đŸ‡«đŸ‡· 🇬🇧 Fp2 - Open OS 17.06.4 - "reboot intempestifs" - "untimely reboot"

English version is on the middle of the page, thanks to read me.

Bonjour,

J’ouvre ce sujet qui fait suite à mes lectures traitant du sujet, mais qui malheureusement sont clos. Et les informations contenues ne sont pas utiles.

Random Reboots

Je rencontre le mĂȘme problĂšme de “reboot intempestifs”. C’est trĂšs contrariant.

J’ai l’impression que cela arrive lorsque le fp2 monte trop en tempĂ©rature.
Je n’utilise pourtant pas d’applications trop gourmandes, si ce n’est mon WeChat qui consomme beaucoup. Mais paradoxalement, fp2 ne coupe pas lorsque je joue Ă  un jeu qui consomme aussi beaucoup de mĂ©moire, et rend Ă©galement le processeur chaud.
Je fais attention Ă  ne jamais laisser une application ouverte. SystĂ©matiquement, je me rends dans les services et je tues l’application dont j’ai fini de me servir. Mais mĂȘme lĂ , reboot.
Parfois je reste quelques jours sans reboot, puis ça reviens, une fois, deux fois
plusieurs jours de suite

Sur la version 17.04, dans les “Application”, on voyait la consommation de mĂ©moire en temps rĂ©el (chose qui a disparue malheureusement avec la version 17.06.4). Je remarquais que parfois fp2 devenais trĂšs gourmand sans avoir lancĂ© aucune application.

Voila. Donc mon principal problùme est le “reboot intempestif”.
Merci pour votre aide.
================= English version

Hello,

I open this subject which follows my readings dealing with the subject, but which unfortunately are closed. And the information contained is not useful.

Random Reboots

I encounter the same problem of “untimely reboot”. It is very annoying.

I get the impression that this happens when the fp2 rises too much in temperature.
I do not use applications that are too greedy, if not my WeChat that consumes a lot. But paradoxically, fp2 does not cut when I play a game that also consumes a lot of memory, and also makes the processor hot.
I am careful never to leave an application open. Systematically, I go into the services and I kill the application I finished using. But even there, reboot.
Sometimes I stay a few days without reboot, then come back, once, twice 
 several days in a row 

On version 17.04, in the “Application”, we saw the consumption of memory in real time (something that disappeared unfortunately with version 17.06.4). I noticed that sometimes fp2 became very greedy without having launched any application.

Here is. So my main problem is the “untimely reboot”.
Thank you for your help.

Did you already try to change CPU settings?

1 Like

Hello @AnotherElk ,

I just finish to install the App “Kernel Adiutor” as it is indicate when follow your link.
I adjusted the setting for the CPU. Before to do it, i saw that i had two hearts who did n’t work. Then i finished to adjust the setting for the CPU, is still have one who does n’t want work. I activated also it manually using the slider in Kernel/CPU. I also activate “Apply for reboot”.
Then i restart, look again the information of the CPU, still have one heart does n’t work. Again i activated it manually using the slider in Kernel/CPU.
Yet, it looks ok, but i have n’t use any personnal App, because the phone is on charge. I wait one hours and i will try several App.
I will tell you later how is that way.
Thank you a lot.

So: I changed yesterday the setting for the CPU, by decrease from one level. Max CPU allowed is now 1958 MHz

I try several App, everything looks good. CPU works with all his hearts,
I still try to give more work for the phone, using more the charge CPU/Memory, only to test.
Yet, no random reboots.
May the force be with FP2 :yum:

1 Like

How is the phone temperature, has it fallen?

Hello @Gerry
I have n’t found an App who can gives me informations about the temperature also for CPU and Ram and Battery.
I saw that inside “Kernel Adiutor”, we can build our own test. I don’t know what code input there who can show me the sensors level. If someone knows, tell me please, i’am curious to try it.
At my look, there is nothing different about the temperature, maybe finish to use an App, change cold a little more fast.

1 Like

Hi @Gerry

I found an App “Cpu gauge”.

without any App who’s running.
CPU temperature is between 49°C to 51°C
CPU usage is between 11% to 31%

with many App who are running.
CPU temperature is between 54°C to 73°C at the max level.
CPU usage is between 29% to 85%

1 Like

Many thanks for performing the tests and posting the results. I do not have a Fairphone 2 at hand right now to compare, but 73 °C are indeed very hot! :astonished: Some people already reported throttling issues in 17.06.4 (Open), e.g. while watching a Youtube video.

