🇬🇧 🇩🇪 Generic battery to replace FP1 battery (⚠️see first post for warning)

That’s really helpful, thanks - have now looked & yes the 3600 batteries are twice as thick as the 1800 ones so wouldn’t fit in the FP. Have now ordered an 1800 one & look forward to having FP1 for more years :smiley:

3 Likes

Gerrit actually did use a 3600 one for his mother’s FP1 … but see what it took him to make it fit :wink:

1 Like

Wow, that’s impressive! I’ve ordered an 1800 one :wink:

Hi all, has anybody experience with this battery for Fairphone 1?

Thanks!

It has the same size as the Huawei battery.

1 Like

The vhbw battery I had gauge problems with is on its way back to the seller

I bought a Huawei one (11.90 € + shipment):

And it works fine, no more switch off at 50%.

3 Likes

Hallo,
welchen Akku mit hartem Spacer kann ich wo kaufen. Diese Suche nach einer geeigneten FP1 Batterie ist ja zeitraubend.
Ich kann nicht verstehen, das es für ein nachhaltig hergestelltes Mobilphone (FP) nach wenigen Jahren schon keine Batterie, das Herzstück eines Handys, gibt.
Vielleicht rettet mich nun eine Eigenbau-Alternative.
Freue mich über Nachricht, danke vorab.
Dorit

Versuchs zu verstehen, dann geht das schon. :wink: Es ist so, dass die meisten Produzenten von Handykomponenten keine so kleinen Stückzahlen produzieren und schon gar nicht unter den Bedingungen, die Fairphone fordert.

Dafür hat die Community recht bald Alternativen gefunden. Spacer machst du dir am besten selbst, alles andere ist überteuert.

1 Like

@Dorit_Ayurveda_Kermi

Insbesondere der Spacer aus Silikon von jubatec ist zu flexibel und hält den Akku nicht richtig in Position. Bei mir tut es ein gefalteter fester Karton. Temperaturen, bei denen das entflammen könnte dürften ausgeschlossen sein.
Die Akkualternativen sind ja im Thread genannt, so dass die Suche eigentlich ganz fix gehen sollte.

Die Angaben zur Verfügbarkeit in dem Posting sind natürlich obsolet.

Wenn Du einen 3D Drucker hast, kannst Du den Spacer auch wie im vorstehend verlinkten Possting gezeigt (mit Link zu thingiverse.com) anfertigen:

1 Like

One year later, nearly, some news on the generic battery…
It works just fine enough for me.
Usually I don’t drain the battery too much: the phone is very often plugged as a bridge between the computer and the wifi.
But recently I’ve just had a bicycle tour where my FP was used with the GPS open (for OSMAND the best map I know… I’m a contributor :wink: ) and the screen light was set near the half. During that week the battery was used hard and didn’t fail…
I only noticed when the level was approaching 50% (more or less) than when I restarted the phone, the new level was said being critical, near 10-15%.
The battery seems still being available on the FNAC website.
It is still the same piece of cardboard that is used as a spacer.
Very cheap solution, I’m happy with it.
Thanks to the Fairphone Company and the Fairphone community.
La vie est belle ! would say a brother of mine.

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Battery drains and reboots

A post was merged into an existing topic: Battery drains and reboots

just to add that i am also now using the vhbw battery. it was advertised as a replacement battery for FP1 and came with two small pieces of silicone to hold it in place as it’s smaller than the original one. after initially having no success with it, it turned out that there was a nearly-invisible strip of plastic across the contacts to protect them which obviously has to be removed before it will charge. it is now (so far) working well. many thanks to @HermannMeuth for kindly helping me with this!

2 Likes

Hi everyone.

I noticed – after my second original battery bloated as well – that the Changhong HonPhone V9 W20S which is said to be similar to the original (see @werner_noebauer’s wiki on FP1 batteries) seems to be available again.

I just received a rebuilt ChangHong HonPhone battery that I orded a month ago via AliExpress (1). I orderd a second one from a different seller (2) that hasn’t arrived yet. There seem to be more sellers offering rebuilt versions of the W20S-battery – you might want to check them out and compare.

