FP4 - gcam-port

Dear community,

I just got my FP4 and I’m really satisfied with this phone.
Nevertheless in camera-tests, the cam-software still not seems to provide the complete potential of the hardware which is build in.
It seems that there exists a compatible gcam-port for the camera:

Has anyone tried it yet and is this port fully compatible with the camera-module?

As I’m not a Android tinkerer, I would like to know if this gcam-port is configurable for the FP4 without having a deep dive into Android or gcam-port configuration.

Thanks very much for any response.

Best,
Marco

5 Likes

Hi Marco, welcome to the community.

Here you can find at least some pictures, also taken with the gcam port

1 Like

I use this one without problems.
snap, because we have a snapdragon CPU.

GCam_8.1.101_Wichaya_V1.4_Snapcam.apk

6 Likes

just keep in mind that it doesn’t let you switch between the regular and wide angle camera, as far as I can tell.

4 Likes

I just tried it and it doesn’t have High Pixel resolution 48MP, same in OpenCamera

1 Like

that’s another thing, yes. they’re limited to 12 MP.

1 Like

@Ingo : Which file did you use?

I didn’t use any config file. Did you spot some photo where I didn’t specify that? I only added those hints later and might have overlooked one.

Sorry @Ingo, I wanted to know which .apk-file you used.
GCam_8.1.101_Wichaya_V1.4.apk or GCam_8.1.101_Wichaya_V1.4_Snapcam.apk (like @AlphaElwedritsch) … or …?

1 Like

Both are working.
But i used the snap version because i think it is better optimized for snapdragon processor.

4 Likes

Thanks for the replies.
Then I’ll stay with the stock app for the moment.

If anyone manages it to get the gcam working with both cameras, please let me know. :slightly_smiling_face:

Best,
Marco

2 Likes

Just thought about that topic.
Is it probably possible for the Fairphone developers to provide a configuration file for the GCam_8.1.101_Wichaya_V1.4_Snapcam.apk to make both cameras usable or is this a copyright issue?

I doubt they’re going to be willing to support a third party hack like this one, although I’d love to be surprised.

2 Likes

So do I.
It seems that Google actually provides the best camera interface. It would be great if Fairphone could provide fully compatible Fairphone-ports for the usage of third party products like Google camera or other camera-software.

1 Like

Also seems to me that a gcam port gives the best results especially in difficult lighting conditions. However, I think it is unrealistic for Fairphone to partner with the gcam-modder-community. I rather think that you would have to find a developer in the community who would be willing to adapt his port to the FP4. I don’t know how the communication goes though. If there is a specific forum where you can discuss such requests.

By the way, a new version has just been released:

4 Likes

Just wanted to post a link to this page, as it has all Gcam ports for download and many more probably useful information

See FAQ “How to use multiple Cameras” maybe there are hints how to enable/use wide angle?

3 Likes

Installed it too, sound on recorded video is very low even at maximum volume, did you experience this too ?

Edit: nevermind, seems like it’s an issue with stock camera as well, volume is not being recorded as “strong” as I thought it would.

Manual in German:

Handbook:

Maybe these links contain helpful information for one or the other as well.

2 Likes

Are you sure snapcam has anything to do with snapdragon? All Gcam ports are for snapdragon socs and are only working partially e.g. for mediathek. And Snapcam is a Snapchat/Videochat application

Edit: OK seems the Snapchat idea was a bit stupid😉 see below for further explanations

2 Likes

no it’s not, at least not in this context. the package name (org.codeaurora.snapcam) suggests that it’s got something to do with Code Aurora Forum, which as far as I understand is Qualcomm’s repository of their modifications to AOSP’s source code.

3 Likes