[FP5][AndroidAuthority]First look at the Fairphone 5

Not July, August
:scream:
. . . September, October . . November , December . . . the later the better me thinks. What could be so important as to release this ‘new’ model, what is the benefit, what does the FP4 lack ? apart from some software improvements

EDIT: 2 weeks later.

The benefit is largely for Fairphone as they need to keep with the market and draw in new consumers, but I’m happy with the FP3, and some will/are not happy enough with the FP4

4 Likes

I know about „all“ phones (and shoes and about everything else) are made in China (the reason why I don’t buy much these days and keep looking for alternatives for hours). Doesn’t have to mean, that all other parts have to be made there.

Bother to write instructions for your flip case? Can’t think of any affordable way for everyone (3D printer + filament, or someone who does those things in a professional way, or even something completely different?!).

1 Like

Nothing has to be made in China, it’s just the quick and cheap option for most consumers.

Flip case made by hand sewing :slight_smile: or pay someone else to do the work

Off topic: Ending discussion :raised_hand:

1 Like

yeah. the notification light is a shame, I really like it. if the screen is OLED (we could hope), then we’d have AOD…
as a reminder : no LED nor jack in the FP4, and it is a LCD too

6 Likes

Maybe Design rhe next Phone in this way to replace the Coremodule even Like Framework is doing IT with their Laptops.
Basic Design of the newenMainboard ist Always the Same to replace it with the next Generation.

2 Likes

I hope the FP5 will be thinner and less wide. But i guess that won’t be the case. Maybe at least the battery and camera modules are the same. That would makes it easier to support the FP4 longer and improve the cameras for 2 phones at the same time. Or at least offer the FP5 camera as an upgrade option for the FP4.

But mostly, I hope it has an OLED screen. Other than that. Modern look succeeded!!

Also, the side mic is now in a much more practical position, higher up. That may prevent some calling issues.

Major downside are the dramatic round corners. It’s not practical. It cuts away icons, text from websites and makes the usable space of the notification bar less efficient. The renders of the Pixel 8 show a much better approach. Rounded corners, but not as dramatic.

3 Likes

If you refer to the side-to-side supra you can see that there is little chance of that happening. Maybe the selfie camera or the bottom module, but I wouldn’t hold my breath about the main camera

I’ve seen reviews about such and I think it’s a good approach. Now as AMD CPUs are also in the game I might take a closer look some day.
But maybe Fairphone pioneers again with such a design, who knows.

About the specs I am wondering what Fairphone will put focus on this time.
I don’t think more than 8GB RAM are needed for a “mobile” handset. But some individuals use such devices as desktop/notebook replacement. Anyway many apps not necessarily ask for more than 8GB RAM. 256GB storage sounds as a good start. Still one could pop in another 1TB sd card if it feels better.

More performance is always a good way to go. A 48MP camera already is within the top range. Some maybe want to have a “night vision” feature. But for one who is seriously/professionally moving in the still picture/video realm most probably use some kind of DSLR device as well.
There’s 5G capability but by now I didn’t think of changing my data plan at any time, so…
Maybe Wifi6(E) will be a new candidate onboard.
Imho there’s not much left in hardware to advance, I rather see many software issues to address.

Internal positions of some units I actually neglect. I don’t care where to push in my SIM or SD card.
I do care how the antennas are routed internally for better/best reception and transmission.
I didn’t see a valid point for dropping the tiny little bitty mini notification LED worth only $0,000000001 cent. But well, for me no reason to step away.
Atm. I couldn’t think of any feature that would get me to purchase the FP5 as I am fully covered with my FP2 + FP4 big. I tend to believe the pandemic put a serious cut into Fairphone’s expectations.
I’m curious though which magic will be presented.

7 Likes

I skipped the FP4 (and 3.1) because 3 was still going strong. It still is, but I might be tempted into buying a 5 when the first bugs have been ironed out, and keep the 3 for parts (there are 3 more 3’s in the family)

3 Likes

Only a year after the 3 and then only tinkering with the audio on the core module and a couple of camera ‘upgrades’ so you didn’t miss much there and have the benefit of a 3.5 jack socket and a notification LED…

So I’m in for waiting for the the FP6

3 Likes

Just wondering if they have any lighter weight phones for the FP5 ? I have FP4, I think it is brilliant after flashing with e/os. Only thing that bothers me is the phones weight… !

Phones (plural) lucky to get one model every two year, so no way is a lighter phone likely, smaller is also a sometimes ask . . .

Coming from an almost 7 years old FP2 they need to integrate a real showstopper to keep me from upgrading. I think it’s a good sign that 4 and 5 look pretty similar as that probably means that they have found some design principles that were good enough to be repeated. I can live with an adaptor for the headphones, but some replacement for the notification light would be cool in the FP5 indeed. Looking forward to the exact specs.

7 Likes

thought it would be too much to ask. Pixel 4XL is a thick heavy phone… I have a Galaxy A52 also, it is half the thickness and half the weight, so no problem in shorts or shirt pockets, as i do not carry a handbag !!

It’s no full LED replacement as it does not work in “sticky mode”.
But maybe an acceptable option for general subtle notification.

Does it look like the FP5 screen could be a replaceable unit onto an FP4? if it’s an OLED with AOD that would really be something I might consider doing :slight_smile:

Most likely not, the connector is at a different spot. Also I doubt that it’s OLED.

1 Like

I agree that most likely the complete FP5 display unit (the “module” as a whole) will not fit the FP4. However, I keep wondering if – assuming these are indeed the same size for FP5 and FP4 – the display and the touch-sensitive part might be usuable for future FP4 display units.

My thinking is that just the connecting parts (the connector band, the plastic clamps, the screw holes/threads etc.) would differ which could at least make production of FP4 and FP5 display units easier and cheaper (and thus allow these to be supplied as spare parts for longer).

2 Likes

we can even wonder: maybe FP could try to make a display module for FP4 that would be a “version/port” of the FP5 display : it would be an upgrade for the FP4 (esp. if its OLED)
I don’t know enough about LCD/OLED to even know if it’s possible. @Razem you don’t seem to believe it’ll be OLED: why ?

2 Likes