FP4 and (unofficial) LineageOS

Yes, I’m running it currently…
So far I did not notice any issue, it’s pretty smooth.
Only thing is for some reason (apparently system partition too small), I wasn’t able to flash openGapps, so if you count on using Google services, think twice before flashing it as there is no way back for now.
I will try to make another build with pico Gapps bundled and see how it goes.

2 Likes

That’s great news.
Would it be possible for you to share your ROM?
I don’t mind the no-Gapps restriction, not wanting anything to do with google is precisely the reason why I’m refusing to even use my FP4 with stock android.

1 Like

Sure why not.
You will flash this at your own risk though :smiley:

You will need:

INSTALLATION STEPS:

1. Reboot to bootloader

adb reboot bootloader

2. Flash Lineage recovery:

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

3. Reboot to recovery.
If stock recovery boots instead (happened to me at first) just go back to bootloader and run:

fastboot boot recovery.img

4. In recovery: wipe data / Factory Reset - there’s no way back to FPOS (for now) after this

5. Still in recovery: Apply Update → ADB Sideload → Install from ADB and run:

adb sideload name_of_the_lineage_file.zip

6. Attempting to flash GApps will probably fail due to lack of space on system partition (although nothing prevents you from trying if you want to give a shot, please report if it worked)

7. Do not flash Magisk as it will throw you into a bootloop. You will be able to root the old way later like this:

a. Downloading boot.img on your device
b. Installing Magisk apk
c. Patch the boot.img with Magisk
d. Copy the patched file on your computer
e. Reboot fastboot and fastboot boot your_patched_boot.img
f. Open Magisk and run installation
g. Reboot

8. I “THINK” you should reboot bootloader before boot and run (untested):

fastboot erase metadata

I didn’t do it and have a “E: couldn’t mount metadata” error everytime I try to flash something in recovery, though it doesn’t prevent lineage installation.
It appears to be the last instruction in /e/ OS installation procedure.
If you run this command please report :blush:

That’s about it. I only ever built 2 ROMS and they are both iterations of this very one which gives you an idea of my level of expertise. Bottom line: don’t expect high end support (I’ll do my best though). I find myself constantly asking for help around here :smiley:

12 Likes

Hey @dk1978 ! Thank you for the info. I know, asking for ETA is ugly, but could you please give a some info on what is the show stopper at the moment, so that we can get a feeling if we try @Aaanze 's build (and do a fresh installation if official LOS comes available) or if we should wait another few days (or weeks)? Is there anything a non-developer can help you with? Shall we donate to team LOS or do you Fairphone guys have a donation page?

Best and fair regards! :slight_smile: :heart:

I have a device ready and happy to start testing, I did not really even bother to start setting it up, as in the current state without de-google-ing it has no use for me, so no need to worry about data lost and etc, of course I don’t want to brick it, and of course I prefer to build the release myself, or at least able to validate the hash, but if you need more testing, count me in.

Would be awesome to get it on the officially supported device list. :crossed_fingers:

Yes, no ETA from my side. There is no show stopper unless you consider limited free time to work on the stuff as a volunteer. Not much you can do about it either, unless you want to become an Android dev.
That being said, you might get away with running an unofficial build and upgrading to official later without losing data. No guarantees whatsoever - but that has worked in the past for 17.1 and 18.1.

4 Likes

Great work @Aaanze, I just flashed your pico build and first impressions are good.
Am able to install apps from the Play Store, will have to test location quality later.
I did not do the fastboot erase metadata and also did not install magisk.
Thanks for creating this build!

4 Likes

Wow awesome ! Thank you so much for testing and reporting, I was actually just going to flash the pico gapps version myself as I definitely can’t stand the “degraded” maps performances.

1 Like

4. Wipe data - there’s no way back to FPOS (for now) after this

5. Install Update → Install from ADB and run:

adb sideload name_of_the_lineage_file.zip

What am I supposed to do here? When I boot into the LOS recovery I can’t use any adb commands (adb: sideload connection failed: device unauthorized.). And the only way to wipe data from the recovery is factory reset but after that USB debugging is disabled. Am I doing something wrong?

You should be able to perform a factory reset or data wipe from within the recovery. After you’ve done that, you select “Apply Update” and then “Apply from ADB” or something similar.

3 Likes

Thank you, that worked

Edit: Finished the installation (with gapps), right now everything seems to work.

1 Like

Sorry about approximate instructions, I updated those ones, hopefully to be more understandable :slight_smile: Glad it worked !

1 Like

Did you already try apps that depend on Play Services (like Whatsapp backup or Google Drive)? It says “Your device does not support Play Services” for me

Hmm I’m running Google maps without any issue, drive is flawless too.

I did erase metadata partition in the installation process but I can’t see how this would be of any effect on play services

Yeah drive itself is working but apps depending on drive for backups can’t access it and just say “can’t run without play services”. Downloading a play services installer didn’t work and the play service info app says that play services are installed.

You shouldn’t have to install play services, it’s embedded with the ROM.

You did flash the correct ROM with gApps ? Did you have a the play store installed when you first booted ?

Yes to both. The installer also told me that play services are already installed but the apps I’m trying to set up don’t seem to care about that.

There’s something that went wrong with your installation then…
WhatsApp backup with drive is fine here

I would suggest try all over again and not forget to wipe everything. After the first factory reset, before flashing the ROM, go back to bootloader and run > fastboor erase metadata then back to recovery and sideload the ROM.

Reinstalled, same problems. Whatsapp is a weird exception because it can’t restore any backups but it can create new ones but I still get the same error message everywhere else.

Could you try it with this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.daylio&hl=en_US&gl=US ? When I go to settings/backup I get the error

Hmm went fine: