FP4 - gcam-port

Thanks for the replies.
Then I’ll stay with the stock app for the moment.

If anyone manages it to get the gcam working with both cameras, please let me know. :slightly_smiling_face:

Best,
Marco

2 Likes

Just thought about that topic.
Is it probably possible for the Fairphone developers to provide a configuration file for the GCam_8.1.101_Wichaya_V1.4_Snapcam.apk to make both cameras usable or is this a copyright issue?

I doubt they’re going to be willing to support a third party hack like this one, although I’d love to be surprised.

2 Likes

So do I.
It seems that Google actually provides the best camera interface. It would be great if Fairphone could provide fully compatible Fairphone-ports for the usage of third party products like Google camera or other camera-software.

1 Like

Also seems to me that a gcam port gives the best results especially in difficult lighting conditions. However, I think it is unrealistic for Fairphone to partner with the gcam-modder-community. I rather think that you would have to find a developer in the community who would be willing to adapt his port to the FP4. I don’t know how the communication goes though. If there is a specific forum where you can discuss such requests.

By the way, a new version has just been released:

4 Likes

Just wanted to post a link to this page, as it has all Gcam ports for download and many more probably useful information

See FAQ “How to use multiple Cameras” maybe there are hints how to enable/use wide angle?

3 Likes

Installed it too, sound on recorded video is very low even at maximum volume, did you experience this too ?

Edit: nevermind, seems like it’s an issue with stock camera as well, volume is not being recorded as “strong” as I thought it would.

Manual in German:

Handbook:

Maybe these links contain helpful information for one or the other as well.

2 Likes

Are you sure snapcam has anything to do with snapdragon? All Gcam ports are for snapdragon socs and are only working partially e.g. for mediathek. And Snapcam is a Snapchat/Videochat application

Edit: OK seems the Snapchat idea was a bit stupid😉 see below for further explanations

2 Likes

no it’s not, at least not in this context. the package name (org.codeaurora.snapcam) suggests that it’s got something to do with Code Aurora Forum, which as far as I understand is Qualcomm’s repository of their modifications to AOSP’s source code.

3 Likes

I found this explanation

org.codeaurora.snapcam is the package name for a specific Google Camera port mod developed for non-Google devices. The package name is solely used to denote the mod version of GCAM for non-Pixel users to utilize Google’s rich photography skills.

4 Likes

there’s a mention of the Auxilliary cameras option in the settings, but so far I haven’t been able to switch to the wide angle, no matter which ID I’d try.

edit: I’ve also checked Open Camera, and according to its FAQ there should be an option in settings to enable a button for switching between multiple cameras, but it isn’t there on my FP4. perhaps it’s an issue on Fairphone’s implementation of the multiple camera thingy, then.

Gcam Wichaya V1.5
when I click under More → Playground, the app crashes. Is that only for me that way?

It also crashes on Wichaya V1.4

2 Likes

No, it crashes here too. The stock camera app crashes when I try to open the gallery (Simple Gallery here). And there were a few other crashes of several apps on my FP4 so far. That’s why I think it is more likely a problem of the phone than of a specific app. At least the FP4 doesn’t reboot like my FP2.

2 Likes

Gcam and Stock Cam crash when the Google Gallery app is disabled. is the app deactivated for you?

Steven

2 Likes

Yes, the Google Gallery App is deactivated. The stock app crashes, GCam doesn’t crash and works fine with Simple Gallery (but crashes when tapping “playground”).

if you have Google Photos disabled, go to GCam settings (swipe down, then tap on the cogwheel icon), then scroll down to Advanced and enable the “Use a third party gallery” toggle. Simple Gallery works fine that way for me. I don’t see any way to fix the crash in the stock app for now, though.

9 Likes

@AlphaElwedritsch

First you reported that you are using the Snapcam version. Now you say that you tried the version without name suffix (GCam_8.1.101_Wichaya_V1.5.apk). So your experience now is that the version without name suffix works better than the Snapcam version (GCam_8.1.101_Wichaya_V1.5_Snapcam.apk), right?

they’re two identical versions, the only difference is in the package name.

2 Likes