Roaming fix (O2, Eplus and MVNO's)

Hey Y’all,

It took a while however we finally have a fix ready for the people that have roaming issues with their network. I will try to keep it as simple as possible (feedback/suggestions are welcome and appreciated).

:uk: - German instructions below

1. First of all you have to make sure to have installed the pre-update (our new Fairphone updater app) if you are running 1.8.5 Kola Nut, then no worries, you’re good to go.

2. Now open the browser on your phone and browse to the correct TinyURL link:

1. When the download is finished open the File Manager app on your phone (this app is on your phone by default)
    Navigate to → internal storage → MyFavorite → Tick on the Roaming fix image .zip

2. The Fairphone updater should open (or it should give you the option to open with the Fairphone updater)
    Tick on restart and your phone should restart and install the roaming fix.

3. After the update has been installed you will need to reinstall the app store again (if you have this installed). Please follow our interactive tutorial to help you out with this. How to reinstall Google Apps

:de:

1. Als erstes musst du sichergehen, dass du den Pre-Update (die neue Fairphone Updater App) installiert hast. Wenn dein Fairphone mit 1.8.5 Kola Nut läuft bist du auf der sicheren Seite.

2. Öffne jetzt deinen Browser auf dem Phone und klicke auf den entsprechenden link:

1. Wenn der Download fertig ist starte die Datei. Wenn du den Standardbrowser verwendest findest du die Datei im Dateimanager unter ‘Interner Speicher > Meine Favoriten’.

2. Die Fairphone Updater App sollte starten und den Fix ausführen. Wähle “Neustart”, wenn danach gefragt wird.

3. Nach dem Neustart sollte der Fix installiert sein und du wirst den Google App Store neu installieren müssen (wenn du ihn brauchst). Es gibt auch ein Interaktives Tutorial dafür

You can also download the correct update file above and follow the manual installation article if the above explanation is too complicated.

If you are still unable to update then please reply here and we will try to help you further.
Or you can send me a PM (Please note that I am not here all the time but will try to keep an eye out)
As a last resort you can also send our support team a ticket and then we will help you there as soon as possible.

Thanks! :smile:

-Techaddict

11 Likes

Does it mean we can currently use both networks if we enable roaming or not? As I understand your post, you say the update will enable to use both networks without roaming enabled. Is this understanding correct?

Yes this is correct and if you are not sure we recommend to get in touch with your provider just in case.

Are there any downsides to enabling roaming? The only one I can imagine is that if you are near a border you might actually roam into a network of the bordering country which might incurs roaming costs.

Are there any other problems which I don’t see?

3 Likes

Yeah that is the only problem that could occur.

1 Like

Thx++ for working on this

I’ve got also the same ennoying roaming problem with 1&1 here in Berlin. I had it also two monthes ago elsewhere in Germany …I would also like to get a response with instructions as soon as things are finalized :grin:

Hey im german but im not that good in english.
Can someone explain me what i have to do with roaming problems?

@Lenja_Kinixx here is a Wiki Post with a Workaround, but the official solution might come soon.

https://forum.fairphone.com/t/de-falsche-roaming-warnung-in-deutschland-seit-april-2015-wiki/5468?u=paulakreuzer&source_topic_id=6827

O2 und E-Plus haben ihre Netze zusammengelegt. Mobiltelefone nutzen das jeweilige andere Netz automatisch, wenn es die bessere Alternative ist.

Allerdings weiß das Fairphone noch nichts von der Zusammenlegung. Das kann nur durch ein Softwareupdate aktualisiert werden. Bis dahin denkt das Smartphone, dass es in einem fremden Netz ist und zeigt das “R” für Roaming an, obwohl es sich im Inland befindet und für dich keine anderen Kosten als beim Originalnetz entstehen.

Das Problem ist nur, dass im Normalfall das Mobiltelefon so eingestellt ist, dass im Ausland die Datenverbindung nicht aktiviert ist um hohe Kosten zu vermeiden (die in diesem Fall allerdings sowieso nicht entstehen, weil die Netze ja vereint wurden). Immer wenn du also das “R” siehst, hast du keine mobile Datenverbindung außer du aktivierst das in den Einstellungen.

Das geht wie folgt (Mein Fairphone ist auf English, deshalb kann es sein, dass die Übersetzungen leicht anders sind als ich hier schreibe):

Einstellungen > Drahtlos und Netzwerke > SIM Management > Roaming > Daten Roaming

Hier kannst du für jede deiner zwei SIM-Karten einstellen ob im Roaming Datennutzung aktiviert ist.

Wichtig
Wenn das Datenroaming aktiviert ist, kann es im Ausland oder in Grenznähe (also in den Fällen, in denen du wirklich in einem ausländischen Netz eingebucht bist) zu sehr hohen Kosten kommen. Falls du dich also im Ausland oder in Grenznähe aufhältst, solltest du das Datenroaming wieder deaktivieren.

1 Like

Dankeschön erstmal :slight_smile:
Gibt es denn schon ein update das das behebt?

Noch nicht, aber:

Das wäre dann wohl nächste Woche, wenn nichts dazwischen kommt…

1 Like

The fix is available, please read the edited first message. :slight_smile:
Edit: maybe one of you awesome Germans can also help translate it? (pretty please :wink: )

2 Likes

Done.
Just one question:

Wouldn’t it be under ‘downloads’?

1 Like

The default browser that comes with the Fairphone stores it at MyFavorite (for god knows what reason - lol)

1 Like

Thanks for the update. Is there any way to check whether I am using both O2 + Eplus network?

It depends. If you have a contract with O2, it shows O2+ as the connected network (e.g., if you draw down the notification bar). AFAIK, there is no indicator for customers of E-Plus. That information is a few weeks old, there could be more available now.

1 Like

If you want to know on which network you are, you can use Netinfo app

You can get it on play or on f-Droid. It shows the Network and the strength of the signal (2G, 3G, 4G),
when you switch on the data usage.

Without data usage you can get your carrier name with roaming info app.

1 Like

hey,
i installed kola nut 1.8.5 but i still have a big “R”. I thought, installing the update would make the R dissapear. What shall i do now?

Look at the first post. It will tell you how to install the fix.