🇬🇧 đŸ‡©đŸ‡Ș Which mobile phone did you use before the Fairphone 2?

1. Which mobile phone did you use before the Fairphone 2?

A Samsung Galaxy S3 mini

2. How long did you use your last mobile phone?

About three years and it was actually still working fine until I lost it
 :frowning:

3. How many mobile phones did you use before the Fairphone 2?

Phew. About eight.

Alcatel Brickstone, don’t remember the model (second hand)
Siemens C25 (second hand)
Nokia 3310 (second hand)
Siemens A55 (new but it died after 2 years or so)
Nokia 3100 (new)
Nokia 6610i (second hand)
Sony Ericsson K310i (new)
Samsung Slider, don’t know the model (second hand)

4. How many smartphones did you use before the Fairphone 2?

Two, a second hand iPhone 3G that actually worked perfectly fine until Apple decided to stop updating the OS for this model and I couldn’t use some apps any more :angry:
And then my Samsung S3 mini.

5. Why have you decided not to use your old mobile phone anymore?

Lost the old one, really annoying

6. Why have you chosen a Fairphone and not another smartphone?

I like the concept and I want to support the idea of fair electronics. I don’t want to have to buy something new every two years and I’d rather have something reliable that lasts for a loooooong time than the newest technology that is gonna be outdated in any case after one year.

7. Have you bought the Fairphone 2 by yourself, did you get it as a present or where did you get the Fairphone 2?

Bought it myself and I can’t wait for it to arrive!!

1 Like

Samsung Xcover (first edition).

Must be about 3 years. Only had to replace the batteries before last summer. Now it will become a second phone for my significant other (after flashing cyanogen on it to get rid of the bloatware and finally have an OS upgrade).

5 (in about 15 years)

4 (of which one was the openmoko phone)

• bloatware
  • only phone so need a second one to experiment with cyanogen
  • was getting difficult to install new apps
  • OS (android 2.3) was getting ridiculously out of date

Fairness in materials, processes and OS.

By myself.

1 Like

Do you want to experiment with CyanogenMod only with your Samsung Xcover or also with your Fairphone 2?

In first instance only with the Samsung. I’ll wait and see how the Android 6 upgrade will be handled.

1 Like

A motorola defy+ because it was small and neat, rugged, repairable, could take an SD card and had replaceable batteries

About 2 years

A first gen phillips one (it was awful). Two nokias in succession, abandoned by a client with PAYG sims. A Nokia 3210i, then another Nokia (after the first one was dropped in hot detergent and died!), then a Samsung u900 (swish but awful).

I still have the final nokia - it’s indestructible and still the best phone I have for making phone calls!

A 1st gen moto defy running android 2.1 - it bricked and was replaced whilst I tried to mend it. It works again now but I have no use for it.

A moto defy + (android 2.3 with no option to upgrade and probably not the processing power to support an upgrade)

It’s getting slower and slower under the weight of recent apps’ processing demands. It doesn’t do 4G. Sometimes it just won’t answer a call as it’s “too busy” (presumably telling google all about me!)

6. Why have you choosed a Fairphone and not another smartphone?

Wanted to support a “fair” product initiative. It’s repairable and the battery is exchangeable.

Apart from being a bit big, not terribly rugged and rather expensive it meets my requirements spec.

I was about to buy an LG4C when my son showed my fairphone.

7. Have you bought the Fairphone 2 by yourself, did you get it as a present or where did you get the Fairphone 2?

My company bought it for me to use for business (I own the company ;ÂŹ) )

1 Like

LG 65 (low cost 4,3" Android 4.2)

2 years

4x since 2008

3x since 2011

I cannot hack it e.g. like my LG 620 (open-eve) with cyanogen-mod , LG doesnot update its cheap phones

6. Why have you choosed a Fairphone and not another smartphone?
Because you may hack it without risk and its modular assembly, because sailfish-OS can be expected

In fact I found (myself) and purchased it by my own earnings ( not too bad :slight_smile: However I compared with FP1 which I didnot find too attractive but learned already about it descently. Everybody needs a 2nd chance :wink:

1 Like

I’m using a Samsung Galaxy Nexus, got it used from a friend.

I think I use it for a year now.[quote=“TobiasF, post:1, topic:11524”]
[/quote]
1 or 2 Siemens, 1 Nokia, 2 or 3 Sony Ericsson.
All phones I replaced, because someone gave me a better phone. Likewise I gave the old ones to people, if they needed one. So all phones for free until 

I bought a used Sony Ericsson P1I, if you want to call that a smartphone. I liked this one very much btw (still really miss the awesome keyboard) and would have used it longer, if Android didn’t have become omnipresent in between. Then a Mobistel T1, which was my “test” smartphone I got with my first mobile internet contract. Phone per se is ok, but the software updates stopped, for a long time there was no CM available, and then it started to develop weird bugs (software I guess, but I never had the nerv to figure it out). This one contains my second SIM at the moment, and goes to a friend for playing around with CM when my FP2 ist here. This is also the reason I got the Nexus.

