FP3+ randomly crashes. Works again, if I remove and put back the battery

Since yesterday, my Fairphone 3+ (I upgraded it myself) randomly blacks out/switches off on a 2 hour basis. I can only switch it on again if I remove the battery first, and then put it back.
It shows no sign of life during/after the crashes. I get no feedback like vibrations if I press the power button, so I assume it is not the display.
The battery itself seems to be fine, same level of energy after the crash, the measured voltage seems to be fine.

How can I debug it?

Ps: I did not change/update the software for at least 3 months, so I would exclude software issues.

The few options i would check are
a) ensure i don’t have an SD card formatted as internal
b) try starting in safe mode and see how that is after a few hours
c) dismantle the phone more completely
d) contact official support
e) contact a #fairphoneangel
f) do a factory reset

3 Likes

Additionally,

• try removing the SD card completely (if any)
  • remove SIM, clean contacts and put back

The factory reset (if you get that far) will delete all data so make sure you have a backup (which you should have anyway of course).

2 Likes

As others mentioned. Bad connections can cause issues. Disassemble, clean every connection (Deoxit spray or similar), reconnect and see if this helps. If not then you most likely have a faulty mainboard (RAM faults cause random crashes).

I would not use Deoxit. It is more for heavier electrical work and is likely to be too corrosive for a phone.

Read up on it. The company do make one for gold contacts but still I wouldn’t use it.

Usually it is a spray that can get it’s way into the modules - not beneficial at all.

If you see problems with contacts clean them individualy with an ear bud soaked in min of 60% alcohol. Well overproof pure spirit or isopropyl alcohol which can be 90% to 96% .

3 Likes

Have you tried keeping the power button pressed for 10 seconds? This should do a forced reboot whatever the state the phone is in.

Software issues can also be due to apps, so as said higher try starting in #dic:safemode for a few hours.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.