FP4 and (unofficial) LineageOS

Can someone summarize whats the issue at hand here is in particular? I understand there is a merge conflict, which is why there is no official LOS support for FP4 and that there is a workaround using the solutions advised by mmustermann. However I am looking forward using microG which will only provide the build if it is officially supported by LOS.
I tried to figure out whats the hold up is and especially if this might take I while but I only found minor changes in the conflicting merge.

tl;dr Is there an eta on the conflict? Can anyone shortly explain whats wrong with the merge? Is there a dependency that is unresolved?

I’d guess no one here knows either. Most likely just a single developer looking at it and they haven’t had time or are on vacation or something?

3 Likes

Are there problems known Installing and using Lineage OS 19.1 for FP4?
When will a official version available?

I’ve been using it for a couple of months without major issues.
Battery life is great as long as your reception is decent, only intermittent issues I get are related to bluetooth pairing with specific devices. Nothing that can’t be managed.

This entire thread is partially about how we have no way of knowing the ETA for official release :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So I flashed mmustermanns build, but having trouble flashing MindTheGAPPS 12.01 arm64 version. It says something about this would be SDK32 and I am on SDK.
NikGAPPS core 12.1 arm64 seemed to work.

For those of U using GApps, what did u use?

I had the same problem. I had the following workaround:
I flashed the ROM.
Then setup, skipped what i could skip.
After that the system installed is Android 12 etc, so the GApps package should be compatible.
Again recovery, formatting and flashing the GApps.
It should work now.
Im newbie therefore sorry in case it does not work for you, but for me it worked. :slight_smile:

Edit: i used the MindTheGApps

1 Like

I installed the build from mmustermann because I can’t wait for the official version. It works fine. But however, since then I’ve had problems with desktop mode. I can no longer move the windows

Hello,

I’m using the build of mmustermann and it’s working fine with the Gapps.
I have used the OpenGapps nano.

The only issue I seen for now with this rom is the usage of Greenify.
With or without root, it go to a black screen and I have to restart the smartphone.
I don’t have found a solution for now

Funny how every LOS user has different issues with installing gapps.
I personnally use NikGapps, and I flash it through TWRP as LOS recovery usually doesn’t let me do it.

It was my understanding that Greenify is very much outdated and is not relevant to use since Android 10. In fact, I’ve even got to realize that apps such as Greenify, Naptime, Servicely actually drain more battery than they save on latest version of Android.
Using the built-in battery limitations option is the way as far as I’m concerned.

1 Like

New build for September is up.

Download

Downloads for : Fairphone Fairphone 4 | AndroidFileHost.com | Download GApps, Roms, Kernels, Themes, Firmware and more. Free file hosting for all Android developers.

sha256sum lineage-19.1-20220911-UNOFFICIAL-FP4.zip recovery-19.1-20220911-UNOFFICIAL-FP4.img 
272ab7ae2701ec1b0ce873e852343a8f8aec495d78ab08c5c39b2ab7d49b7dec  lineage-19.1-20220911-UNOFFICIAL-FP4.zip
bab283f20eadb3c33f295256cba6a43fd7fb84a74f630badd35be1ddd47dce0a  recovery-19.1-20220911-UNOFFICIAL-FP4.img
8 Likes

I opted for iodeOS 3.1 (installation quite similar to LOS), worked like a charm, besides the bootloader lock. But I can live with that anyhow.

What’s still very much awesome is Advanced Charging Controller (Magisk module). It lets you idle the battery and only use power from the cable so if you’ve got it connected you’re not actually using and wearing down the battery

@TeamB58 @mmustermann
Problem with this commit seems to be located in file ‘lineage-build-targets’ which should cause the merge conflict as it’s missing some phones already added in the official build but are (now) missing in the submitted patchfile (e.g. grus, instantnoodle, instantnoodlep). So the submitter of this patch has to do a ‘git rebase’ and submit an updated patchset to let this go through. Until that, it would stay forever in this state without being merged.

3 Likes

Well… @mmustermann 's builds are just as stable as can be so, as long as he keeps taking the time to share monthly updates, this works perfectly for me :wink:

Is there a changelog for the new builds? I might be looking in the wrong place but I don’t see any commits in the Github repos for the kernel or LOS for FP4 in the last month so I wasn’t expecting any changes?

The LineageOS base is changing constantly. The FP4 repos only contain the modifications needed to run LOS on the phone. They do not need to get updated as long as there are no device specific changes.

3 Likes

As for the merge request, the commit in question inserts one line each in two files.

Unless the project were to insist on a strictly linear history (which would sort of defeat the purpose of git over, say, SVN), this should not be a problem as long as the surrounding lines have not changed. If one branch adds a new line between, say, 42 and 43, and another inserts a line between 200 and 201, git is well capable of merging that. If, on the other hand, two branches each add a new line in the same position, and that line differs between branches, git cannot know what to do – take the line from just one branch (which?), or both lines (in what order?)?

While I have not figured out how to show the merge conflict in Gerrit, the current master branch does not seem to have any changes in the surrounding lines that would cause a merge conflict, and Github does not seem to have any history for that commit.

So where is the merge conflict here?

Unless the project were to insist on a strictly linear history (which would sort of defeat the purpose of git over, say, SVN), this should not be a problem as long as the surrounding lines have not changed.

And that’s what exactly happens with this commit in ‘lineage-build-targets’. As default for diffs for the LineageOS repository only -3/+3 lines before a code change needs to be equal. Gerrit code review only works like an additional layer between merge processes. Only users with a push certificate can make changes automatically in the external Github repositories, all others need to run through a manual review process, like in this case. And before this manual review was done, the file changed and is now causing a merge conflict.

As I stated before models like ‘grus’ are missing which is in the -3/+3 range. So the diff for this file couldn’t function against the current repository.

It now needs to look like this:

--- a/lineage-build-targets
+++ b/lineage-build-targets
@@ -37,6 +37,7 @@
 fajita userdebug lineage-19.1 W
 flame userdebug lineage-19.1 W
 FP3 userdebug lineage-19.1 W
+FP4 userdebug lineage-19.1 W
 gauguin userdebug lineage-19.1 W
 grus userdebug lineage-19.1 W
 gta4xl userdebug lineage-19.1 W

Instead of the original:

--- a/lineage-build-targets
+++ b/lineage-build-targets
@@ -37,6 +37,7 @@
 fajita userdebug lineage-19.1 W
 flame userdebug lineage-19.1 W
 FP3 userdebug lineage-19.1 W
+FP4 userdebug lineage-19.1 W
 gauguin userdebug lineage-19.1 W
 gta4xl userdebug lineage-19.1 W
 gta4xlwifi userdebug lineage-19.1 W

So without a new updated version of this file, the merge request will now stay in this state until it’s abandoned. :frowning_face:

Does the original author need to push that update or is it possible/helpful for someone else to?

Should we contact the original author ( Michael Bestas, mkbestas@lineag… ) with our findings on how to solve this conflict? :slight_smile:

1 Like