FP4 + Ubuntu Touch

Hello,

Is there any updates regarding Ubuntu touch port for FP4?
Is there any repository I can check in case I can contribute somehow?

Thanks!

Did you check the UBPorts Forum?

I will check it out thank you!

@z3ntu 's repository of UT for FP4 is this one: Luca Weiss / fairphone-fp4 · GitLab

2 Likes

Seems that Alfred (fredldotme) is also working on a Ubuntu port :smiley:

7 Likes

The future arrival of the Fairphone 4 under Ubuntu Touch was announced this evening during the UBports Q&A 120 session.

Even if some small details still need to be fine-tuned, the device would already work very well with Ubuntu Touch (Thanks Florian for the mini demo!)

It will soon be integrated into the UBports installer.
It is a Halium 11 port.

I am very happy about this news!

Congratulations again to the whole team!

7 Likes

I’ve been waiting for this and it was wonderful to get the news! Seems like FP4 will enjoy good support from Ubuntu Touch.

The installer already got the required release with the additional features needed for FP4 and I’m really eager to try this. I wonder how easy it would be to install right now, would it be more involved than taking the draft config for the installer and use that with the new release? Of course it shouldn’t be long before it will be just a matter of downloading the installer anyway.

Maybe I’ll try that again, so far I’ve always felt somehow not so at home. Still a beautiful thing :slight_smile:

I just hope they have the bricking of the FP4 halfway under control…

Bricking happens when one relock the bootloader, I guess it’s not a good idea to do so with Ubuntu Touch due to the way the operating system currently handles system updates.

See this blog post from Alfred: https://fredl.me/envisioning-verified-boot-on-ubuntu-touch-devices/

4 Likes

Thank you for this interesting read!

Great news, ubports installer is very close to getting an initial config for FP4 now: Installer config for FP4 in final tests | UBports Forum

Ubuntu Touch will be a wonderful option for FP4! If anyone’s up to do some testing of the current version of the installer config that can be useful for the UT devs to verify it as being ready as well.

4 Likes

Ubuntu Touch can now be installed on Fairphone 4 with the UBports installer!

7 Likes

Anyone installed UT on their Fairphone 4? I made the jump and enjoy the Google-free experience in general but it seems to be eating my battery charge really quick, seems like making a charge last a day is difficult. Wonder if this is to be expected in your experience too or if something’s amiss with my system?

Is Waydroid working? Their devices page doesn’t even list it.

Nope, currently not. Have a look here, it gives quite a good overview:

3 Likes

Waydroid lacks official support for Halium 11 devices (which FP4 Ubuntu Touch is) in general currently and I suppose it is because they don’t have a version based on LineageOS 11 yet. It’s being worked on and there could be unofficial images built even if the project doesn’t come out with support though.

2 Likes

Have you noticed any sensor issues as described here?

Audio fixed for calls from today ! Also there are images on Github for people one run WayDroid i use it almost one week, it’s not official but trustable as the where build from a guy on the Waydroid group. One thing the images are without Gapps.

WayDroid would be there for Hallium 11 as soon the release 1.3.1 would be out.

4 Likes

please look here and download the installer. It is offered by snap under Ubuntu, as an installer. It’s listed there I’ll leave a link. But neither the mobile nor the W-Lan modem was found with me. Had it installed for me. Here is the link to it! Sorry I can’t speak English, I work with a translator! The software for the PF4 is already included in the installer!

I left a tweet about my WiFi problem! To read in the UBPorts forum

Fairphone 4 Ubuntu Touch Fairphone 4 Ubuntu Touch | UBports Forum

1 Like

FP4 is on the supported devices webpage :slight_smile:

7 Likes