FP3: Updates strategy?

Only over at Google, Fairphone does not (yet) have a version history for the FP3 AFAIK.

2 Likes

That would be very useful or interesting and hopefully we could have it in the “near” future.
Thank you.

1 Like

It’s referred to as staged rollout. I read a good explanation about it recently, unfortunately I can’t recall where (it might have very well been here on the forum though). Maybe this helps though: Google engineer explains how Android updates roll out and why you shouldn’t force them

Since G00gle still tells me, that I am up to date with patch level December 2019: Does anyone know, if this might be due to having revoked plenty of permissions from G00gle components and having deactivated plenty of their apps via adb? Which app is responsible for updating the OS?

Btw: If I’d have an OS installed on my computer, where the OS maintainer (or manufacturer of the hardware, even better) decides if and when it’s an appropriate time for installing security related updates, I’d delete it INSTANTLY. Seriously. :man_facepalming:

It seems that you already did this effectively by

having revoked plenty of permissions from G00gle components and having deactivated plenty of their apps via adb

But frankly - you should not complain about no longer receiving updates then.

Hm, I don’t see it that way since I am not revoking permissions or deactivating apps blindly. But on the other hand you’re also right, it would fit into their politics of removing more and more control from the user: You want updates? Ok, but then we need a copy of your ID-card and your bank account data. :crazy_face: Just kidding.

Two things come to mind (though there are probably more):

• The download manager (com.android.providers.downloads) needs to be active and have permission to access the internet
  • Google domains need to be accessible, as the updates are provided via google infrastructure.

In addition, there is some weirdness where users of e.g. Orange SIMs use a different update channel. Removing the SIM card, or switching data to a non-Orange SIM forces the phone to check for updates in the ‘normal’ place.

There’s two things: When the update is shown to the user, and how/when the update is installed. Variations in the first are very common (at least in Android, Apple, Microsoft), the second is less common (though Windows at some point did force updates on users). Staged roll-outs (i.e. variations in the first) are becoming more common as an extra safety check that the update doesn’t have unintended consequences. My understanding is that hotfixes (by which I mean fixes for problems for which there is an active exploit) are still released as quickly as possible, though I have no evidence for this. Some see the first stage receivers of staged roll out as being advantaged, others see it as them being guinea pigs. In my view, an opt-in model for early access and/or a way to manually ‘jump the queue’ would be good.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation, Johannes, I will double check. I absolutely agree that an opt-in model for getting updates earlier would be good.

1 Like

“Does anyone know, if this might be due to having revoked plenty of permissions from G00gle components and having deactivated plenty of their apps via adb?”

I wouldn’t think so, since I haven’t deactivated anything or revoked permissions, and I still didn’t get the January upgrade or any new security patch since December. And my phone says I am completely up to date

1 Like

Thanks, RuthiB, for that valuable feedback. That’s good to know, so probably we just have to wait longer :roll_eyes:

1 Like

My FP3 received today the Update from February 2020.
I think that could be more that 1 month later aproximatetly
Please, is this delay normal?
Thank you.

It should not be normal, but it can happen in the process if testing before the rollout shows some stuff not working as it should.
Nobody wants an update which perhaps breaks stuff.

Problem is … we don’t know details. On the Fairphone 2 there was an open beta testing program users could take part in and help determining and see possible trouble with an update in development.
We don’t have that currently on the Fairphone 3.

Ok, thanks.

Today’s Update is from February 5th, 2020 with the Software FP3 A.0111 und size 84.6 MB.
I hope it should be stable, let’s see the experience next days.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.