FP4 - gcam-port

nice to see that more custom ROMs are being worked on (:

Yes, great

Two now available

• /e/OS
  • iodè

But iodè is much easier to install and in my opinion, more stable and comfortable.

A shame none of them comes with the possibility to flash a nano/pico GApps on it. Even if I get the point is to provide google-free roms.

your best bet is to wait for a LineageOS build.

3 Likes

Indeed I am :smiley: I’m not a patient person…

3 Likes

Regarding “No wide angle lens support”, I was told by support this isn’t intentional and it will be probably fixed in the future:

the wide-angle camera should be usable in other apps but I can confirm it’s not. I’ve reported this to our Quality team and we’ll likely fix it at some point in the future but for the time being, you will have to use our app for such pictures.

14 Likes

Another comparison
Left (IMG_) is the GrapheneOS camera
On the right (PXL_) is the Gcam, Nikita gcam port

Both pictures were taken without HDR option.

I have the impression that when zooming in the gcam looks unnatural, somehow overdriven.
The GrapheneOS, although a bit blurrier, looks more natural.
It also looks more like reality when you look at the situation through your eyes instead of through the camera.

What is your impression?

5 Likes

I agree about Gcam looking less natural in terms of brightness/colors - everything seem a bit oversaturated and whites are too strong - but the details are definitely sharper on Gcam.
In the end I’d chose the sharpest picture even if I have to edit afterwards to get better colors, since anyway, most phone pictures requires editing if you want to make it a beautiful piece.

3 Likes

Don’t forget that Gcam also has a RAW mode so you can get a file without the postprocessing.

3 Likes

Thank you I’ve tried it but for now no wide angle. But otherwise the gcam app is more easy to use than open camera.

I am running /e/OS, is it true that the image quality is reduced compared to Fairphone OS?

If it is true? I don’t know.
But the quality with opencamera on FPOS was much better then on /e/OS. My experience…

I gather you are using GraphoneOS. How is it on there?
Can you access the wide angle lense?

I am using iodè OS with GrapheneOS camera.
I cannot access the wide angle lens. As in every Custom ROM.
This wide angel lens is (at the moment) only accessable in original FP OS.

GrapheneOS Camera is open to download:

Hello

Sorry but with /e/ you also have wide angle mode (main camera ID2). :wink:
In horrible quality like the stockcam unfortunately has but it works.
Everything is still a bit new, time heals all wounds . . . hopefully :thinking:

1 Like

Also for me, in eOS, wide angle camera runs, but only with 12MP, not 48MP

Hello

Is already known since the FP3+, different phone but same problem or explanation
Sometimes the search also helps with “similar” phones :wink:

But the FP4 cameras are different, they can generate a 48MP output, not like the FP3+ camera.

1 Like

I think this applies only to the main sensor. Even the stock camera app doesn’t allow you to take a 48MP photo using the wide-lens camera.

Yes 12Mp max output using wide angle

wide

I would read that as 48 MPs at 0.8µm and 12 MPx at 1.6µm (0.8 @ 2x2) and note only the later has the suffix ‘output’

Fairphone, and others, usually leave out the difference between photosites and pixels, hence the MP

2 Likes

As always with Fairphone camera specs, that can be read in many different ways :wink:.

3 Likes