Battery is failing hard, I tried to order a new one without success (they were all shit). The original one is not available anymore. Also GPS is not working nicely, the screen is too small 
 and it was a long term lease, so it will go back to it’s owner.

Because of the points in the last question I’m looking for smartphones for a year or so 
 could never decide to actually order one.
Then I got a link with an article about fairphone from a friend. A modular phone, what a revelation! I’ve always used desktop computers, because I hate it when you have to throw something away, because one part is broken or you want to update it. So the modularity of a smartphone was just the next logical step. I would love it if there would be some kind of standard like with computers, and the possibility to assemble a phone like you want it.
Then I read a lot on the FP homepage, making the phone more and more convincing. And of course, of course this incredible simple but brilliant idea to making the cover a bumper 
 no need to buy a hideous bumper hiding a nice looking phone anymore! Got even more excited when they anounced the different covers. And so on and so on :smile:
So that after a good while I decided to order.
Btw, I would love if Fairphone or another manufacturer, for that matter, would somehow manage to update the FP2 (hardwarewise), so if the processor is outdated it would be possible to get a new center module without actually to have to buy a whole new phone.[quote=“TobiasF, post:1, topic:11524”]
[/quote][quote=“Arvil, post:7, topic:11524”]
Bought it myself, for myself, with money from my first real job :smile:
[/quote] That. (Another reason for the phone, I could suddenly afford something like that (originally I didn’t want to spend more than 200 euro))

1 Like
  1. Which mobile phone did you use before the Fairphone 2?`

Samsung Galaxy S5

1. How long did you use your last mobile phone?

1.5 years

1. How many mobile phones did you use before the Fairphone 2?

don’t know - maybe 20?

1. How many smartphones did you use before the Fairphone 2?

around 10

1. Why have you decided not to use your old mobile phone anymore?

because I want to use the FP2

1. Why have you chosen a Fairphone and not another smartphone?

because it is fair, it makes sense from an ecological point of view, it is open, it is modular, it is cool, people doing and / or using it usually have a mindset which I want to support - I guess I value it as “the right thing to do” from my private moral point of view.

1. Have you bought the Fairphone 2 by yourself, did you get it as a present or where did you get the Fairphone 2?

bought it myself

I am still doing my calculation stuff and have to summit some paper work. I’ll update you as soon as possible (latest: in the beginning of February)!:elephant:

2 Likes

alrighty

[quote=“tofra, post:1, topic:11524”]

Samsung Galaxy S1

1. How long did you use your last mobile phone?
    Mid 2010 - 29.12.2015
 Samsung Galaxy S 1

2. How many mobile phones did you use before the Fairphone 2

Alcatel One touch easy
Ericsson t28s
Nokia 8210
Nokia 6210
Alcatel
Ericsson gf 768 blue
Samsung galaxy s 1
maybe 1 more missing

1. How many smartphones did you use before the Fairphone 2?

Just the Galaxy S 1

1. Why have you decided not to use your old mobile phone anymore?

With a Single core and an outdated os, it was just not able to handle modern software anymore.

1. Why have you chosen a Fairphone and not another smartphone?

Because Fairphone rocks :blush:

1. Have you bought the Fairphone 2 by yourself, did you get it as a present or where did you get the Fairphone 2?

Its all mine :heart_eyes:

1 Like

:de:

1 Welches Mobiltelefon hast du vor dem Fairphone 2 benutzt?

HTC One V

(2) Wie lange hast du dein letztes Mobiltelefon benutzt?

> 4 Jahre

(3) Wie viele Mobiltelefone hast du vor dem Fairphone 2 benutzt?

7 (2 Motorolas, 2 Nokias, Sony W810i, 2 Smartphones (s.u.))

(4) Wie viele Smartphones hast du vor dem Fairphone 2 benutzt?

2 (HTC XDA Diamond (mit Windows :worried:), HTC One V)

(5) Warum hast du beschlossen, dein altes Mobiltelefon nicht mehr zu benutzen?

1. Bildschirm war seit 2 Jahren gesprungen (Steuerung war aber noch möglich) und hin und wieder lösten sich weitere Teile des Glases aus der einen Ecke.
  2. GPS-Sensor hat nicht mehr funktioniert
  3. Einschaltknopf kaum noch funktionstĂŒchtig (Hauptgrund)
  4. Rahmen hat sich abgelöst → man konnte das Innere des Telefons quasi aus dem Rahmen hebeln, wenn man an der einen Ecke von hinten auf das GerĂ€t gedrĂŒckt hat (Ă€hnlich wie beim FP2, nur eben als Fehlfunktion :laughing:)

(6) Warum hast du dich fĂŒr ein Fairphone entschieden und nicht fĂŒr ein anderes Smartphone?

