FP4 and (unofficial) LineageOS

as @Stanzi said, the point of many custom ROMs is to get rid of gapps and other bundled bloatware.

but it doesn’t mean that you must lose that choice: you still have the option to install gapps alongside any custom ROM (using eg. TWRP)

see https://opengapps.org/

1 Like

I think that’s not true, because when MicroG is integrated and you cannot deinstall or at least disable, installing GApps will bring you trouble

• So if I am capable to build my own LOS, then it’s likely I can build a new one on each update and installed it over the current on without wiping? I think I will go this path

yes, you just need to sign your builds using the default test keys (which is insecure since anyone has access to the private key) or generate your own build keys and use them for every subsequent build (cf. Signing Builds | LineageOS Wiki and تابلوهای ساخت برای انتشار  |  Android Open Source Project)

Can you tell again when I would need to relock my device? Because why, if this is a risk? Because it is a security issue if I loose the phone?

https://madaidans-insecurities.github.io/android.html

• What is the best and most secure way to access the binary files? Or do I misunderstood that I dont need this for the phone?

it only needs to be done once. you can do it either using your own live device after rooting it, or you can extract them from another ROM. there are also repositories on github with the files already extracted (I’ve put mine here and another one is here)

2 Likes

I use custom roms to get rid of bloatware (and in case of the FP4 I also need it because the stock OS doesn’t like my SD card…). I already tried installing gApps on e/os and that doesn’t really work. There’s always something that doesn’t work when the OS has integrated microG

1 Like

Absolutely :rofl::joy:

This is the same as if you wanted to put four more tires on a car with four tires.

So this happens because of proprietary gapps only?

This is the message:

WOW !

By any chance, would anyone know how to take advantage on this breakthrough made with iodé to implement it on LOS build ?

It seems that iodéOS doesn’t have their source code published yet. But I assume they are building upon the /e/OS device tree and just applied their patch from earlier this month: e / devices / android_device_fairphone_FP4 · GitLab

I guess that could be ported over for LOS.

Interestingly /e/OS seems to be developed completely independently from LineageOS and CalyxOS. But there seems to be mostly LineageOS 19 / Android 12 development going on in their repos.

I have a FP4 coming to me this week. I would rather prefer to have a stable LOS 18.1 for now. Is anybody working on this or is the current focus on LOS 19?

How good are the current unofficial LineageOS 18.1 builds - are they already stable enough for daily use? I would probably prefer to use it in combination with OpenGApps pico (no MicroG).

1 Like

Interesting indeed, though I would have not idea how to port this.

I don’t know about LOS 19 but there hasn’t been a single commit in 2 month on LOS 18.1 repo.

I’ve personnaly been using my custom built 18.1 with pico Gapps embedded as a daily driver for a bit more than a month now. I wouldn’t say it’s totally bug free but it’s smooth and stable enough to me. Most annoying thing is indeed the “half-broken” automatic brightness issue, had to swith to manual mode otherwise you will get your battery drained.

Can you substantiate this statement? Or is it pure speculation?

Thanks, I’m looking to try this out as well.

It’s just speculation. It might also just be coincidence. Anyway if /e/OS managed to fixed it and since the fix is public it should be possible to get it working for LOS as well.

iodé has a link to their device tree on XDA but the repo is missing in their Gitlab. Maybe they just forgot to push it.

Now Iodé repository is public too after I pointed it out on XDA :sunglasses:

Didn’t notice that WeAreFairphone/android_device_fairphone_FP4 is actually based on the /e/OS repo too. But yes, they apparently applied the fix from /e/OS on top.

Maybe some of the commits to LOS 19 staging branch can be ported for 18.1 too …

3 Likes

Nice !
Seems like brightness fix is done here.
Will try a stupid copypasta to my LOS file and build… who knows, might as well be this simple !

@Aaanze:

I think that the last 4 commits from Iodé are all required to fix automatic brightness.

Best would probably be to fork it on github, merge with the Iodé changes and send a pull request for the original LineageOS development branch. Maybe I can do this when I try to build it myself.

2 Likes

OMG - that scares me… but you seem the only one that happens this to, right?

I did not see an answer to this message, so some comments from an FP2 user who is thinking of getting an FP4 and would like to have LOS on it as well.

I think this was already answered.
Hard to tell, but probably a possible way to go (for now … as long as there is no official LOS).

I use AFWall+ as well and it needs root to update the rules.
So yes you would need Magisk (standard to root these days), if you want to use it.
Maybe you want to read this discussion about locking/unlocking the bootloader?: https://www.reddit.com/r/LineageOS/comments/n7yo7u/a_discussion_about_bootloader_lockingunlocking/

I don’t think that you need any binaries or proprietary blobs to get a working phone (without gapps).
Normally just:

• the LOS recovery
  • the LOS build
  • Magisk

Hi Folks,
An update on progress. We’ve been working on the 19 release. As some people have noticed, a 18.1 branch based off of the /e/ work is on github, the 19 release is not based on this code and has been a bit more of a challenge. If you are feeling brave, the code is available on weAreFairphone under the staging/lineage-19.0 branches. NB: Upgrading from 18.1 is very much not working now, it will leave the phone in the bootloader. I’ve had luck building the whole thing and just flashing the partitions from the bootloader (NOT fastbootd), but its super finicky. If that doesn’t dissuade anyone I’ve been successfully building based with the following in my local_manifests:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<manifest>
  <!-- Grab device and kernel trees from WeAreFairphone -->
  <project name="WeAreFairphone/android_device_fairphone_FP4" path="device/fairphone/FP4" revision="staging/lineage-19.0" remote="github" />
  <project name="WeAreFairphone/android_kernel_fairphone_sm7225" path="kernel/fairphone/sm7225" revision="staging/lineage-19.0" remote="github" />
  <!-- unsure if/why we need this one -->
  <project name="LineageOS/android_external_bson" path="external/bson" remote="github" />
  <!-- grab the modified blobs from Fairblobs, note that extracting blobs from an Android 11 image doesnt work -->
  <project name="Fairblobs/proprietary_vendor_fairphone" path="vendor/fairphone" remote="github" revision="staging/lineage-19.0"/>
  <!-- mods for the display need to be grabbed -->
  <remove-project name="LineageOS/android_hardware_qcom_display"/>
  <project name="poshul/android_hardware_qcom_display" path="hardware/qcom-caf/sm8250/display" remote="github" revision="lineage-19.0-caf-sm8250"/>
  <!-- pull all the microg prebuilts -->
  <project name="poshul/android_vendor_partner_gms" path="vendor/partner_gms" remote="github" revision="master" />
</manifest>
12 Likes

I merged the commited files with mine and ended up with a partially working auto-brightness. I mean it does change depending on light, however it only switches between 2 values, something that looks like “20% or 90%”.

I’d be curious to know if it behaves the same way on iodé ?

Edit: it’s actually more broken than working, at some level of light it won’t stop switching between 20% ↔ 90% brightness. So yeah, not great. I’ll check on iodé repo if I missed something

No
Everything in between