the playstore, problem persists.
  • storage upgrade I planned to do later…when I am brave enough to trust my TitaniumBackup :wink:
  • WiFi symbol immediately gets blue after the error message (and most likely a canceled update of PlayStore)

Any other hints?

P.S.: just to avoid confusion: that’s problem here is with my FP, in the other thread it’s the FP from my sister… :wink:

I think the Storage Upgrade could actually solve your problem since it deletes everything on your phone. (Thus also the data, which causes issues.)

1 Like

ah, that was the point…quite radical solution :wink:
It remebers my to good old windows time to solve problems often read in forums: “format and set-up windows again from scratch - and your problems are gone”…It was everytime my most liked advice ever! joking :wink:

1 Like

I made it as far as the step where I am supposed to connect the phone to the PC, then enter the battery while pressing VOLUME UP (one reply states that it is the VOLUME DOWN that you need to press to enter factory mode). Either way (vol. up or down) nothing happens. If I press volume up I can select Recovery, Fastboot, Normal. If I press volume down the phone enters Factory mode. SP Flash doesn’t do anything (I did load the txt file and clicked download).
What to do? Please help.

unfortunately the download even of 1.6 quits after some seconds.

Whatever I try nothing works.
Not even flashing works.

I’d like to flash 1.6. or 1.8.5 I dont care, but flashing always quits with an error. I dont know why.

I do not know what to flash.

All downloads within the fairphone updater fail…

Can you please explain in detail how you flash (step by step), at what step the error occurs, and what exactly the error is?