🇬🇧 🇩🇪 🇫🇷 Interesting links / news articles somehow related to FP (collection)

:de: Die FAZ über den Stand der Recycling-Bemühungen in der Branche und bei Fairphone (Artikel nur für Bezahler*innen) auf Seite 22 der heutigen Ausgabe.

http://plus.faz.net/evr-editions/2017-03-20/43678/331410.html

A very honourable endeavour for a company to begin the process of ridding the reliance from China’s domination (up to 95%) of the rare earths market. With such awful human and environmental records it’s about time a company has taken stance! Fairphone should be looking at a company in Canada called Ucore. It is using a green chemistry call MRT (molecular recognition technology) to extract the rare earths vs. The standard SX extraction. They are also in the process of starting up a recycling program to extract the elements from discarded products also using MRT. Anyway just my thoughts on what could be a great partnership.

New documentary about the electronics industry. Looks promising!

2 Likes

They offer a paid screening. I’ve contacted them once and the price was even relatively high (~200$ iirc).

I have watched a Youtube video: Why Have Modular Smartphones Failed? The Fairphone 2 jumps in at 4:58.

2 Likes

Would you transcript some of the points of this video ?

:de: Schon vor einiger Zeit auf www.heise.de gefunden:

Apple: Nur autorisierte Anbieter stellen eine ordentliche Reparatur sicher

Das “Recht auf Reparatur” wäre für Fairphone kein Problem, im Gegenteil …

A French Android website is making fun of Fairphone for getting an update to Android 6:

Not a very flattering article, but some comments are better.

1 Like

There has been some sort of collaboration between Fairphone and Posteo (secure, ad-free, independent German eMail provider) in the past as can be read in this post: Hands-On with the Fairphone 2 at Posteo Lab, Berlin

Just noticed that Posteo will have an event on April 22nd kind of in the spirit of Fairphone:
https://posteo.de/blog/zweites-greenpeace-repair-cafe-bei-posteo-am-2204

2 Likes

Bei spektrum.de bin ich gerade auf einen Artikel über Smartphones gestoßen. Es geht um die Rohstoffgewinnung, die Kurzlebigkeit der Geräte und das Problem des Recyclings ganzer Geräte bzw. einzelner Komponenten oder Materialien. Fairphone wird dabei auch mehrmals positiv erwähnt.

10 Jahre Smartphones: Kleines Gerät, großes Problem

2 Likes

in case you have not seen this yet:

Edit by @Stefan: Moved from a topic called “Vox video on smartphone lifetime and waste, feat. FP2”

1 Like

Restart Radio podcast featuring a chat with London repair center T-Fix:

It’s a best-practice example of the services a repair center should provide. I wish every Fairphoner could benefit of such a repair center.

Retweet by @FaireComputer:

Find out what the UN is doing about sustainability in the mining sector.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Project Treble (Android O)

Hey there, i wrote another article about my time with the Fairphone for a befriended blogger. It is a bit of a little sad farewell story since i dont own the phone anymore. But i hope it is fair and objective. It is written in german, since mothertongue an all.
Please feel free to comment if you disagree…

3 Likes

[quote]auf der offiziellen Seite von Fairphone […] kann man mit einigen Monaten Lieferzeit rechnen.
[…]
Woran liegt das? Ich kann da nur mutmaßen bzw. die wenigen offiziellen Verlautbarungen im Forum wiedergeben. Dort heißt es in der Regel: „It’s the supply chain, stupid!“[/quote]
Bold by me.

Haha, I love this paragraph! :joy:

Regarding the FP2 mainboard / core module: It’s not even been for sale for a while…

Another thing: I couldn’t find a reference to this sentence about a possible Fairphone 3:

Es soll ein […] Projekt mit eventuell kürzerer Supportdauer werden.

Could you explain to me, what you mean by this?

1 Like

Hi Stefan, thank you. I really tried hard not to bash the phone since i still have a lot of love for the project and the community.

The core module is on sale for 320 Euros on vireo.de.

The shorter support span for the not even remotely on the horizon Fairphone3 was a wild guess based on the low-end-specs and price which were mentioned in the interview and some math. Some users also speculated in the thread here about that. But i hope i made clear with “evtl.” that is not a fact. It may well be fake-news some day…:wink:

2 Likes

I think you achieved this goal very well! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I strongly advice you to read this excellent book (in french) :

https://www.volkskrant.nl/economie/verzekeraars-gooien-smartphone-uit-de-inboedelverzekering-door-een-teveel-aan-schadeclaims~a4506315/
The article is about insurance companies exclude smartphone from home insurance by excessive claims.

The phone shown in the artikel is a Fairphone 2