HauptsĂ€chlich wegen der Fairness. Ich achte seit einigen Jahren in allen Lebensbereichen darauf, dass mein Konsum nicht dazu beitrĂ€gt, dass Arbeiter ausgebeutet werden. Außerdem mag ich den nicht-kommerziellen und nicht auf Gewinnmaximierung ausgerichteten geschĂ€ftlichen Ansatz des Fairphone-Projekts.

(7) Hast du dir dein Fairphone 2 selbst gekauft, es geschenkt bekommen oder wie bist du ans Fairphone 2 gekommen?

Ich habe es als ca. 995ster selbst bestellt und dann zu Weihnachten geschenkt bekommen :wink:

Samsung Galaxy Note (first generation, with CyanogenMod 12.1)

about 3,5 years

Not exactly sure. About 8 to 10 (since 1997).

3:
Sony Ericsson P990i (2007)
HTC Desire Z (2010)
Samsung Galaxy Note (2012)

Hardware started to fail (USB port, buttons).

Because it’s Dual-SIM, modular, repairable, robust, open (more or less).

Bought it myself.

(1) Which mobile phone did you use before the Fairphone 2?

Sony Ericcson W810i. Really durable and versatile phone. Served me great for many years!

(2) How long did you use your last mobile phone?

I bought it in 2006 when I started my studies and we celebrated its 9th birthday last september. So it was a bit more than 9 years.

(3) How many mobile phones did you use before the Fairphone 2?

Only the one Sony Ericcson.

(4) How many smartphones did you use before the Fairphone 2?

None. The FP2 is my first.

(5) Why have you decided not to use your old mobile phone anymore?

Several reasons. It was doing really great and I pimped it up quite a lot. If you invest some time and do some research the W810i can do a lot of stuff! So I had Opera Mini with tabbed browsing, Skype, an app for regional trains and subway schedules and it was synching with my Google and Lotus Notes calendars. But at some point during the last year Google changed the API and noone was programming new software for these old phones anymore. Skype stopped working 3 years ago when it was bought by Microsoft. In the end it started falling apart due to old age as well, so I figured it was time for a new phone. I had skipped the first generation FP because I felt my old W810i would still cut it a little longer. I hate throwing things away that are still working. And I enjoy squeezing the longest life possible out of my devices :slight_smile:

(6) Why have you chosen a Fairphone and not another smartphone?

I care about topics of sustainability, global distribution of wealth and power and I kind of hate the consumerist model of life that we are all trapped in. So I try to make as many conscious buying decisions as I can and I just had to support this project as I really want it to succeed and go on. Unfortunately I will be a bad customer, as I intend to keep this device for as long as it’s anyhow possible :stuck_out_tongue:

(7) Have you bought the Fairphone 2 by yourself, did you get it as a present or where did you get the Fairphone 2?

I bought it for myself on the very first day of the preorder period (I think the counter of sold phones was showing 45) as I had planned to hold out with my old phone and wait for the FP2 to arrive. And now I’m really really happy with it :slight_smile:

2 Likes
  1. I used a Samsung Galaxy S (GT-I9000).
  2. Just a little bit over 5 years.
  3. I had the SGS, two (company owned) dumbphones (from 2001 and ~2005) and a company SGS3 mini (for approx. 2-3 years now).
  4. Just the two ones mentioned above.
  5. It was soooo slow

6. I totally fell for the ideas of fairness, longevitiy and modularity - and hpe, the FP2 will serve me well for another five years.
  7. Since I’m the family nerd, I had to buy it myself (preordered it in July).

FP1

seit 2 jahre und immer noch ;D

Nexus S

Nexus S und FP1

Nexus S - Fehlende SD Karte, Veraltete OS, Kein DUAL SIM. NO ROOT.

umweltfreundlicher gestaltet und sozialer produziert. Bessere Arbeitsbedingungen. Worker Welfare Fund. Modular. Oeffen.

Selbst gekauft und weiterempfohlen beim freundeskreis

1 Like

[quote=“tofra, post:1, topic:11524, full:true”]
:flag_gb: I have some little survey for Fairphone 2 owners:

Huawei (Second Hand)
    about 3-4 weeks
    old school phones: 6, smartphones: 4
    4 (all second hand and 1 wasn’t even mine)
    Because I got my FP2;D Also, because it was of very low quality and no fun to use anymore
  6. Why have you chosen a Fairphone and not another smartphone?
    Because for what it stand for and believes in. I believe in the same things:)
    Online, myself:)
1 Like

:flag_de: Ich habe eine kleine Umfrage fĂŒr Fairphone-2-Besitzer:

