FP4 and (unofficial) LineageOS

Yeah, nobody else seems to know anything about it. I’ve disabled automatic system updates in the dev options and checking for updates shows me that there isn’t one so I’m hoping that’s enough for now.

From the name of your screenshot, where it indicates “Google Play Services”, it seems to me it’s an update of system components throught the google play (I may be wrong). Are you using GAppS on your LOS? In any case, it doesn’t seem a FPOS update to me, their update notifications don’t look like this.

1 Like

My FP4 arrived yesterday evening. Just tried Stock Android so far, there it works smoothly. If I mange to compile Lineage OS 18.1 with the patches I can compare it to that.

@samwein
It looks like some of the changes on the staging/lineage-19.0 branch could also be applied to lineage 18.1 . Do you know if WeAreFairphone stopped working on that?

I would much prefer stable lineage-18.1 for know. Android 12 looks a bit ugly, but don’t know if that was maybe improved for Lineage OS.

Maybe it makes also sense to pull updated vendor files from the FP3S.A.103 stock release. But I don’t know if much has changed there.

That’s comming from AOSP and I am not sure if the custom ROM builders can handle that…

I know that calyxOS, which is already currently based on A12, struggles extremely with the UI.
There is a lot of displeasure in the community that the UI colors cannot be customized because they are based on the wallpaper color. That the look is very playful. Etc…

I am glad that iodé is still based on A11 and I don’t have to deal with the A12 UI garbage.

I didn’t even notice the name, that’s helpful! I’m still getting the actual Fairphone “a new update is available” notifications but clicking on them doesn’t do anything so I think I should be safe. Not sure what gApps is trying to update, though. Guess I’ll see

Currently the developer effort is focused on getting 19 working. If you’d be interested in back-porting some of the changes this would definitely be appreciated. We don’t have the factory images for 103 yet, but again, would be quite happy if someone running stock wanted to upload the new components.

1 Like

I don’t think that’s the case. one of their builds have been mistakenly named “0.23-[bunch-of-numbers]-lineage”, and they even have some LOS-specific features (like Trust).

I’ve got that message too, but the update is blocked. I just have the update notification twice a day, but no more harm done.

Yes I was mistaken. It seems that all development for other Roms builds upon the /e/OS device tree.

I go the same result with my build like you did. Something seems to be missing. I can’t find that Iode release to compare the behaviour.

On stock Android automatic brightness works smoothly. Maybe we need to update vendor blobs from latest release.

from /e/ bug tracker that used to have the same issue:

Managed to figure out what was happening.
Calibration for the light sensors are being provided by the tctd binary which was dropped earlier. Incorporating this gives us sane lux readings and by extension sane readings for auto brightness.

once they’ve applied that fix it started working properly again.

Yes I have that fix on my branch. But I think I found the issue.

The fix updated proprietary-files.txt for tctd daemon. We need to re-extract vendor blobs because it’s not included in current dumps.

1 Like

Of course. Why didn’t I think about it… let us know if it worked :slight_smile:

I’ll give FPOS a new shot before switching back to LOS. Need to compare battery life with the latest FPOS

Yes with the patches and the correct blobs pulled from the stock image it is now working smoothless for me exactly like on latest Iodé.

I also pulled updated vendor blobs from the FP3S.A.103 release (some things did indeed change). Using the incremental OTA to patch the old images was a PITA but it worked in the end. Looking to upload those to Github soon.

1 Like

Wow that’s awesome ! I’m not 100% comfortable with github things, would you mind give us a hint on how to take advantage of what you did once you’ll have uploaded it ?

Did you use the official FPOS OTA or a iodé OTA ?

Used the official FPOS images and incremental OTA.

You will just have to edit the local manifest after I uploaded the vendor files to Github (probably tonight).

Didn’t do much testing with LOS so far. But had problems installing Open Gapps via LOS recovery. Sideloding worked without errors but seems to have no effect ( I did made sure to install it into the correct slot and reboot recovery after LOS install ). Maybe it’s another variant of this issue: Open GApps silently fails to install via Lineage recovery (#1894) · Issues · LineageOS / issues / android · GitLab

1 Like

Yeah had the some issue sideloading gapps too, though on my side I had the system partition too small error popping (even with pico package !), ended up embedding the pico gapps at build time following this guide. Worked flawlessly.

Latest vendor blobs are now available here: They can be used to get working auto brightness in LOS or other ROM builds.

This can be added to a local manifest like this:
<project name="xblax/android_vendor_fairphone_FP4" path="vendor/fairphone/FP4" revision="lineage-18.1" remote="github" />

Delete existing vendor/fairphone/FP4 folder before sync.

5 Likes

Hi all,
received my FP4 last week. Encouraged by samwein’s post I compiled LOS 19.1 and wanted to share my observations.

Roomservice.xml
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<manifest>
  <!-- Grab device and kernel trees from WeAreFairphone -->
  <project name="WeAreFairphone/android_device_fairphone_FP4" path="device/fairphone/FP4" revision="staging/lineage-19.0" remote="github" />
  <project name="WeAreFairphone/android_kernel_fairphone_sm7225" path="kernel/fairphone/sm7225" revision="staging/lineage-19.0" remote="github" />
  <!-- unsure if/why we need this one -->
  <project name="LineageOS/android_external_bson" path="external/bson" remote="github" />
  <!-- grab the modified blobs from Fairblobs, note that extracting blobs from an Android 11 image doesnt work -->
  <project name="xblax/android_vendor_fairphone_FP4" path="vendor/fairphone/FP4" revision="lineage-18.1" remote="github" />
  <!-- mods for the display need to be grabbed -->
  <remove-project name="LineageOS/android_hardware_qcom_display"/>
  <project name="poshul/android_hardware_qcom_display" path="hardware/qcom-caf/sm8250/display" remote="github" revision="lineage-19.0-caf-sm8250"/>
</manifest>

So far I have tested the following things:

• Wifi: works
  • NFC: works
  • GPS: works
  • Bluetooth: works with my Sony headphones, but cannot send/receive files with my PC/smartphone.
  • Camera: not working, app crashes
Logs

Fastupload.io — BluetoothFileReceiveLog.txt
Fastupload.io — CameraLog.txt

I would like to help get LOS 19.1 up and running. Is there a channel where development is coordinated?

2 Likes

Interesting, thanks for your feedback.

I trust you had to install it from FPOS as if I understand correctly it cannot be installed from LOS 18 ?

What’s your general feeling of the OS ? Is it smooth ?
As for the camera does any third party app fails ?

Oh and welcome by the way :relaxed:

Thank you for the warm welcome :hugs:

It was a fresh install. Booted the LOS 19.1 recovery, did a factory reset and sideloaded the LOS 19.1 zip. The upgrade path from LOS 18 to 19 was not tested.

Apart from the issues mentioned, it runs very smooth and is stable. I have not experienced random reboots yet. The battery life also seems to be okay. I have not yet inserted a SIM Card, but will do so and test it in the next few days.

The camera seems to be not recognized at all. Open Camera from F-Droid doesn’t find one.

2 Likes