FP5 - Battery Life

We’ve seen that the display may even be turned off by covering the proximity sensor and still the drain is higher than what it should be. From this we can conclude that it’s not the actual display hardware that burns energy. So the experiment with a different app probably just shows that the phone cannot sleep well if it has to count down minutes, either.

5 Likes

Maybe both made the same mistake and keep the device from deep sleep? :wink:

fair point :slight_smile: I just hope it will not take a year to fix this. AOD is such an important feature.

1 Like

This line really struck me. With AOD correctly implemented on an AMOLED display, there should not be an overall backlight-like effect visible in AOD mode.

Independent from the questions if the percentages come from either the display, the AOD process, or the interplay between display, AOD process and whatever else, for me the primary question at this point is still: is the current AOD mode supporting an actual “only needed pixels active” way of working?

(disclaimer: this is my very first forum entry here, sorry in advance if my way of interacting is not in line with the expectations here. I did search for “backlight” within this thread, it only showed up once, so I hope my comment isn’t covered already somewhere above)

Cheers!

2 Likes

There is no such thing as an only “needed pixels active” mode. OLEDs basically have an individual light source per pixel. Instead of filtering out light from an white light (like normal LCDs work), to make dimmer images, the light source just produces less light. If you tell an OLED to show a black pixel, it will just not turn the light on.

So something is telling the OLED to not show a perfectly dark image and that something is very likely not the app, but rather a firmware issue.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

There’s a topic on this subject where you will find answers to your question. TL;DR: Yes, but please read the topic.

1 Like

So I read a lot of these posts on this thread and looked at all your screenshots.
What is our verdict when it comes to the battery life of FP5. After all the updates has been done and AoD is off, is it as bad as for example this review says? The reviewer says he is gaming and stuff, but for non gamer user, how is it?

https://youtu.be/TywPfCjlCcM?si=hLcj1K4TQaoV6YXD&t=260

I’d say it’s not as bad as many reviews said, by a comfortable margin.

And what does the review say how bad it is?

Review mentions 16% of battery drop by 45 minutes of mixed usage (bit of gaming and web browsing).
It also says that battery drain is ok in standby.

It says 45 minutes of use caused a 16% drop in charge level.

su 26. marrask. 2023 klo 11.12 chantoine via Fairphone Community Forum <forum@fairphone.com> kirjoitti:

And what would be the expectation or good? With what data are we comparing?

Without AoD and Gaming I see around 11%/h.

It seems the camera increases this and Apps like Maps for sure.

Overall I think its similar to the FP4.

3 Likes

I am struggling on some days with 80%, do you think there is a way to make it a feature request? Meaning, create an option for a user-defined limit. What would be the best way to approach this? Contacting support?

Hi Meaghan, you could ask support, if they get enough of these requests it could be implemented.
But in fact, I believe the charge limit is mainly useful for people who charge often (plug in the phone during the day). It’s not a problem for lithium ion batteries to be charged more often (it’s deep discharging and full recharging that wears them out).
So you could try to put the phone into a charger every now and then while you’re sitting down anyway.

1 Like

Somebody might find the review from notebookcheck interesting.
The FP5 draws in average 2.43 Watts while idling. That is twice as much as a Pixel 8 and 3x as much as S23.
It would be nice if they could improve this a bit with software updates.

1 Like

Unfortunately the test doesn’t mention if AoD was on or off during the measurement of Watts while idling…

3 Likes

in “notebookcheck” review is as “idle” mean screen ON, but “not” running apps, maybe all closed and be on Home? then higher usage can be some background process eating more cpu and/or time (or more/different) than on compared phones?

for screen off is above Watt compare table stated: Off/Standby 0.44/0.23 Watt

Did anyone think of that “always on” fingerprint sensor? How much is its consumption in idle running just waiting to be touched? Maybe this is another problem of idle consumption?

1 Like

Like the proximity sensor, I think they’ve got these devices down to a fine art nowadays. But you never know, I’ll run some tests,

No changes regarding battery life and AoD with the latest firmware update. With AoD turned on and the phone lying on the screen (so it should have been off), the battery lost 4% per hour this night.