FP4 and (unofficial) LineageOS

I mean it dose look like fairphone has put work into porting lineageOS but I doubt it is the top of their list when launching a new phone

1 Like

An economic interest. /e/ is trying to make money and has employees who work on the port full-time I assume. LOS being developed purely by enthusiasts atm.

4 Likes

Fairphone is not putting work into porting LOS this is still a community effort done by samwein, dk1978 and others, as indicated in this thread

7 Likes

My bad, yeah… I should have checked that… just threw me it being in fairphone repo

2 Likes

It’s not the Fairphone repo. It’s the WeAreFairphone repo. WeAreFairphone is a term used by the FP community to describe itself.

13 Likes

It looks like the Murena Fairphone 4 from the /e/ people started to ship today. Have they already released the source code of the android version that shipped with the phones? I couldn’t find it on their gitlab and although LineageOS’s Apache license allows for proprietary derivatives, they do claim /e/os is open-source so it’s probably in their interest to publish their changes.

8 Likes

Hi all, Quick question.

I have just received my new FP4.
I currently run LineageOS on another phone, so I would like to run LineageOS on the FP4 too.
I see messages that LineageOS is still in the works, some messages mentioning half to end of January.
Does anybody have a rough idea when Lineage OS will be available for the FP4? I do not need an exact date, but a rough estimate would be nice. Are we talking about weeks, months or longer?
(I am in no hurry, so I do can wait for some time if needed)

Kr.

1 Like

In a few weeks or so…maybe.
Nobody know it, actually

1 Like

Hi Hulk, (is this because you bought the green model of the FP ? :slight_smile: )

OK, I can live with that. Thx!

Kr.

1 Like

It seems /e/ sources are now published: e / devices / Fairphone 4 / android_device_fairphone_FP4 · GitLab

9 Likes

And also /e/ ROM :wink:
https://doc.e.foundation/devices/FP4/install
https://images.ecloud.global/stable/FP4/

4 Likes

U can use iodeOS

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: FP4 - Rollout of the very privacy-friendly custom ROM iodéOS has started as Beta

We are working on it. You can already compile LineageOS for FP4 yourself if you have a device to pull blobs from:

17 Likes

Hi! first thank you for the hard work.

Could you provide a quick status on device support completion ? (ie. what works / doesn’t work, any known quirks, what’s left to do, anything you’d need help for…)

I’ve been eagerly watching your repo for a few weeks, but before taking the time to try my own build, I’d like to know if it can produce something in a usable state for me at this point.

btw, are there any special build instructions besides what can be found on LOS’s wiki ?
do you have another communication channel besides this forum to discuss LOS development on FP4 ? (most other devices have dedicated sections on xda forums, but I can’t find anything about FP4 there, except a few general threads from people asking the same questions…)

4 Likes

I have managed to build it myself and @Aaanze seems to be running it on his Fairphone 4. You can read more about how we figured out how to build it here and here.

3 Likes

oh great thanks! did someone actually try to install it ? :smiley:

Yes, I’m running it currently…
So far I did not notice any issue, it’s pretty smooth.
Only thing is for some reason (apparently system partition too small), I wasn’t able to flash openGapps, so if you count on using Google services, think twice before flashing it as there is no way back for now.
I will try to make another build with pico Gapps bundled and see how it goes.

2 Likes

That’s great news.
Would it be possible for you to share your ROM?
I don’t mind the no-Gapps restriction, not wanting anything to do with google is precisely the reason why I’m refusing to even use my FP4 with stock android.

1 Like

Sure why not.
You will flash this at your own risk though :smiley:

You will need:

INSTALLATION STEPS:

1. Reboot to bootloader

adb reboot bootloader

2. Flash Lineage recovery:

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

3. Reboot to recovery.
If stock recovery boots instead (happened to me at first) just go back to bootloader and run:

fastboot boot recovery.img

4. In recovery: wipe data / Factory Reset - there’s no way back to FPOS (for now) after this

5. Still in recovery: Apply Update → ADB Sideload → Install from ADB and run:

adb sideload name_of_the_lineage_file.zip

6. Attempting to flash GApps will probably fail due to lack of space on system partition (although nothing prevents you from trying if you want to give a shot, please report if it worked)

7. Do not flash Magisk as it will throw you into a bootloop. You will be able to root the old way later like this:

a. Downloading boot.img on your device
b. Installing Magisk apk
c. Patch the boot.img with Magisk
d. Copy the patched file on your computer
e. Reboot fastboot and fastboot boot your_patched_boot.img
f. Open Magisk and run installation
g. Reboot

8. I “THINK” you should reboot bootloader before boot and run (untested):

fastboot erase metadata

I didn’t do it and have a “E: couldn’t mount metadata” error everytime I try to flash something in recovery, though it doesn’t prevent lineage installation.
It appears to be the last instruction in /e/ OS installation procedure.
If you run this command please report :blush:

That’s about it. I only ever built 2 ROMS and they are both iterations of this very one which gives you an idea of my level of expertise. Bottom line: don’t expect high end support (I’ll do my best though). I find myself constantly asking for help around here :smiley:

12 Likes