FP4 Battery life

How do I do the battery test? Thanks

Yeah… I mean it might be interesting to try to identify the cause of all this but honestly, that just seems like plain battery defect to me. I’d email fairphone support mentionning:

1. your battery is drained of 50% of its capacity in 1 hour of idle state
  2. nothing gets recorded in the battery usage

This has to be immediately identified as a symptom of defective battery and be subject to warranty.

Having owned a bunch of devices myself, when the battery behaves that bad, I can’t recall any time this ended up solved with any software manipulation. But I might be wrong…

In any case, might worth a shot to order a spare battery. If it solves the issue you’ll know the first battery is broken and can make use of warranty; if not and the issue comes from the device you’ll end up with a spare battery which is always a good thing.

3 Likes

Use the phone dialler to get to system tests.
*#*#2886#*#*

You’ll need to leave it running a bit longer again, rebooting the phone will wipe battery usage data and according to your screenshot the last reboot was 1 h 10 min ago.
Without aggregated battery usage data, enabling “Mostrar uso completo del dispositivo” will of course also show nothing…

It seems that is a battery problem. When charged at 100% if I turn off the phone, pull out the battery and then turn it on again it says that it remains 13% or 40% or 60% (this has been the last one I did). I will try to recalibrate the battery and see if that is the problem. Thanks

… does it seriously say 169% in that battery usage graph? What does that even mean?

1 Like

It’s displaying the battery usage since the last full charge. But the battery was charged several times without reaching 100%. So the usage can sum up more than 100%.

4 Likes

Mine never does such crazy figures, but I do have an FP3. Still I’m pretty sure that’s a malfunction.

I never charge my phon to 100% and if I disconnect at 90% it considers that a full charge, which is also a bit weird.
I can see a bit of not-fun checking this out :slight_smile:

No its not, it always happens when you charge around 80% which is not considered a full charge and the systems therfore keeps and sums up the information. Thats true for all FPs.

5 Likes

So maybe the 80% is the cut off period for deciding what is a full charge, though I did say 90%.

I will try and pay more attention to the state of my battery to confirm.

MOVED an update to another topic as it’s a bit off maybe.

It’s displaying the battery usage since the last full charge.

I’d call that confusing – but I can’t think of anything to do that’s less confusing, and it is at least informative. Thanks for demystifying!

2 Likes

Confusing figures, absolutely.

Maybe my contribution here is a bit off topic as it relates to the recordings of an FP3 so I have moved the content to a separate topic.

I was not able to continue after It appeared a screen with red, blue and Green. Didn’t see the option to continue…

7 abr 2022, 19:04 por forum@fairphone.com:

Battery life is quite good. Been using the phone with speakers on or Bluetooth, with brightness on auto. So during the day basically at 100%.

• Regular phone calls
  • Signal calls and messages
  • Regular browsing
  • YouTube for music and videos
  • Moderate gaming
  • Watched a few minutes of series from my SD card

Total on screen time: 6 hours and 33 minutes. I had a brief battery boost in the afternoon.

Confirmed, it is a battery problem. Yesterday I recalibrated the battery and it drained from 100 to 75 quickly but then after 75% it behaved normally. I will continue recalibrating and will see if I can get 100%

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, how do you recalibrate your battery? Isn’t that something Android automatically does for you?

E.g. see #dic:kickstart or ifixit guide to calibrate batteries

3 Likes

I’m following this steps: How to Calibrate Your Android's Battery
But by now it is not working as expected, hehe
I will continue and see if I arrive at 100%

By the way do you have the time and date set to automatically update from the network or do you do it manually when after you remove the phone.

On the FP3 removing the battery with manual time set messes up some battery info based on time.

It is done automatically

1 Like