FP4 and (unofficial) LineageOS

Thank you @Ingo , I was searching the same gitlab repository :wink:

Why is there nothing about FP2 there? :thinking: Is it because they directly imported device and kernel from LOS?

This thread is for LOS. Stop hijacking it for /e/.

@samwein are there any repos for FP4 to try to build? :smiley:

8 Likes

/e/ (formerly Eelo) is a free and open-source Android-based mobile operating system and associated online services. The operating system is a fork of LineageOS and Android.

Source: /e/ (operating system) - Wikipedia

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

No repos yet. I’ll update y’all when we have them.

As for LOS, I find it to be quite polished. I run it with MicroG, which adds a few hiccups, but I find 90+% of things worked out of the box. I think as the pace of innovation in the mobile space has slowed somewhat FOSS solutions have been able to catch up. The one thing I do miss is the OEM camera support, the camera app in LOS can’t take advantage of OEM specific camera features.

3 Likes

Ok, cool. Shipping starts on the 8th of November :smiley:

As for the camera, have you tried Nikita’s NGCam?

(post deleted by author)

Olé !

10 Likes

There is no repo yet for the FP4 on LineageOS · GitHub.

Could take some more time. At least a minimum of two months I believe.

3 Likes

IIRC it took more than two years for the FP2 and one year for the FP3, so two months would be lightning speed :star_struck:

7 Likes

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

Hi @samwein @dk1978 ,
I will probably receive my FP4 (6 GB) tomorrow, and I’m really interested in getting LineageOS running and official for it ASAP.
Therefore, I would also like to contribute and would like to know if anything changed in terms of your current state (from reading this thread).
I’ve started already a bit researching what needs to be done from the LineageOS wiki perspective, but still feel a bit lost about where to start.
I’ve never built LineageOS for a device myself, as so far I was lucky that my current phone was always officially supported, but I’m having a general technical background from working in IT which might help.

Do you have any concrete hints or actions to start with?

9 Likes

Ok, one small update already:
I didn’t get the phone but the case and screen protector… I didn’t check the order number on my shipping notification.

But still willing to do this :smiley:

3 Likes

I’d love to see a LineageOS port for the Fairphone 4 too. :grinning:

2 Likes

The kernel sources are released and they are already building:

I’m trying to build rn.
I have a device but tbh. I’m scared to try to flash it.
It’s probably very possible to brick it? :slight_smile:
And I have no real experience with this topic this deep inside.

I’d love to have someone explain a thing or two to me in a discord or so :))

1 Like

Hope your build succeeded!

I probably know less than you about all this stuff, but as pointed out earlier in this thread, I’m more than happy to help and eager to learn!

If you want to share your learnings already, I would be also open for a call or something :smiley:

1 Like

Got a successful build.
If I get one person that knows a little bit more than we both probably do I’ll let people know.
As I have no real clue how to approach the next steps rn. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Same, if I can help please let me know! :slight_smile:
Btw, I do have the phone already!

Hey, I’d love to get in touch. I’ll be getting my Fp4 on Monday, and I’m kinda out of my league trying to build LOS by myself. However, i don’t ever want to install and use my personal apps on a phone that is contaminated with google services, so even if there isn’t a stable LOS version for the FP4 yet, i’d rather take my chances with a buggy, glitchy, unstable ROM. So if you’ve got a successful build, i’d love to test it.

1 Like