FP4 : Call volume too loud with and without loud speakers

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I’ve contacted support and am waiting for a reply. It’s certainly a software issue and various other threads indicated it was solved with an update but I just found the problem spread to other apps. Any of the FP3 threads cover my issue (anything with voice/video calls) but I posted it here because those other threads were inactive. The route of the issue is likely to be the same. It’s a software bug that needs to be fixed. I work with large codes and we manage to route out bugs so I can’t believe FP can’t find the cause of the problem. It’s worrying the same issue has been going on for years!
All the best

Inactivity very often means the problem was solved, even though so many people write in here to report problems but much more rarely bother to say when they’re solved.

To help identify the problem you are seeing, could you

• Confirm your OS build number by going to
    Settings > About phone > Build number
  • Boot into Safe Mode
  • Test volume using stock apps such as Phone, Chrome.

Thanks

1 Like

Hi all,

I have this issue too, any way to fix it?

Thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum.
a) Did you see OldRoutard’s post above as you haven’t provided any detail as indicted there ??

b) The Safe mode start and use is to rule out any custom apps. My daughter has an FP4 with no such issue so it isn’t endemic to the basic phone or FPOS A11 of the last few releases

Hi, I tested it in safe mode and the issue persists. I saw that Pixel 6 users had a similar issue and were able to fix it by turning off Hearing Aid in Accessibility settings. However, I can’t find this setting in the Fairphone.

I’m using an FP3+ on the latest software. It has always been an issue since the first day I used the phone, thankfully it doesn’t happen on Bluetooth headphones.

Clutching at straws here :slight_smile:

There is a volume controls via Developer Options though it does come under the Bluetooth options it may effect other outputs
Screenshot_20221102-121002_1

And while the following post seems to be more about the mic than the speakers it relates to a Google app that interferes and maybe worth looking at

OS build no. 8901.4.A.0017.3

The volume is adjustable on Phone and ‘media’ such as websites, youtube. The problem remains with Whatsapp and Messenger.

The FP support have got back to me now, so I’ll see what they suggest.

1 Like

I too experience this issue. The in-call volume is painfully high and the volume slider has very little effect on the volume. The same issue persists whether I use the phone on the ear or with an external wired headset. My device is Fairphone 4 with Android 11. My headset is a Jabra headset with a 3,5 mm audio jack and I use it with a 3,5 mm to usb-C adapter that has DAC.

I have also contacted support about the issue.

Next I will look into disabling the Google app though since someone wrote it helped in their case.

2 Likes

Call volume on my Fairphone 4 (with factory Android 11) is also too loud, whether using its built-in earpiece or loudspeaker, or a wired analog headset via USB-C adapter.

Interestingly, during a call the volume buttons move the thumb of the volume slider in about 5 steps, though I’m unsure if the volume actually changes. On the volume settings page, I can move the control in 7 steps–all still too loud. The media volume control gets 15 steps.

Can you #contactsupport so that they can gather your input on this.
Thanks! :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks. I submitted a support ticket.

Because my problem is within 30 days of receiving my Fairphone 4, Fairphone support directed me to contact the reseller I bought it from.

That’s a pretty poor response, especially considering that my problem is with such a basic requirement (actually being able to use a telephone for calls).

Why do you think that? All official support would be directed the vendor who’s choice is

• Return the fee if within 30 days
  • Offer a replacement phone
  • Try and fix it (unlikely)
  • Send back to Fairphone

A basic requirement ??

Broken screen, not charging, no sound . . . many things would seem to be a basic requirement, but what ever that is if you bought from a retailer they are the port of call surely . . . not the manufacturer.

My “basic requirement” is that I be able to use my telephone to make and receive calls.

Being unable to reduce the call volume to a level that doesn’t hurt my ears makes that very difficult.

Referring me to the reseller for support would make sense if my problem were due to a defect with my individual unit, but I doubt that’s the case.

Waiting to hear from Fairphone support again.

Whereas that seems sensible, the retailer is not just the first place of call but the intermediary you chose. So whatever the issue they could/should be discussing the issue with Fairphone on your behalf.

Has the re-seller offered you another phone to try, anyway you can dampen the speakers physically

The reseller (TechInn) was very difficult to deal with, requiring many pictures and videos of the problem to the point that it was easier for me not to pursue the issue through them. (I would have preferred to buy directly from Fairphone, but they wouldn’t ship to me in the US.)

Fairphone had me update the software to the latest build, Android 12. The call volume problem seems less bad, but my earbuds are still too loud to use for calls. (Playing media they’re great.)

Not just shipping, warranty must go via the reseller but good to know Fairphone responded to you

I had the same issue (FP4), plus my calls were being muted.

The issue for me was related to the fact that I had one physical sim card (inactive), as well as a digital sim card. Removing the physical sim card fixed the problem for me. Obviously not an ideal solution for everyone but hopefully this at least points in the direction of the problem.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! Please make sure you contactsupport with this information. They can forward this information to the developers. Here are just a bunch of users, like you.

Hi, I have the same problem: volume too loud for calls on speaker or loudspeaker.
While, as I understood correctly, some of the users experience the same problem even on earphones, the volume on BT earphones is pretty normal in my case.

I have a FP4 with e/OS/ 1.16 installed, with MicroG 0.2.29.
I tried the workarounds I read about, but none of those did the trick for me.

2 Likes