FP5 without google?

I am not buying another phone that forces me to use Android (or another proprietary OS, for that matter), so I am very curious about the hardware driver situation of the FP5. Is the hardware used Linux-compatible this time around?
My goal is to have a phone where I can install PostmarketOS and all features work.

Android is not proprietary at all. It’s FOSS. And there are a lot of forks around which focus more on privacy and security and without any proprietary Google stuff. See oslist for previous Fairphones.

Concerning postmarkedOS: see here FP5 without google? - #4 by lucaweiss
and here: Fairphone 5 (fairphone-fp5) - postmarketOS

4 Likes

are you planning to add support of the FP5 to DivestOS?

1 Like

Wondering if there is a more or less reliable estimation, how much weeks/months after a new phone release the first official builds of a Custom ROM arrive?

E.g. does anyone know how long it took for the FP4 for example?
As we see, Murena phones already available, so do they directly got the bootloader unlocked etc.?
Or is it as there is a closer relation between Fairphone and Murena / “/e/OS” and they got the phone a bit beforehand so they could start all the needed adaptions? :thinking:

I’m pretty sure you can find out be reading the FP4 topics😉

IodeOS around March 22

LOS was def later

Sure they officially have a cooperation

2 Likes

You are right :smiling_face:

For the FP4 which was release in 2021-09-30:

• CalyxOS had the first test build at 2022-04-01 - so about half a year in that case
    While the first stable/official support build was around August 2022
  • IodeOS around March 22 (thx for still checking that @yvmuell :wink: )
  • looks like Lineage took until January 2023 until it was official (some test build were flying around in September 2022 I think)
1 Like

It was actually around February 2022:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-fp4-a13-iodeos-lineageos-20-microg-adblocker-28-08-2023.4397481/

I mean not only iodéOS is a fork of LineageOS, but also /e/ OS. So the support could have happened even earlier, I think. But there was probably no developer willing to do it? (Just a guess, can’t remember).

And keep in mind that FP4 was only available from around December '21 due to supply shortages.
Therefore, many developers did not have the opportunity to start working on it until January '22.

The situation today is quite different. First of all, there are almost no more supply bottlenecks. And you can buy FP5’s with /e/ OS from the very beginning. That should make it much easier for devs.

But they still need a device to do the work. We could maybe crowdsource some FP5’s for lineageOS/divestOS/etc development?

1 Like

With my new Fairphone 5 in my hands it’s so hard to wait… Hope a googlefree OS will become available real soon!

2 Likes

If you like Murena their website is open for pre-orders of the Fairphone 5 deGoogled and more sustainable than ever! Delivery date depends, see the webpage I just mentioned.

2 Likes

According to their gitlab, e-foundation is already working on a FP5 version with target date set to mid October: 📱 Fairphone 5 (FP5) (&69) · Epics · devices · GitLab
If they really make that date, I think they’ve earned themselves a donation.

Nevertheless, I would really appreciate Fairphone providing a google free alternative OS like they did with the FP2 for example.

There is nothing fair about you starting up you new “fair” phone and instantly being hit with an unavoidable request to accept Google’s terms and conditions plus a bunch of uninstallable apps which all try to grab your data. Disabling chrome & replacing it with a privacy-friendly browser even broke the phone setup program when it wanted me to chose my search engine.

3 Likes

Maybe for others… Read more info about /e/OS: /e/OS - e Foundation - deGoogled unGoogled smartphone operating systems and online services - your data is your data (which is still Android).

2 Likes

You can buy the phone preinstalled from Murena to avoid this.

When Fairphone provided Fairphone Open OS on the Fairphone 2, you had to install it yourself, only the non-lockable bootloader of the Fairphone 2 back then prevented you from having to do the same things as now. So providing something like Fairphone Open OS now wouldn’t help you in this regard.

Most of them should be uninstallable in the way Android provides for preinstalled Apps … Uninstall default apps - #29 by AnotherElk - Setup - /e/OS community

All-time underrated remark regarding custom ROMs on Android phones.
(Keyword AOSP, which all Android OSes, stock as well as custom, are based on)

2 Likes

Or from Iode

https://iode.tech/en/news/brace-yourself-for-the-fairphone-5/

So really good options Fairphone is offering with the help of developer of other OSes

3 Likes

Sure there will always be some third party OS which does what you want. In my opinion a privacy friendly OS should be provided and supported by Fairphone directly.
Now that we’ve come such a long way and the hardware is rather fair, let’s make the software fair as well.

1 Like

In my opinion its good they concentrate on one OS Version and cooperate instead with e/OS or IodeOS, as numbers show that the majority still use and want the easy Google ecosystem and only 5-10% used FPOOS

6 Likes

I also got my FP5 now, willing to help with Google-free development, no matter what OS, anyone spotted some public effort yet?

1 Like

How easy is it to install an “alternative ROM” and how well do they work without the proprietary binary blobs?

For comparison, the Graphene install on Pixel was so easy I don’t even remember how I did it other than going to their web-page and pressing a button.

I have moved your post as this was off-topic. Else I advice to just use the search funtion in the forum or your search engine of trust.

It is seriously so frustrating. No phone manufacturer is both willing and able to provide a phone that works with mainline Linux. And it is doubly frustrating that "Fair"phone is not doing that. I hope that changes at some point, but I guess for now I can bury my hopes, and keep using my FP3 until such a device gets released.

2 Likes

Although I agree that a phone running mainline Linux as stock ROM would be great, I’m often wondering where the part “fair” in Fairphone is stretched to… :thinking:

5 Likes