FP Security Updates need to be more frequent

Fortunately the tweet is from October 21st, so maybe the “coming months” will be over soon™. If “coming months” means “two months”, the still have time till Christmas and make a present for many FP4 users.

4 Likes

Yeah but if it drops around Christmas then UPPERCASE will be 3 months behind on security updates. My understanding is that he’s upset with this primarily because it breaks some of his work apps, as they rely on up to date security updates.

Maybe going forward the security updates will be smoother, but honestly I doubt it. I would rather have them be transparent about the updates than them being on time with the updates. It’s weird that the 2 month delay on the security updates is a guess of ours, not a confirmed fact by Fairphone at this point.

1 Like

It’s still on sale on Amazon in my country. Maybe check Amazon in your country and it will be on sale there as well.

Then again, Amazon is the anti-Fairphone so you may not want to do that. I wouldn’t.

I’ll give FP another few weeks. I want their mission to succeed, but not at the expense of common sense regarding security updates.

2 Likes

I got tired of waiting. It’s one thing to be on Android 11 still; kind of like running Debian stable assuming security patches are continuously backported. But that isn’t the case; 1 December rolled around and I found myself three months out of date with security updates, so I installed CalyxOS on my FP4 this morning. All is working well now and I’m on Android 13 with a locked bootloader.

I think Fairphone should partner with CalyxOS or somebody and outsource their OS development.

13 Likes

Hi everyone,

Thanks as always for being so frank, and for sharing your thoughts about the need for more frequent communication. This is something for us to improve and we’ll take your feedback internally. You’re all quite right that a status update on this topic could have come earlier and we’re really sorry it has taken some time. As you all know, our team is currently working on the Android 12 update and we’ve been gearing up for the roll out which, in our original planning, would have started this week. Unfortunately, we’ve had to postpone the Android 12 release due to critical emergency calling issues that were identified in certain countries.

In the meantime, however, our team is currently working on the Android 11 security patch for November, which will be released in the coming days. When that goes live I’ll pop a message both here and on our social channels, so no need to contact our support team. If you have already logged a support ticket, then you will be updated via email when the update is released.

We know this is disappointing news and we sincerely apologize if you have been affected by certain apps not functioning at full capacity or that are temporarily inaccessible. Our team is working hard to ensure that all issues are smoothed out as soon as possible so we can release Android 12 early next year. Thanks once again for your patience. We really appreciate it.

30 Likes

A weekly or, hell, even monthly update like this, although disappointing, would help address a lot of the communication concerns.

16 Likes

Thank you for the update, @formerFP.Com.Manager. It makes me, and I expect will make many others, happy to know that updates are coming soon. Not much more than that was needed.

I do agree that communication on the topic of updates by Fairphone could use improvements. I hope that can be remedied both for the benefit of existing customers and Fairphone’s good brand.

5 Likes

Well, here’s the thing. We didn’t know until now, at least not officially. That’s the whole problem in a nutshell. If Fairphone had been more transparent and prompt with these announcements, there would have been less gossip and less complaints.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m thankful for the explanation you provided us with. But it simply came a month too late.

12 Likes

Indeed. I also fail to see why the security updates should be delayed for three full months just because they are working on a new major update.

As stated prior, Debian does not stop supplying security updates the months before dropping a new release, so why should Fairphone?

Pretty great to get an update on the situation, even if it means my phone won’t be seeing Android 12 this year.

7 Likes

Can you please let us know when you release the version, would love to be a beta tester too.

2 Likes

So true, even /e/ foundation or iodéOS should join forces, they are basically all doing the same (CalyxOS and iodéOS are both using MicroG that is developed by /e/ foundation). Not saying it’s easy because they each have their own idea and roadmap for the future, but the community would gain so much.

2 Likes

Mildly relevant is this table I maintain that tracks security updates of GrapheneOS, CalyxOS (FP4), /e/OS (FP2/FP3/FP4), and my DivestOS (FP2/FP3/FP4): https://divestos.org/misc/a-dates.txt
I’ve attached it as a picture here for mobile users:

@mlp

microG is not developed by /e/ foundation and microG even predates the existence of /e/OS, CalyxOS, and iodeOS.

7 Likes

@SkewedZeppelin Yes you are right, I meant “sponsored by /e/ foundation” as written on the website! Not sure how much they are involved in the dev.

Google November Patch is comming out

This is so true @Phragmites !

Seriously @formerFP.Com.Manager - can you consider doing this in a more consistent way please, maybe building an actual company process behind it?

Everyone here just needs some news every now and then, I don’t think it’s going to cost the company too much in terms of resources.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Hi,
I have heard about, that Android 12 had to be postponed due to critical emergency calling issues identified in certain countries.
And Android 11 security patch for November will be released in a few days.

That was already posted here in this thread:

“The coming days” for me is 2-4 days. If it’s not out at the end of next week I’ll be pretty disappointed to be honest.

1 Like

According to customer support “[the] team is currently working on the Android 11 November security patch, which will be released around the middle of this month.” So hopefully, the wait will be over soon…

1 Like