FP4 heat up very fast

Alright. But after exiting safe mode, all apps will be back to normal, no login’s lost?

There should be no side effects. Although Firefox web shortcuts were lost last time I did it. But everything else such as apps, widgets, settings, all were preserved. Make sure to disable airplane mode in safe mode. Then at least the phone isn’t completely forced in an idle state, and thus we also make sure the SIM card is used. In case it’s damaged it may cause a power drain as well.

I found a nice wiki that explains all the considerations :slight_smile: I also included 2 extra steps to check.

2 Likes

Perfect! Thanks, i will check it and test it and come back onCe i know more. I will be on vacation next week, so i might only reply in two weeks

Update: i did 4hrs in safety mode, batterylevel went from 68% to 56% during that time, so certainly better than before. I will now try to figure out what exactly it is. I am glad for any tipps how to rule it out😃

Next step may be to check persistent processes.

1 Like

I thought it was the bad signal, but that’s not it. I spent a full day with perfect reception, Battery drained quickly too. I have started now checking that persistent processes, and will let you know if I find anything. If you know an app that would show the real battery suckers, thanks to let me know!

1 Like

[I wrote this days ago but for some reason I forgot to post, maybe I wanted to check something but I can’t remember what, now! :thinking: ]

Yes these symbols indicate outgoing and incoming mobile data traffic. Same for Wi-Fi when enabled.

Your particular use case seems to include a large number of communication apps that are all likely to produce a lot of traffic and also notifications. To my mind this combination may result in increased battery drain if you have all these apps constantly checking for new info.

I have an idea (but no detailed analysis) that unacknowledged notifications in the status bar can be a source of increased battery consumption.

You can disable them somewhere? Because to me these arrows seem like a bug, something that should only be used for testing. Or at least make it work without making all icons bounce all over the place :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just sent the following to support. When there is WiFi or mobile network traffic, 2 arrows appear in the status bar which push other icons to the side for a second. This is distracting and looks like an UI error. Please reserve space in the status bar for these arrows so the icons won’t move anymore, or add an option to disable these arrows. Thanks. I’ll update this thread when I have a response.

Thanks alot!

I managed to improve battery life alot now! I deinstalled Sophos Intercept, and at the same time I always killed apps. If I constantly kill all apps, battery life is better, as soon as I forget it, battery drains. So that might be it. But as I forget it from time to time, can anyone recommend a good app that kills apps regularly?

Thanks alot for all your help!

1 Like

That’s interesting as there are arguments to the exact opposite, that closing and reopening apps require more power and those in memory use none. I will find the quote on this site :slight_smile:

Of course it doesn’t take into account that some apps are continuously testing signals and trying to connect.

Thanks

As for closing apps:

If you use the 3 button navigation, for example and click on the square to the right you can see what apps you have running. If you scroll to the left or drag right you will see the option in text to [CLOSE ALL]

Well i know how to close apps, i want an app that closes them regularly.

And as for quote, it doesn’t change anything, as i see it on my phone that battery life is drastically better if i close the apps

1 Like

Have you searched the internet apkpure.com for example may have something.

But surely you will have to keep telling the app which to close as you change your use else it may turn off some you want kept ‘running’ In which case [a tap ~ a scroll ~ and a tap] every now and then would seem usable.

So how often do you want to have the apps switched off and have you used the Developers options to Close all background activity > Apps > Don't keep activities and Background processes

Maybe it’s still only one app mainly draining your battery (and obviously it doesn’t drain it once you close it - together with all other apps…) :thinking:

2 Likes

Hey
I was wondering if you have an update yet?
It was better with the battery life, not good but acceptable. Since a few days it got worse again. It’s really a bit annoying and frustrating.
I removed SIP call, i removed most of the notifications. Sometimes battery even goes down in airplane mode when I don’t even touch it for several hours.
There is nothing in the “active processes” that seems suspicious…

Anyone has a special trick ready that I can try?

Best is to #contactsupport at the moment I don’t experience heating issues. But that may return in summer.

Yes I’ve seen this too, since the latest update. I’ve opened a ticket with Support, as is also advised by Uppercase above.

More discussion on this for example here and here (in French).

I wish FairPhone 4 can not heat up in my pocket.

Well you’ll have to do some analysis to find out what activities and apps are causing this. There’s plenty of discussion on this above and elsewhere in the forum.

My FP4 does not heat up noticeably but as stated above and in another thread about FP4 battery performance, daily battery life has noticeably decreased since the B.048 update and doesn’t seem to have noticeably improved with the B.058 and B.065 updates we’ve had since.

1 Like