FP4 and (unofficial) LineageOS

Usually not, because your data is stored on a seperate parition. Modifying the boot partition leaves the data partition untouched. But it is always a good idea to have a working backup!

1 Like

Thanks, trying to patch you .zip tells me that something failed. Then I realized I need the boot.img. but where do I find yours? it’s neither the .zip and the recovery.img from you right?

You can use a tool like payload-dumper-go to extraxt the partitions (including boot) from the files in lineage-19.1-20220511-UNOFFICIAL-FP4.zip.
I’ve uploaded you a patched boot.img, just install the Magisk app and follow the usual instructions:

4 Likes

Thanks! Would you mind to explain the steps, how to run the tool. The read me does not explain. I know how to clone and that I need to install Go.

Sure :slightly_smiling_face: You can download prebuilt binaries for your architecture from the github releases, no need to install Go. If you are on an Arch based distro, it’s also in the AUR (but then what isn’t :smirk:).

Extract lineage-19.1-20220511-UNOFFICIAL-FP4.zip first, you’ll find the payload.bin file in there we’re interested in.
If you’ve downloaded payload-dumper-go manually, just extract, it open your terminal where you extracted it to and run it with ./payload-dumper-go path/to/payload.bin and it will create an folder extracted_$date_$time in the current directory.

2 Likes

If you struggle with the payload-dumper I’d suggest you go with the first suggestion from @hirnsushi as it doesn’t require you to run any kind of tool:

1. Install Magisk app on your device

2. Download the LOS patched boot.img

3. Follow these instructions:

2 Likes

Just to mention an alternative method I successfully used to have boot.img, is to (one-time-) boot to TWRP and backup the boot partition on the external SD card.

Internal memory is not currently available with TWRP-for-FP4 because of decryption incompatibilities, but boot partition is not encrypted so can be backed up :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is the way back to original also possible?

Back to original FPOS? → https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/articles/4405858261777
Back to an unrooted phone? Just press :wastebasket: Uninstall Magisk in the Magisk app.

3 Likes

I updated my description with you points @hirnsushi

However, I delete the last point fastboot erase metadata. After that the LOS was corrupted :confused: I will not do it with the new attempt. So is it badly required?

Would be great if you give my summary another review. FP4 and LineageOS - #255 by echo1

Cheers

CC: @Aaanze @mmustermann

1 Like

That sounds about correct :slight_smile:
Did you manage to successfully root your device ?

Yes - AFWall+, XPrivacy, AdAway work like a charme. After 7 years a new phone with LineageOS <3 - another 7 and more on the road :slight_smile:
I owe you folks, let me know how if applicable. My offer is still valid! :smiley:

3 Likes

New build with security patches of June is up.

Download

Downloads for : Fairphone Fairphone 4 | AndroidFileHost.com | Download GApps, Roms, Kernels, Themes, Firmware and more. Free file hosting for all Android developers.

363cc765fd069e149e8f618b98796c79a1b014ab13c95bfad7fa04cfd1ad846f  recovery-19.1-20220611-UNOFFICIAL-FP4.img
8a7f04657b5e52c054fbe3b093ffaf8140b03eb5c4786005bcd3675697b5991f  lineage-19.1-20220611-UNOFFICIAL-FP4.zip

@echo1
Please let us know if your root survives the update.

2 Likes

Install went great, no root also installed MindTheGApps and that worked fine. Just had to make sure I was in Lineageos Recovery. Nothing wrong so far.

1 Like

Everything works? And if not there is a way back right? I want to try…

I really want to try but step 4 scares me a little. Is there no way back to stock os? Or I don’t understand it well?

It was not possible at the time of writing those instructions (I guess), now it’s definitively possible to revert to stock OS :slight_smile:

General advice if you try other OS: just be careful with relocking bootloader (don’t relock it OR check before that get_unlock_ability = 1 )

1 Like

I had issues reverting to stock, but using a super old adb/fastboot utility was able to wipe and reinstall stock. If you don’t know what you’re doing I’d advice against it, as it seems pretty easy to brick the Fairphone 4, from my personal experience.

@mmustermann I assume flashing the new build is the same procedure without factory reset (to save personal data)? Or is there something I need to consider?

So basically:
→ Flash Lineage recovery & Reboot to recovery
→ adb sideload
→ Rooting process again

@echo1 No need to flash the new recovery. Just boot into recovery and adb sideload the new build. Rooting process should be the same.