FP4 and (unofficial) LineageOS

I would not contact any of the developers by e-mail unless asked to do so (even though it’s not his personal makl address). Especially Michael seems to take care of multiple devices and apply a ton of patches for the main branches.
The better way would propably be to provide a matching commit.
Maybe @TeamB58 can tell us about the best approach?

4 Likes

Am I right in thinking (based on GitHub - WeAreFairphone/android_kernel_fairphone_sm7225: kernel for upcoming LineageOS FP4 build) that current LOS images are based on 4.19 Linux Kernel?

It can be anyone who is authenticated on the LineageOS Gerrit platform.

I would also not contact any of the developers as it’s not their job to fix this commit. This has to be done by someone which has commit rights to their platform. Best/easiest way would be the submitter of the initial patch.

It seems so. Why?

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: Official Mainline Kernel Support for FP4 planned?

I’m sorry. I am having no response from Mike on this topic unfortunately. I’ll still try to push for an update.

6 Likes

Would it help if someone else (such as myself) were to rebase and re-submit the changes?

If so, I’d volunteer to do that – I am familiar with git, though not with Gerrit. I have read Submitting patches on the LOS wiki, as well as Contributing to the wiki. Both describe how to submit changes to Gerrit for review, but the procedure differs: instructions for the OS use repo (Google’s tool for managing code spread across multiple git repositories) while the wiki instructions use git (adding Gerrit as an additional remote repository). Can I cut corners by not cloning the entire source tree but just the hudson repository, and submit changes using git, or will that break something?

2 Likes

Update

OK. I got a response from the team. Since lineage-20 is almost ready, they plan to ship Android 13 directly. This might take some time but I am not sure.

@mmustermann if you’re willing to setup and try out lineage-20 on FP4 then you can use the following sources:

You might end up with some compilation issues for which commits are already on Gerrit. Just need to pick the right chain.

Let me know if you get stuck somewhere.

Thanks.

12 Likes

wow, LineageOS 20 being released so soon? that must be a record, the 19 has only been released 5 months ago or so.

1 Like

OK. I got a response from the team. Since lineage-20 is almost ready, they plan to ship Android 13 directly. This might take some time but I am not sure.

Does that mean we’re looking at another few/several months before official LineageOS support for FP4? My understanding being that the groundwork is mostly done, but the process is still experimental.

Hope I’m not being bothersome by asking, just trying to decide whether to wait for LOS support, or go with /e/ or iodé for my new FP4.

Well… I know, no ETA on anything, ever, as there may be unpredictable obstacles until the very end. However, as I understand it, lineage-19 is ready for release on FP4, while lineage-20 might still take some time – weeks? months?

What would it take to release lineage-19, other than fixing up that one merge request? Would they be willing to reconsider their stance on lineage-19? Like so often in the FOSS community, there is a personal itch: my FP4 is in the mail, my OnePlus One is falling apart after eight years, and a quick and smooth transition (no need to mess around with different signatures) would be very much appreciated. Not sure how much I can help with this, but if there is anything I can do, let me know.

I went with /e/, because I come from 14 years of iPhones, and its UI appeals more to me.
It’s great, I really enjoy it!!

It’s currently based on Lineage 18.1.
I don’t know how the FP4 will be supported by /e/ or idoé if it’s just skipped by LOS 19.1
I don’t know the state of developpement of either /e/ or iodé. Are there any versions already based on LOS 19?

Very valid question indeed. The maintainer feels it doesn’t make sense to just have around 4-5 releases of lineage-19 before moving to lineage-20 and I could say nothing to this unfortunately. :frowning_face:

iodéOS 3 has been out since May. It is based on Android 12 respectively LOS 19.

https://iode.tech/en/news/iode-3-android-12-is-here/

1 Like

Who is the maintainer – mikeioannina (as mentioned in Info about FP4 | LineageOS Wiki)? Would I be able to contact him to sort this out (and how)?

If 4–5 releases means they’re anticipating a release of lineage-20 in 4–5 weeks, I can put the FP4 in a drawer and hope the OnePlus One survives until then, and that the data migration from LOS 18 to LOS 20 (skipping LOS 19) will be smooth. But if it takes longer, I would appreciate a LOS 19 build for the FP4 that is signed with official keys, even if it still has some minor glitches – I can live with that for a month or two.

2 Likes

Feels a bit weird to me considering FP4 never went official with LOS 18 because LOS 19 was on the way…

And now, here we go again…

2 Likes

Keep the LineageOS FAQ in mind:

Because all maintainers are volunteers doing this in their free time, and someone happened to love this device enough to bring it up and properly support it.

Releasing 19.1 would mean that Michael “has” to provide support too. It would also mean that he regularly has to switch between both of the versions for testing, assuming he doesn’t own two FP4. That’s probably something he wants to avoid for a couple of weeks.

2 Likes

Funny thing, I’m in the exact same situation here. My OnePlus One faithfully served me for 7-8 years but ultimately I replaced it with a Fairphone 4, and I’d be great to have an official LineageOS build for it.

So, I got my FP4 today and got mmustermann’s LOS build to run on it.

First step is to unlock the bootloader as per the official instructions. You will need the serial number of your device (as reported e.g. by adb devices), as well as the IMEI (more precisely, the IMEI1, as the FP4 is a dual-SIM device).

Steps on the computer are described in a lot of detail there, though only for Windows and MacOS. In fact, it will work on any system which has adb and fastboot set up and working:

• Boot the FP4 into the boot loader, while connected to your computer.
  • Run fastboot flashing unlock.
  • Follow the instructions on the screen – this will wipe all your data.
  • When the device reboots, boot into the boot loader again.
  • Run fastboot flashing unlock_critical.
  • You can now boot into recovery and install the OS of your choice.

Then follow the preliminary LOS setup instructions.

Since LOS18+ no longer includes root functionality, not even as an add-on, you will need to install Magisk for that. The only way this worked for me was via the (deprecated) Custom Recovery install method: download the APK, rename it to .zip and install it as an update using Recovery.

I haven’t gotten around to moving user data yet. Simply restoring a backup, as I did when moving from the Nexus S to the OnePlus One, does not work as TWRP is not yet officially supported on the FP4 (and anyways the FP4 enforces data encryption, which TWRP does not support yet). LineageOS recovery is supported but does not provide data backup/restore functionality. So moving the /data partition over by means of recovery backup/restore is not an option here, I’ll have to figure out something else.

For rooting with magisk see here

And as you are rooted there are several Apps available to do proper backup as far as I understand like Tintanium, Neo, Swift …

2 Likes

Has anyone (besides @mmustermann) tried building LOS? I have never done so myself, but it seems like a fuss.