FP4 - Pictures Gallery

danke für deine Mühe! Bei viel Licht sieht man kaum einen Unterschied. Die StockCam-Bilder sind manchmal etwas überbelichtet, die OpenCam-Bilder haben etwas mehr Farbe. GCam-Bilder scheinen etwas dunkler zu sein bzw. mehr Kontrast zu haben.
Könntest du bitte noch eine Gegenüberstellung bei Dämmerung, Indoor und Dunkelheit für uns zur Verfügung stellen?

3 Likes

Ok, some indoors images, two of them for comparison with artificial light on/off (the Space invaders curtain without the room light was taken with flash).

12 Likes

:gb: There seems to be a clear pattern. OpenCamera offers the shrillest colours. I had the same impression from my own similar comparison (on my FP3+). Green tree leaves show this most prominently – slightly reminiscent of 1950s holiday picture cards.

The FP4 stock camera app doesn’t fare that bad here. :+1:

:de: Das Muster erscheint eindeutig, OpenCamera hat die schrillsten Farben. Das hatte ich bei einem ähnlichen Vergleich (mit dem FP3+) auch schon mal festgestellt. Vor allem bei den grünen Blättern von Bäumen fällt das auf – erinnert ein bisschen an die Farben von Urlaubspostkarten im 50er-Jahre-Look.

So schlecht schlägt sich die Stock Camera in deinem Dreier-Vergleich nicht. :+1:

3 Likes

Ich find die Stock Cam Bilder auch am natürlichsten und schärfsten. Bin davon überrascht.

Generally agree, but I’m surprised to see that the below detail has been the best captured by the Open Camera (the yellow leaves and the branches)

1 Like

:gb: Many thanks @Ingo for the very good and clear comparisons! :slightly_smiling_face: That certainly makes a lot of work! For me personally, the Wichaya photos from your last two posts look the best.

As @Moritzw already wrote, comparisons in twilight as well as in darkness would be very exciting and helpful. Maybe you still like to make these as well? That would make me very happy.

:de: Vielen Dank @Ingo für die sehr guten und übersichtlichen Gegenüberstellungen! :slightly_smiling_face: Das macht sicherlich viel Arbeit! Für mich persönlich sehen die Wichaya-Fotos von deinen letzten beiden Posts am besten aus.

Wie @Moritzw schon schrieb, wären Gegenüberstellungen sowohl bei Dämmerung als auch bei Dunkelheit sehr spannend und hilfreich. Vielleicht magst du diese ebenfalls noch machen? Das würde mich sehr freuen.

Shot with stock camera. Exposure is inconsistent, blurry pictures still happen often and the colors don’t seem to be natural. Still, not too bad. Using version v2.0.032(07291500-01.

6 Likes

The only really bad is the colouring of the wide angle lense, thats almost unusable in my eyes

Shot with GCam (showing the actual colours e.g. of the pavement)

Stock Cam Wide Angle lense (pavement is blueish, the church def was not that bride red…)

Under good conditions its def.not too bad compared to Gcam

When its coming to slightly difficult conditions (white dog too white) Gcam is def. better

9 Likes

Gcam, Adobe Lightroom treatment

5 Likes

All took with stock cam

4 Likes

Fairphone 4 versus Google Pixel 6a

In this post I’ll compare the cameras of the Fairphone 4 and the Google Pixel 6a. Every photo on the left is the FP4 and the right one is the 6a.

It’s up to you to decide if this is a fair comparison. Both phones have different missions. But this does put the quality a bit in perspective. To be fair, the lighting conditions kind of favor the Fairphone. In bright light the Fairphone is struggling with the dynamic contrast and color ranges. The season simply doesn’t allow a sunny day comparison at the moment.

I think the cameras on average perform equally. Until it becomes more challenging with the light and zoom. I think Fairphone can be proud. However, they still need to work on better auto focus and dynamic contrast and light. Also the video stabilization is quite poor and the color accuracy of videos and sound quality is terrible. There is work to be done, but so far they delivered a fairly usable camera which will be sufficient for not too demanding environments.

OS version: FP4.FP4G.A.170.20220920
Stock camera version: v2.0.032(07291500-01)

Wide angle

Night mode

Zoom

Maximum zoom

2x zoom

Normal

Up close

Regular

Video

18 Likes

Thank you for that comparison. I’m on the fence of replacing my Pixel 2 and the Fairphone checks all the boxes except for the camera. It mostly performs well enough except for low light. Do you by any chance also have some of those shots with the gcam port? To be honest those pictures of the traktor wheels aren’t to flattering for the fairphone. And I’m really curiouse if a different camera app might have dealt better with it or if it is really the sensor that just can’t keep up. This is especially interesting from you because it would be in direct comparison to a phone known for it’s good camera.

There is an FP4 GCam topic in this forum as well, but I just browsed through it and there aren’t many samples posted there (my link is to some though :slight_smile: ). I think you will find at least the same number of comparison shots in this topic here, watch out especially for @Ingo’s (topic starter), but also several others’ posts here.

1 Like

Just in case FP views this topic

5 Likes

Outdoors with the right light the FP4 can come quite close to high end camera quality. But indoors with daylight coming through it creates fuzzy out or focus with a strange color blend photos. This still makes me sad. Shooting pictures of a new born baby in the family is basically not done with this phone. Luckily there are family members with a Pixel and iPhone otherwise those memories are basically lost.

I won’t share pictures of people. But the comparison below gives the gist of it. Faces are horrible indoors and ghosting effects occur easily.

6 Likes

Sunrise today

13 Likes

Waiting for the bus in the dark

The OpenCamera image in the first row unfortunately was taken with flash while all others were without flash.

Here I think I definitely prefer the stock cam.

10 Likes

Indeed, the stock app did a very decent job there.

2 Likes

Thanks for the comparison at night! :smiley:
I am really surprised. I also find the stock app the best. Especially in difficult lighting conditions, I would have rather tipped on gcam. But here I find even open camera better than gcam. Although the images of open camera are quite blurry.

So, since i was pleasantly surprised how the FP4 did while running around on Halloween - i decided to add my first post here :slight_smile:

The other pictures contain people, so i wont post them. The FP4 tried to have the faces of people decently lit, and did not try to push the darkness around the subjects higher (as the pixel 6 of my wife tried, which led to heavy grain in those areas).

The Hardware is quite capable, so i am positive that with just some fine tuning the lighting/HDR in the Stock Camera could be improved and reach quite high quality.

13 Likes