1. Welches Mobiltelefon hast du vor dem Fairphone 2 benutzt?

Fairphone 1

1. Wie lange hast du dein letztes Mobiltelefon benutzt?

2,5 Jahre FP1, ca. 7 Jahre Nokia 6230i, ca. 15 Jahre Palm (III, M500, TX) :wink:

1. Wie viele Mobiltelefone hast du vor dem Fairphone 2 benutzt?

nur die beiden, FP1 und Nokia 6230i, und eben die Palms

1. Wie viele Smartphones hast du vor dem Fairphone 2 benutzt?

Nur FP1.
Handy und Palm sind in Kombination praktisch das gleiche (und haben Vorteile, Redundanz z.B.).
Um den Palm zu ersetzten brauchte ich jede Menge Apps, und eins funktioniert bis heute nicht: einfache Synchronisation zwischen Outlook Notizen und Handy (ja ich weiß, MyPhoneExplorer, der ist super, aber nicht einfach
)
Und ĂŒberhaupt, Synchronisation: Alles, was nicht auf dem Exchange-Server liegt, muß man App fĂŒr App synchronisieren, beim Palm war das ein Knopfdruck, und der komplette Speicher war auch gleich gesichert. Und schließlich: Neuer Palm, ins Cradle, Knopf drĂŒcken, alles da (sogar wenn der alte tot war, alles im Rechner). Beim FP2 hat mich das Tage gekostet, und immer wieder mußte ich das FP1 zum Leben erwecken und vergessene Daten speichern und rĂŒberziehen.

1. Warum hast du beschlossen, dein altes Mobiltelefon nicht mehr zu benutzen?

A: vom Palm zum FP1: der Palm hatte immer mehr Macken, Display/Digitizer, langsame Apps, insbesondere Internet, keine Weiterentwicklung mehr.
B. vom FP1 zum FP2: das USB-Lötstellen-Problem, von ersten Symptomen zu fast keine Verbindung ĂŒber USB möglich in drei Wochen :worried:

1. Warum hast du dich fĂŒr ein Fairphone entschieden und nicht fĂŒr ein anderes Smartphone?

Als einen Nachfolger fĂŒr den Palm suchte, habe ich lange ĂŒberlegt (I-Phone, Windows, Android). Als ich vom Fairphone hörte, war sofort klar; das muß es sein. Im Prinzip war ich zufrieden, die meisten Probleme waren Android-spezifisch, nicht FP1-spezifisch. Nun ja, die Kamera ist nicht toll, das GPS ist grottig (es funktionierte zwar, aber manchmal dauerte es ewig bis zum Fix, dann ging er verloren, oder ich war immer 50 m neben der Straße, und die Richtung stimmte auch oft nicht (ĂŒbrigens glaube ich dass das nur zum Teil am GPS liegt, der Kompass ist auch ziemlich schlecht, wenn auch vielleicht nur bei mir). Das Akku-Problem (bloating Battery) wurde vom Service durch einen schnellen Ersatz gelöst. Nur das sporadische Ladeproblem ist geblieben.
Dick und schwer stört mich weniger, es macht einen wertigen Eindruck. NatĂŒrlich bekommt man ein technisch gleichwertiges GerĂ€t fĂŒr die HĂ€lfte, aber das war es mir wert.
Mit dem FP2 sollte jetzt alles besser werden. Nun ja, es ist grĂ¶ĂŸer (gut zum Benutzen, schlecht fĂŒr das Zubehör (GĂŒrteltaschen, Autohalterung (VW :worried:), Fahrradhalterung), wirkt aber billiger. Die Kamera ist vielleicht etwas besser, habe ich kaum getestet (wer ein wirklich gutes Kamera-Handy braucht, sollte sich mal das LG G4 5,5" ansehen, sorry for that), das GPS ist um Klassen besser, so muß es sein.
Aber: Was habe ich von Dual Sim, wenn ich nicht im Adressbuch festlegen kann, wen ich mit welcher Nummer anrufe? Das ging beim FP1, warum nicht hier? Und jedes mal wÀhlen ist auch keine Alternative, soll ja auch problematisch sein.
Und: Warum geht USB OTG nicht? Ich habe noch keinen Stick gefunden, der funktioniert. EDIT: Ab 1.6.2 geht’s! Das einzige, was geht, ist der Fotoapparat: Anschließen ĂŒber den OTG-Adapter, am Fotoapparat (Panasonic!) PictBridge auswĂ€hlen, und der Android Photo-Importer öffnet sich, Photos markieren und importieren, schon ist alles auf dem Handy, zum Ansehen, gesichert etc

1. Hast du dir dein Fairphone 2 selbst gekauft, es geschenkt bekommen oder wie bist du ans Fairphone 2 gekommen?

Selbst gekauft, am Wochenende bestellt, am Dienstag(!) angekommen.

1 Like