Future Android version for the Fairphone 1 / 1U

Yes, you are right :smile:
I meant Android 4.2.2

Thanks for that Android version confirmation.

However, In the meanwhile I’ve been reading about the many problems there are with the Fairphone GPS : GPS does not work , so I doubt if I should buy one :frowning: A pitty as it seems to have everything on board I need / want

Android 5.0 Lollipop would be good

1 Like

@sai yes Android 5.0 would be great

2 Likes

I’m working on a blog post with our software developer, Kees. So within a month we plan to publish a blog about our approach to (open source) software and how we can support the software going forward.

No answers yet but just so you know we are working on a substantial explanation to the current situation!

8 Likes

Hi, I owned a Misfit shine.
I need at least Android 4.3 to support Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy to communicate with the device.

PS : When will a “non rooted” version of Android will be shipped to allow a MDM software to be installed. Otherwise, soon I will have to use another phone.

Regards

Being dependent on Mediatek is not a god position to be in. FP will be much more sustainable if its hardware is open to the community so that patches/fixes/updates can come from a wide range of sources, rather than being forced through a private bottleneck owned by a firm to whom FP is a minority customer.

Hi @wquatan,

Nokia has released a Beta Version of Here Maps on here.com/download.

Just for you ;-), i downloaded and installed the Beta on my Fairphone – you will have to register with your Google Account to use it while in Beta – and it runs on Android 4.2, including the Fairphone.

It is still loading a but slow, but also on my tablet, so i think it is a software issue. For me personally, GPS is okay, not really impressive, but not worse then my previous smartphones. Plus with GApps installed and Wifi enabled, a get a pretty decent approximation in less then seconds.
So, are you buying one now?

Thanks for testing :slight_smile:
Will try to find out if being slow might be Android 4.2 related.
I would like to buy one, but GPS is the most important feature for me, should work without any problems.
So I’m going to wait till those GPS-issues get solved (in a new Firmware ?)

Hmm, it seems to be slow on my tablet as well, so at least its not the hardware. Sadly, my tablet runs 4.2 as well and the only person having a phone with Android 4.4+ is my mother :-). I will ask her if we could try Nokia Here at my next visit.

@wquatan
let’s try “OsmAnd~”!! It works good for me and it takes a few seconds to locate GPS. Here’s the link:
https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdfilter=osmand&fdid=net.osmand.plus

I think its also worth pointing with regards to bluetooth 4.0 LE
(thats on the specifications page: http://shop.fairphone.com/specs-page.html)
it says the phone supports it but without an OS update it in fact doesnt.
Maybe I should of perused through the forums first but that was one my requirements and in fact I wouldnt have gone ahead and bought one if id known that the specs page lied!

@fairphonejonny if that is in fact like you are saying, maybe you should contact Fairphone by Email so they have chance to fix that. sorry to hear your expectations we’re not met :-(.

As this article in german shows, other smartphones have the same problem. (http://www.areamobile.de/news/23800-bluetooth-4-0-android-unterstuetzt-neuen-bluetooth-standard-nur-auf-dem-papier)

Thanks for replying Ben.
I did contact fairphone through theyre support a few days before my post.
Theyre looking into it and getting back to me so ill update here when they do.
Im an Electronics engineer myself so I have a good understanding of what the issues are.
To be honest my expectations have been exceeded considering its theyre first phone to market. I think fairphone has done a good job at creating a fairer phone and a business model which suits a more ethical and better informed society. As with all products there is always things to be learned and im sure fairphone have taken all the above on board for the future fairphones.
I also note that from what ive read fairphone didnt actually design the phone but licensed one from the manufacturers?

2 Likes

Ye, that is correct. They customized a licensed design a bit.

For me, having the latest Android version is essential: some accessories need 4.3 minimum (all wearables for example).
The UX is also really better on kitkat or lollipop than with Jelly Bean. Fairphone’s hardware is durable and repairable, and it is very bad that today, software makes it obsolete. I think that maybe one of the issues could be to work in partnership with Cyanogen…

4 Likes

For me, also, having the latest Android version is essential - the older software is the reason I haven’t bought a FairPhone yet. Furthermore, I think it is an important part of making the Fairphone sustainable - Often people buy new phones just to have access to new software, so this could be a really great way to show a commitment to stopping people from having to buy new phones.

2 Likes

As a developer, I want to be able to install the latest version so I can develop for future android versions. For instance the upcoming Android 5.0 “L” has some interesting new possibilities for interactions and design. I would like to be able to use the Fairphone for development rather than have to buy another less sustainable device so that I can support the latest OS version.

As a user, I am not that bothered, 4.2 is sufficient for my needs, although would be nice to be able to get the latest version.

EDIT: I am looking to get a Fairphone soon to replace my ageing and slightly unreliable HTC Desire (running Cyanogenmod 10.1 - Android 4.2). This issue is the main thing holding me back.

I agree on working with CyanogenMod… there is a 4.4 version for FP1 over at XDA Developers but seems in alpha stage.

There is. And we actually do have a thread about this here in the forums. If you are a dev yourself - maybe you can help out chrmhoffmann on the xda forums to fix some of the issues with cm for FP? Your help would surely be greatly appreciated by the community.

2 Likes