🇫🇷 🇬🇧 Bande des 700 MHz / 700 MHz band

La fréquence de 700 MHz sera bientôt déployée en France, j’espère pouvoir l’utiliser avec un FP2 après la mise à jour (dans un futur proche) d’un module ou devrais-je passer à un autre produit ?

The 700 MHz bands will be deployed in France, then I hope to be able to use it with an FP2 after the update (in the near future) of a module, or should I move to another product ?

1 Like

What do you need a special frequency band for? The FP2 already works in all European networks.

1 Like

I’ll will need it for my operator, “Free”

According to Wikipedia free has both the 1800Mhz and 2600Mhz LTE bands, which both work with the FP2.

2 Likes

Does LTE offer any additional feature when used on 700 MHz? I could not find any relevant information so far.

1 Like

700MHz is a lower frequency so it can have a wider range. This means there would be more 4G coverage in rural areas without placing new masts. In cities, where networks can be crowded it is also an advantage to have more bands so the users can be distributed over the bands.

The Fairphone will continue to use 1800 and 2600 MHz, and if those are out of reach your phone will likely switch to 3G. Free already introduced 700MHz LTE in September according to Wikipedia, so I don’t see why this should change now.

2 Likes

I just googled a bit longer: You are totally right. :slight_smile:

It would be interesting to know if Fairphone 2 supports LTE-A which seems to toggle between signals from the 1800 or the 2600 MHz band and vice-versa when offered from the provider.

Thank you for restating my question. I understand that in an area where only the 700MHz is accessible (therefore not the 1800MHZ or the 2600MHz), the Fairphone 2, with no possibility of evolution, will not connect to “Free” which only works in these 3 bands . This, until the arrival of a hypothetical Fairphone 3.

Merci d’avoir reformulé ma question. Je comprends bien que dans une zone où seulement le 700MHz est accessible (donc pas le 1800MHZ ou le 2600MHz), le Fairphone 2, sans aucune possibilité d’évolution, ne se connectera pas à “Free” qui ne fonctionne que dans ces 3 bandes. Cela, jusqu’à l’arrivée d’un hypothétique Fairphone 3.

2 Likes

There won’t be many areas with only 700. There’s also 3G on 900MHz which is supported and also has a large range. There are still many phones around not supporting all bands, or not supporting 4G at all, so you’ll almost always be able to connect to 3G in case other 4G bands are unavailable - and the FP2 does so automatically. And that’s mostly the case for remote areas, near larger towns you should always find 4G.

4 Likes

There won’t be many areas with only 700. There’s also 3G on 900MHz which is supported and also has a large range. There are still many phones around not supporting all bands, or not supporting 4G at all, so you’ll almost always be able to connect to 3G in case other 4G bands are unavailable - and the FP2 does so automatically. And that’s mostly the case for remote areas, near larger towns you should always find 4G.

I agree with you.

Fo your information, guys, about Free Mobile and the 700Mhz fb

je les ai contacté à ce propos il y a quelques mois à ce propos et ils sont désolés mais la puce utilisée par le FP 2 n’est pas compatible 700Mhz, ils ont fait l’économie de la compatibilité, ce qui ne nous arrange pas maintenant.

Unfortunately the FP2 does not work with 700Mhz. Because it is not standard in Europe.
You could better contact your provider about this.

J’ai été très déçu de l’apprendre car j’espérais que ça allait améliorer la situation dans mon quartier (Paris Ménilmontant Pyrénées) où j’ai eu des pb de réception depuis 14 ans avec SFR, Orange et Free Mobile malgré mon 5e étage.
Ce ne sera donc pas avec les nouvelles antennes en 700Mhz qui vont m’aider. Appelle-les mais je pense qu’ils te répondront la même chose.

There is already 3G (or even 2G on other networks tham Free) on 900MHz which is a low frequency as well, with about the same range. If you cannot receive that either then you are just living too far from the mast, and 700MHz won’t help much.

There are three antennae Free Mobile in my neighborhood, respectively 220, 290 and 550m in walking distance from my place (and waves don’t walk, so they are closer). I can see one of them.
I’m in roaming with Orange, too and the nearest antennae is 550m from here, on the same building with Free Mobile. I don’t understand how i have problem so close from all of them.

I understand you’re living in an urban area. In that case, you don’t want bands with a long range at all, that creates too much interference with many masts close to each other. Either the networks are overcrowded or your house is insulated too well, and in both cases low frequency bands are not a very effective solution. It can take some strain off other bands by letting a few users use 700, but that’s about it.

1 Like

20th District of Paris. Lots of buildings 5-7 stories, some big buildings, top of the hill and 5th floor, windows everywhere. Sometimes it is better down in the streets. Networks changing all the time from E, 3G or 4G. Even the femtocells in the box don’t help much, loosing connections and missed called everyday.
It’s puzzled me for years, dumb phones, smartphones, 3 different operators, each no good.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 180 days. New replies are no longer allowed.