Gesture typing (Swipe) Function not available without Google Keyboard

Well I agree that the misleading settings item is a bug but since I have no idea whether it’s a FP bug or not I just added it to the feature requests list. You can vote there by :heart: liking the post.
I guess the easiest way to “fix the bug” would be to remove the option to turn on gesture typing from the settings unless you install Google Keyboard. But I think you’d rather have the feature added for the standard AOSP keyboard, hence -> Feature request.

5 Likes

Hey,

Small issue: in FP2, while typing a message - the ‘swipe’-function (where you form words by going from letter to letter) does not seem to work and there is no previously installed dictionary; except for the names of my contacts: dictionary (Dutch) is becoming ‘larger’, because the words I type seem to be saved.

Input via momevent is ticked on, …

anyone has the same problem?

Cheers!

Android (AOSP) keyboard does still not support “swype.” (although there’s a setting). You have to change to Google keyboard (or others) instead. You may search for more details in this forum, it has already been discussed somewhere)

Android (AOSP) keyboard DOES support “swype”. I have been using it on cyanogen with my old phone. So I think adding the supposed missing library would be great

5 Likes

I am using Fairphone Open OS & I don’t want to use Google Keyboard, but I REALLY want to use swype input… frustrating! Is there another workaround or FOSS keyboard that supports it? (I like AnySoftKeyboard but still no swipe)

Edit: I tried just replacing the library as explained here but it had no effect… working on it

4 Likes

I am the same here, I’d like to keep it minimal. Did you find any solution for that “swipe” issue?
I’d like not to have to download more apps or features…

Especially now that the Google Keyboard (Gboard) starts connecting to the internet to download things like GIFs, I’d like to stick with the AOSP Keyboard. But I miss gesture typing very much.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 53 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.