Dimensions: 6,1x5,3x0,45cm (same as the original – no spacer needed!)
Capacity: 2000mAh
Voltage: 3,74V

The fairphone turns on and works perfectly so far. I already charged and used the battery while monitroing the temperature to check if the battery temperature monitoring works (however I’m using CPUInfo and BatteryBot Pro, not DevCheck). So far (24 hours) the temperature varied only between 23°C and 24°C. Is that plausible? I’ll update you on any changes.

3 Likes

This means that there is no thermistor built into the battery (or the phone can’t read it).

For the conclusion go down to the bottom of this post.

Some of you might have read my earlier review of the aftermarket HB5N1 battery, sold by ElectroPapa for Huawei phones. We value their quality and we have bought quite a lot of them for the Austrian Fairphoners. Recently I found out that ElectroPapa now also sells a battery that replaces the original FP1 battery F1B101 or F1B201. For testing purposes I got one of them together with our usual order. Here is the review.

The battery comes in a small cardboard box.

Cardboard box next to F1B101 battery by vhbw

Inside there is a black battery that at first sight looks pretty much like the Huawei battery. Disappointingly it is exactly the same as the Huawei battery. The only difference are two silicon spacers that are included with the battery. More to them later.

HB5N1 battery next to F1B101 battery by vhbw

Apart from the different stickers the only visual difference can be seen at the top of the battery (F1B101 on top): (1) The plastic pins on the sides are a bit thinner and (2) the middle connector seems to be a bit wider than the one of the HB5N1 battery.

Top sides of the F1B101 (above) and HB5N1 batteries by vhbw

I also inserted the battery and the spacers into the battery compartment of my FP1. The result wasn’t satisfying. The side spacer fits well, but the bottom spacer is too short and doesn’t hold the battery in place tightly. When you move the battery down there is still a pretty big space left at the top of the battery and the phone doesn’t even boot in this situation. Only when you press the battery up towards the pins the phone boots up.

F1B101 battery by vhbw in my Fairphone 1

A quick test on my booted FP1 (pressing the battery towards the pins) showed no changing temperature reading, which leads me to the conclusion that in this case too there is no (FP1-compatible) thermistor built in.

Conclusion

I cannot detect any significant difference between the HB5N1 and the F1B101 batteries by vhbw. The only hefty difference is the price: 9,59€ vs 17,89€. This means ElectroPapa basically sells a battery for 9,59€ and a non-fitting spacer for 8,30€. In my eyes this is a scam and I will ask the money back.

CC @werner_noebauer

7 Likes

Who would have expected different.
It’s the same way, jubatec has gone already. It really would be a miracle, if the FP1 is still so great a market, that someone is starting to produce batteries for it.
Printing and applying a new label on the other hand, that’s a different piece of cake. :frowning:

Regarding the difference, I guess it’s either within production tolerance or made at another plant, but not some intentional design meant to make a difference.

Another real waste, regarding this product, is the useless spacers you get with every battery anew. Jubatec at least offers them seperately, so you have to buy them just once.

5 Likes

I have asked Electropapa to remove the offer from their homepage, which they haven’t done. Thus I sent a 1-star-rating. Will see if they are honest and make it public: Li-Ion-Akku - 1800mAh (3.7V) für Handy, Smartphone, Telefon wie Fairphone F1B101, F1B201

1 Like

There’s currently no review visible on the page (it says “Schreiben Sie die erste Kundenmeinung”).

They sell it for 17.29 € now and there is no mentioning of any spacer at all.

Tbh: Why?
Pricing is up to the vendor. No one has to buy that battery; if it is too expensive, people will shop elsewhere. (E.g. Jubatec with a likewise useless spacer (at least in my case) sells at 19.90 €)
Already in my posting of August 2017, there was one battery (I guess it was electropapa as well) on Amazon for the HB5N1 selling at 21.89 €

At least everyone coming from this forum will know, that there are other batteries availale for less money like vhbw or akku-king.
TIP: Searching not for Fairphone but for HB5N1H you will be presented with lower prices for most likely the same battery just labeled differently. I guess, Fairphone owners are considered less focused on the price. :frowning:

2 Likes