Maybe Fairphone should have a look into that, and reduce CPU frequency when under pressure

I apologize, i mistake about the name of the App i use to know the temperature and usage of the processor.
App is Cpu Temperature
Best regard.

2 Likes

Hi,

I updated to OS 17.06.4 yesterday, too and experienced the same troubles
 extremly hot cpu and after a certain point of temperature my FP2 rebooted. Unfortunately many times during the day within different situations (making phonecalls, looking at pics, browsing
)

I installed three apps:

• Kernel Adiutor (for setting the max cpu frequency lower in order to decrease the temperature)
  • CPU temperature (to watch the cpu temperature)
  • Super Cooler (for finding apps that heat up the cpu)

Thanks to @Lintianfu for the tips.:+1:

Unfortunately there was no big change
 sometimes the cpu heats up to 86 degrees and - of course - reboots then. :worried:

Even/because I reduced the cpu to 1.500 MHz, it is mostly running above 85 percent (with only one or two apps opened
)

Hmmm
 anyone a hint what to do?

Preformatted text

2 Likes

That is weird! :astonished:

I thought lower CPU frequency would produce less heat. Obviously I was wrong

1 Like

Yup, that was my thought, too. :rolling_eyes:

1 Like

Still in test, i want try to minimize by reducing CPU maximum frequency, from 1958 MHz to 1728MHz.
Original CPU frequancy was 2265 MHz.
I try by playing a game while 30 minutes, i know that the games are relatively greedy in memory and load CPU.
I had noticed that the temperature of the processor could achieve 78°C !!

Some CPU for computer also can have very hot temperature, more than 95°C. But first, they are rare, and also get easy broken. Electronic parts does like high temperature, that is sure.

I have n’t try for which level of frequency the CPU stand with confortable temperature.
You think, or mean that whatever is the frequency we can choice, temperature will stand high ?

When I make a backup in TWRP (encrypted phone), the temperature rapidly rises to values high in the 80s°, nearly 90° C. When the backup is finished, it decreases just as rapidly.
So a demanding game pushing the CPU to 78° C doesn’t sound problematic to me.

This cannot be “healthy” for any CPU. :neutral_face:

@AnotherElk , have you experienced any random reboots in regard with such high CPU temperatures?

That is sure?? Well, let us remove every air condition in datacenters and wait a while
 :wink:

Never (knocking on wood).

1 Like

I return to announce you my feels having reduced the load of the CPU.
1 : the reduction of the load CPU, influences only little the temperature of the processor.
2 : I am surprised seeing so much gap from behavior between our processors. Some reboot inconveniently, others warm more than some. Why? Processors are not the same type or manufacturing?
3 : FP2 becomes soft of knees by lowering the cadence of two level. Latencies are noticed.
4 : I have sudden no inconvenient restart since the reduction of load CPU.

So maybe reduce a little the CPU charge is temporary a way to escape the reboot. I just wish that the FP2 team found the right way to solve that.

There are at least 2 variants, it is discussed in the thread you visited already.
From the poll there it looks like the AA variant is more likely to give you trouble than the AB variant. But then again not many people out of the many Fairphone 2 users out there voted in the poll, and I as well as some others have the AA variant and no trouble at all, so it is not a very scientific way to say anything based on that :slight_smile: 

1 Like

Salut !
J’avais le mĂȘme soucis depuis presque 1 an sous FP OS et FP Open OS sous Android 5. La semaine derniĂšre, Ă  l’occasion de la sortie d’Android 6 sous Open OS j’ai fait un factory reset, un wipe de toutes les partitions, une rĂ©install propre de la 16.04 et enfin la maj OTA de la 16.06.4 via TWRP et là
 miracle ! plus un seul random reboot ! j’ai l’impression de revivre :smiley:
J’ai fait des tests avec des appli gourmandes / GPS : le tel chauffe mais ne reboot pas. J’ai aussi installĂ©s des tweaks via XPosed, des appli avec accĂšs root, etc
 et tout va bien ! J’ai Ă©galement l’impression que l’accroche GPS est bien meilleure qu’avant, bref le passage sous Android 6 Ă  rĂ©solu tous mes problĂšmes !
Ce topic peut Ă©galement t’intĂ©resser si tu ne l’a pas dĂ©jĂ  vu : [Bug] ✏ Upgrade to FP Open 17.06.4 renders phone useless (freezes once booted and reboots itself)
A+

PS : Pour info j’ai pas touchĂ© Ă  la frĂ©quence du proc, et j’ai une version AA

1 Like

Salut,

Chez moi les random reboots venaient de la coque slim avec laquelle j’ai reçu le FP2.
Le SAV m’a envoyĂ© une coque regular et depuis tout va bien