gMTP and Open FP2

Hello, I want to use gMTP in Debian to transfer my FP2 (with Fairphone Open OS) files. I have installed gmtp, libmtp-common, libmtp-dbg, libmtp-dev, libmtp-runtime, libmtp9 and mtp-tools packages in my computer. But gMTP shows an error message when I try to connect my FP2 (I select transfer files with MTP in my FP2, previously). Any solution?

can you please quote the exact error message?

Which Debian version are you running?
I suppose you installed gMTP from the repos? If not, which version?
Which FP Open OS Version are you running?

I can’t tell about gMTP but I recently had no connection to my FP2 in Fedora LXQt because mtpfs wasn’t available. I installed simple-mtpfs, created a mountpoint with mkdir FP2 and mounted the connected Fairphone 2 by issuing simple-mtpfs FP2. It then turned up in my file manager. That’s all.

Edit:

Do you mean to transfer files with gMTP? Its manpage says it’s an MP3 player for MTP based devices. You really should reconsider your choice, I think.

1 Like

gMTP has in my experience (FP1 and various Slackware distros) always been a bid dodgy, often requiring multiple attempts to connect.
It could be a matter of what file manager you use. Caja and Thunar recognises my FP1 directly after connecting the USB, while SpaceFM does not. An oddity: my PC has three USB ports. One of them gives a constant 5V output (for charging), the other two ‘dies’ when the computer is turned off. If I connect to the first port, my phone is not recognised at all.
It could also depend on the USB cable. Some charger cables are less suitable for data transfer.

I have used gMTP with my FP2 and it has always gone well for me. But recently I’ve gone from Debian 8 to 9 doing a clean install and, therefore, I had to reinstall everything. I have read that for gMTP to work you need to configure /etc/sudoer. The issue is that I do not remember how it was configured gMTP in Debian 8, which did not give me problems.

An obvious alternative is to run gMTP as root (that was how I did it earlier since I’m a bit careful about adding stuff to /sudoers).

1 Like

When I open gMTP with Terminal, it says this:

$ gmtp
Device 0 (VID=2ae5 and PID=9039) is a Fairphone Fairphone 2 OS.
ignoring libusb_claim_interface() = -6PTP_ERROR_IO: failed to open session, trying again after resetting USB interface
LIBMTP libusb: Attempt to reset device
ignoring libusb_claim_interface() = -6LIBMTP PANIC: failed to open session on second attempt
Detectar: No se puede abrir el dispositivo de primas?
LIBMTP PANIC: Trying to dump the error stack of a NULL device!
LIBMTP PANIC: Trying to clear the error stack of a NULL device!

As root, similar result. :worried:

Is it vital for you to use gMTP? Or is it enough if the phone shows up in your ordinary file manager?

If the latter, does it not show up? It ought to (unless you’re running an old Debian version). If not, you may try to mount the phone using for example jmtpfs (see http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/trusty/man1/jmtpfs.1.html )

1 Like

I would like to continue using the gMTP application since it is very comfortable and I have always worked well.

~$ jmtpfs ~/mnt
Device 0 (VID=2ae5 and PID=9039) is a Fairphone Fairphone 2 OS.
ignoring libusb_claim_interface() = -6PTP_ERROR_IO: failed to open session, trying again after resetting USB interface
LIBMTP libusb: Attempt to reset device
ignoring libusb_claim_interface() = -6LIBMTP PANIC: failed to open session on second attempt
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'MtpErrorCantOpenDevice’
what(): Can’t open device
Abortado

Why don’t you consider simple-mtpfs as I described in my post above?

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.