FP5 - Battery Life

Accubattery ajusts its results during the cycle.

So:

• wipe off the stats, or de-install and re-install,
  • discharge to 10% or less,
  • charge to 100%,
  • use it normally without recharging, and see the results when you get down to 20% or less.

You’re not the only one I asked :wink: And as I also mentioned, yes, AccuBattery needs to collect more data. And because of that, it’s nice to have the actual stats since the last full charge. Anyway, this is going in circles forever it seems :nerd_face:

Forever… or until your battery level is down to 20% :nerd_face:

1 Like

No its saying 29 minutes SOT, 2.5hours use in total since accubattery was started and an estimate of 8h with 100% based on that short cycle its running.

And the native graph started 8hours ago and within this time you have 2h SOT.

2 Likes

I thought I’d share my battery experiences here. Mine used to take about 3 days to drop from 80% to 40% (turned off AOD, BT, NFC, tap to wake). But a week or 2 ago it started to drain noticeably faster, needing a charge every 2 days or less. Here’s what I tried:

• In battery usage, Mobile network was really high, so first I turned off 5G. That worked, but I had been using 5G before without issues so I wanted to dig deeper.
  • I investigated the cause in Mobile app data usage, here Google Play Store was high. I turned off its background usage, but I ended up reverting this later.
  • DuckDuckGo led me to check Play Store network preferences, App download preferences was somehow set to Over any network. I changed it to Over Wi-Fi only, manually updated all apps and turned on 5G again, and now battery usage is back to normal.

So, moral of the story, check your Play Store App download preferences, it might help reduce battery use.

Also, here’s my 2 cents of anecdotal evidence on charging: on my Fairphone 2 I also tried to charge it from 40% up to 80%, and that battery lasted 7 years. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

After one month with my FP5, I’m quite satisfied with its battery cosumption. I could reach 7h of SOT. Last week I tried to test the stand on time, I didn’t need to use the phone intensely. Well FP5 lasted 3 days with 4h SOT. Not bad at all, better than most of the smartphones I owned upto now . My s23, for example, using or not, won’t pass the second day.

1 Like

The latest “DC dimming”-update doesn’t fix the AoD-battery-drain, unfortunately. With DC dimming and AoD activated my idle FP5 (not in flight mode) lost about 5 percentage points of battery life per hour over night. Without AoD it was about 1 percentage point per hour. (I deactivated AoD in the middle of the night.)

My FP5 is using at least 5 percent per hour even without AoD, I can’t leave it running over night.
No apps open, 5G active (but is has the same issue, when mobile data is disabled), wifi active.
No reply from fairphone support unfortunately.

1 Like

I kept my phone on during the night. No battery safer or sleep mode that turns of the AoD. So I had AoD on and all data sync stuff as well as WiFi and 5G. I had a 4.6% battery drain per hour. I tested over a period of 6,5 hours. Unfortunately the battery stats crashed, which happens on the FP5 from time to time… So I cannot show if there was a spike in battery usage or that it was a constant stable drain. I may try again tonight.

So I can also reproduce this.

1 Like

Bought my FP5 about a week ago, and I realized that the battery is draining overnight, without me using it. I have nearly no notifications in the morning. Anyone else experiencing this and knows how to solve it?
Thanks!

That is just normal.

Best wishes,
Thomas

What do you mean by draining? Please see above discussion, when you have AoD enabled currently the drain is too high. Without AoD it seems normal, so if this is not the case for you, detail it a bit.

From 80% to like 40% without any usage. Does AoD really use that much battery? Thanks!

5% an hour was here reported already as ‘normal’ with AoD. Without maybe 1%.

1 Like

Which time span? Else as reported above

On latest 112 November update info from AccuBattery:

• Total Time 39h10m (battery 99% to 4%)
  • ScreenOnTime 8h00m (Eat 72%)
  • In Deep Sleep 27h06m

Average Discharge

• 9.2%/h with Screen On
  • 0.7%/h with Screen Off
  • 0.4%/h with Screen Off in Deep Sleep

Enabled (Alltime, not switch off to night)

• Wifi, BT, MobileData, 5G, GPS, DataSync
  • DC-Dimming, 90Hz, Tap2Wake, Pick2Wake

Disabled

• AlwaysOnDisplay, NFC
  • No Automatic Updates/Refresh in all 3rd Apps (as Weather, RSS reader, etc)

Present

• microSD (Samsung Pro Plus 512GB) as portable storage
  • physical SIM card (T-Mobile Czech)

Usage:

• Nova Launcher (instead stock Launcher)
  • Web browsing: OH Web Browser (primary), Vivaldi (sometime)
  • e-mail (Spark mail), Signal, Telegram, Skype (minimal use. but online/loged in)
  • Phone call (~30m), some SMS’s
  • Music: PowerAmp over BT speaker (~3h)
  • Photos browse/tags colelction: Aves Gallery
1 Like

So I tested this hypothesis and it confirms it. The AoD process itself seems to be poorly programmed. I wanted to know if it’s just the screen, or the feature that wastes the battery.

My previous test was to keep the phone with AoD on for a whole night. It then wasted 4.6% per hour. It’s also interesting to note that with DC dimming off you can see that the whole screen is still on…

The test I did last night was similar. AoD was on, however, I covered the proximity sensor. So in that case the AoD turns off and indeed the screen was totally black. But, there was still a 4.3% battery drain per hour! This makes me believe that the AoD process is keeping the phone from going into idle mode and thus keeps the CPU busy and drains the phone.

With DC dimming disabled I can see that the screen is still on, there is backlight bleeding everywhere. So, pixels aren’t disabled. When covering the proximity sensor again, the screen does turn off completely. So in other words, in my test the screen was off, but there was still a drain.

In a way this is a relief. This means the screen is fine, they just need to improve their AoD implementation. I suppose it’s not included in Android itself and they made their own variant.

I will do another test though. With AoD disabled in the settings and I won’t enable battery safer during the night. If it then still drains the battery, then maybe something else is causing the drain. I usually use battery safer and bedtime mode during the night which turns off AoD, battery drain is low in that setup. But battery safer also disables other features and limits background processes. So let’s see how it goes in the next test.

I will also retest this with my old Pixel 3.

8 Likes

I don’t know how a proximity sensor works, but could the sensor also be a cause for AoD-battery-drain, as it has to be working all the time?

So with AoD and battery safer disabled and the screen off the whole time the FP5 lost about 1,5% per hour. Which is interesting. Because with AoD enabled in the settings, but still off because the proximity sensor was blocked, it lost about 4.3%. With AoD enabled and the screen also on it drained about 4.6%. So the increase is very likely due to AoD because with that disabled in the settings the drain is just 1,5%. It’s also interesting that the different with the screen fully off or regular AoD isn’t much. So the battery drain may not be that much with AoD on, but maybe some background process keeps the phone from going into idle mode.

My Pixel 3 had about 1% battery drain with AoD off (and battery safer off). Which is impressive, especially since we’re talking about percentages. The FP5 has a 4200mAh battery. While the Pixel 3 has a 2915mAh battery, and since that phone was used for 3 years, the health dropped to about 83%. So if it had the battery size of the FP5, then the percentage would be maybe less than 0,5% per hour. In other words, Fairphone can gain much by improving process efficiency.

I’ll do some more tests and then I’ll create a table with all the findings in a new topic, just about the AoD battery drain.

2 Likes

Several others already posted those conclusions back in Sep…

1 Like