FP4 and (unofficial) LineageOS

Hello @samwein!

I’m very happy that there are already people who want to develop a LOS port for the FP4. I’ve been using LOS15 on my FP2 for three years and I’m going to get an FP4 soon.

I’d be super interested in helping you to develop the port. I’ve just started my Masters degree in Software Engineering, and although I have never done any Android development whatsoever, I think that it can’t be too hard. Let me know if you want some help :slight_smile:

13 Likes

@samwein, @dk1978
thank you so much for taking this initiative, I’m happy to finally see some positive notes about the FP4.

I have nothing to add to this project beside my appreciation for you and everyone who assists you with it.

7 Likes

I’d love to see a LineageOS (for MicroG) port for the Fairphone 4, all other OSes are nothing I’d take into consideration before switching to a FP4 in the future.

Yup, it is written right there. I somehow missed it looking through documents. Cheers!

1 Like

I’ve been using LOS on my FP2 for as long as it was available… and will be switching to a FP4 asap. (@Stanzi : join the club)… I cannot develop ASAP but will be avaliable for testing and/or cheerleading.

4 Likes

I’m also volunteer to help when I’ll receive my future FP4.
Like @Friek I’m using LOS as a daily driver on my FP2 and I’m satisfied with it :slight_smile:

@samwein and @dk1978: Perhaps the work that @z3ntu already did for PostmarketOS can help you to already clearly identify the device tree?
On this topic you can find a link to z3ntu’s FP4 contribution on PostmarketOS gitlab and on mainline Linux Kernel. :smiley:

8 Likes

There will be e/OS/ for the FP4, why not take this? e/OS/ has even the better reputation as LOS (I personnally have never used LOS but e/OS/ for years now):

2 different stories and user preferences. Everyone is free to choose what one needs

8 Likes

I think that the users having options is important. I personally run a home-built LOS with MicroG. As far as I can tell /e/ has not made public any of the work that they have done on the FP4 yet. When they do make available any of that work I would be happy to work with them as well.

1 Like

I really really dislike e/ and it’s cloud approach and also some of the default apps. LineageOS is the way to got for me.

3 Likes
1 Like

I never used their cloud - you can ignore it without any problems.

3 Likes

Am I missing something on here? I just see the announcement that the OS will be provided not any code / device tree / kernel. Though as I demonstrated above I definitely have the capacity to overlook things right in front of my face.

Of course it’s just an assumption from my side but for the FP3 the /e/ device specific stuff is here devices · GitLab and I assume that similar sources will get released for the FP4 as well (at some point).

Thank you @Ingo , I was searching the same gitlab repository :wink:

Why is there nothing about FP2 there? :thinking: Is it because they directly imported device and kernel from LOS?

This thread is for LOS. Stop hijacking it for /e/.

@samwein are there any repos for FP4 to try to build? :smiley:

8 Likes

/e/ (formerly Eelo) is a free and open-source Android-based mobile operating system and associated online services. The operating system is a fork of LineageOS and Android.

Source: /e/ (operating system) - Wikipedia

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

No repos yet. I’ll update y’all when we have them.

As for LOS, I find it to be quite polished. I run it with MicroG, which adds a few hiccups, but I find 90+% of things worked out of the box. I think as the pace of innovation in the mobile space has slowed somewhat FOSS solutions have been able to catch up. The one thing I do miss is the OEM camera support, the camera app in LOS can’t take advantage of OEM specific camera features.

3 Likes

Ok, cool. Shipping starts on the 8th of November :smiley:

As for the camera, have you tried Nikita’s NGCam?