FP4 Root Access is possible, maybe a bit risky

1. Reboot into 175
  2. If that works fastboot boot that 170 boot.img and re-root from that.

You don’t need a matching boot.img, older kernels usually boot just fine. As I said, you won’t have connectivity and there will be some error messages, but that doesn’t really matter as we don’t plan on installing that image. When you run Magisk in that temporarily rooted environment it patches your actual system /boot partition, as long as it boots, that’s enough.

If it doesn’t boot, I’ll walk down two flights of stairs and get you a prepatched 175 one :upside_down_face:

As long as you don’t lock the bootloader, or there is some kind of hardware failure (which would be outside our control), no.
There is however always the possibility of data loss, but if we discover some issue with your partitions, a factory reset might be inevitable anyway and I mean that’s what backups are for … :smirk:

1 Like

Using the unpatched 170 boot image? Then patching, downloading, fast-booting?
If so, I made a fatal failure. :frowning:

I fastbooted the already patched 170 image! Fairphone has no acceleration sensor and reports SD card error.

HELP!

Yep, that’s what I meant. You only need it to be stable enough to open the Magisk app and patch the system (direct install, not OTA!), we don’t plan on running it for long.

Are you on 175 now, did the OTA work? :thinking:

1 Like

The update worked. No errors. 175 was then unrooted (as expected).
After that I issued:

1. adb reboot bootloader
  2. fastboot boot <already patched 170 boot.img>

After reboot I had 175 but with some errors:

• boot process slow
  • no accelerometer sensor
  • error accessing SD card

With other words: unusable.

Is there a way to get stable working rooted 175 without factory reset? I have a recent backup but it’s a lot of work – and even worse the smartwatch has to be set up again.

What do you mean with “patch the system (direct install, not OTA!), we don’t plan on running it for long.”?

Slow boot is normal, issue with some sensors / connectivity is perfectly fine, error accessing SD card is a new one. Is there a real SD card in the phone and is it formated as internal?

Are you able to open the Magisk app? If so I wouldn’t call this unusable :smirk:

By that I mean it doesn’t matter how well the 170 boot.img runs, as long as you are able to use the Magisk app, that’s how I originally got root on the FP4, before there were factory images available.

You boot an older boot.img, end up in a temporarily rooted Android userland that will throw some errors and use those privileges to patch the actual /boot partiton using the Magisk app.

So the 170 image doesn’t end up on your phone, we only need it so Magisk can patch your actual 175 /boot partition (the direct install option in Magisk, so basically the normal rooting procedure).

But, if that doesn’t work for you, as I said I can get you a (patched) 175 boot.img, might take me a few hours, that phone is out on a hike right now … :upside_down_face:

1 Like

O…k…
SD-Card: It is a real SD card formatted as external storage. System seems not to be able to recognize it’s formatting, SD card is not damaged (works as expected in an SD card reader). fsck does not report any errors. An additional error when starting is “System-UI reagiert nicht”. Closing the app helps over that step.

I can open Magisk app. How can I extract the boot.img of 175? I think it’s needed to patch it?

You don’t, all you have to do is choose direct install.

To avoid futher errors (made by me)…

In Magisk I choose “Magisk → Installieren”
But there is the only option “Eine Datei auswählen und patchen”. I cannot find something like “direct install”.

p.s.: I hope you can read the German pieces, I don’t want to have problems from “double translation”.

Are you running from the patched boot.img right now? :thinking: Then it should look like this:

I can read the German pieces just fine, my systems are usually all set to English, so those are the options I remember first :slightly_smiling_face:

After fastboot I have selected “Direct Install” from Magisk. After reboot I have 175 rooted.
But:

• Slow boot process
  • No acceleration sensor
  • Problem mit SD-Karte (only option presented when I select “Mobiler Speicher”: reformat). An other SD card I tried has the same problem.

For these problems no change from boot.img 170.

Huh, that’s weird. :thinking:

And you didn’t experience those issues when first booting 175, right?!
First thing I would do is disable your Magisk modules to see if one of those is causing it. If that doesn’t work, restore the original boot image and check which problems persist in an unrooted state.

I’ll get you proper 175 images, so we can further debug this.

No, unrooted 175 before touching Magisk worked without errors.

Disabling the Magisk modules does not help. After that I did Uninstall Magisk → “Restore Images”
No change, same problems.

That would be nice. I really want to know what’s the cause of these problems.

That certainly doesn’t sound good … :grimacing:

Anyways, here’s a patched 175 boot.img and an unpatched one in case the first one doesn’t work and you need to patch it yourself.
Let’s hope that gets us somewhere :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Thank you!
Just to be sure: Patched has to be

• adb reboot bootloader
  • fastboot boot <patched-boot.img>
  • Open Magisk
  • Magisk Install → Direct Install

Have I to "Uninstall Magisk → “Restore Images” before?

I’d first try booting both and check if the issues are still there.
Should that be the case, hit the button to remove Magisk completely, reboot, check for issues.

If you can’t get the system to boot without problems, there was probably something wrong with your Magisk installation that modified a part of the system irreversibly.
That might be what caused the OTA updates to fail in the first place.

Since your modules don’t seem likely and the logs didn’t point to anything I’m really not sure at the moment what might have caused this :thinking:

What means “booting both”?

Time to sync:
Currently I have a phone with .175 unrooted. What shall I do with the original 175 boot image and what shall I do with the patched 175 boot image?

Sorry if this sounds dump but I am a bit unsure now.

No problem :slightly_smiling_face:

Just use fastboot boot to boot the first image, check if the system works, if not, repeat the process with the second one.

No Magisk installation at this point, we need a system that works without issues first.

Booted with the patched image – everything seems to be o.k.
Cannot say if SD card works because changing the card requires rebooting.

Currently no root but 175 installed. Acceleration sensors are working, no error message re. System-UI.

What’s next?

EDIT:

• Switched off
  • inserted SD card in question
  • repeated adb reboot bootloader / fastboot

everything seems to be o.k. SD card works as before.

Allright, that sounds like progress :smiley:

Try installing Magisk through the app again and let’s see what the next reboot will bring :crossed_fingers:

Seems that the phone has been started with the unpatched image. I have just the option “Eine Datei auswählen und patchen”.

md5sum says:

361d8a7d2b0fa3c11e350948ccd5222a  FPOS-A.175-boot.img

For both files! Is it possible that you sent me 2 links to the same file (unpatched image)?