FP3: Pixel camera app / Google Camera Port

I don’t have that issue neither with automatic rotation or manual.
Have you a FP3+ or FP3 and new modules ?

@Namu, is your FP3+ review published somewhere? If so, might be nice to add it to the topic below

2 Likes

Yes, I published it yesterday on my blog and on my mobile provider site. Both are in French though.

https://emmanuel.bedrune.fr/blog/2020/09/test-du-fairphone-3/

I added the links to the curated list :slight_smile: (I didn’t think I was able to, so I didn’t do it earlier)

5 Likes

And here are two shots taken with the new module, the first with the stock camera (automatic scene detection, flash off, auto HDR) and the second with nikita’s port of the 7.4 Google Camera app (flash off, Google AWB, HDR+ on). Both are pretty much what I would have expected with the old camera. Even the brighter parts of the stock camera image are so noisy that I expect it will be clearly visible in the version downsized by the forum software.

Edit: the GCam version was not downsized by the software, I guess because its filesize was smaller to begin with. Less noise makes images easier to compress…

Another edit: losslessly cropped, non-shrinked version of the stock camera photo here.

2 Likes

The new cameras arrived yesterday and I’ll try Nikita’s latest revision NGCam_7.4.104-v1.6.apk for now. (…) This port seems to be missing some Google standard features, though. I can’t find a way to enable motion pictures, for instance.
And Fairphone’s updated standard app has some neat new features as well like object tracking that I couldn’t find on any GCam port yet. Have you?

After having messed around with a few other ports, Nikita’s 7.4 port started crashing when trying to save frontcam pics. As I didn’t find a way to make it work again, I switched to Nikita’s final 7.3 port (Nikita: Nikita-v1.7_GCam_7.3.020_Urnyx05_mod) and am much happier with it.

Not only doesn’t it crash - it also has a lot of the missing features like motion pictures, focus tracking and ISO settings. So, this might be the port to have.

4 Likes

Thank you very much for these test photos!

Can someone who has the old and the new module upload pictures (in the best case with the same subject and same lightning conditions) with 4x zoom for each camera module?
This would make objective comparison much easier.
Also if someone could upload raw (dng) files of zoomed in photos would be very helpful, this would exclude a lot of problems which might could get fixed in future software updates.

2 Likes

Until now, I was testing GCam_7.3.018_Urnyx05-v2.2.apk but I can’t remember Who portes it.
No issues to report but I will give a try to your version as well.

I am trying some ports, but without luck. I have the Fairphone 3 with the new modules installed and I have troubles with video modes on Gcam ports… has anyone found a port that works with this new modules?

UPDATE: I tried all the latest ones I’ve seen named in this post and none of them worked for me, but we’ll find out if any port works on this new modules. I have to add that after reading the comments about the almost none existing differences between one camera module and another I am thinking about if buying the new modules was a good idea… maybe this absence of improvement is due to the stock camera app and not the modules themselves.

I am interested too

Ps, for fp3+ user a new version is available
Nikita: NGCam_7.4.104-v1.8-fix.apk:

4 Likes

Hello, I just wanted to stress out that the latest stable cstark27’s Pixel Google Camera mod seems to work flawlessly with the FP3 hardware. Colorimetry and brightness appear to be well-balanced in any environment and you can also save a RAW version of the photos in a separated folder !

9 Likes

I can Confirm a Stable working of Nikita GCam Version 2.0 7.4.104.314953318 on FP3+
Theres are Worlds to the Standard Camera App, in my opinion.
A Screenshot with concret location and to find adress.

6 Likes

Maybe a useful information for all the people here trying to figure out which camera app is actually useful on the FP3. For me many of the apk’s that I have tried, were not really useful, as the picture processing time was way too long for a normal use and focus, for example also did not work properly. I hope FP themselves will invest a lot in giving a stock one that is actually useful. (well to be honest, now using it for a more then 1 year I wish for A LOT)

I can recommend NGCam_7.4.104-v2-0_eng. Very quick HDR processing times, focus works great. The only disadvantage is that you cannot select the FPS for video, but well. This version worked absolutely best for me so far.

Have fun!

10 Likes

Comparison (on my FP3+)
GCam Port (default: HDR+) [left] vs. /e/OS Camera app (Open Camera) set on HDR [right]

8 Likes

I have now reached a point where for the first time ever since using a smartphone, I feel like I can leave my trusty old digital camera (from the year 2005, 5.1 MP) behind. Until now, nature photos were always what made me unhappy with smartphone cameras. The only thing still missing for me is a real (“optical”) zoom. But even in this respect, the resolution actually allows some acceptable cropped image details.

I have become much happier recently with my FP3+ camera since switching to the GCAm port. No feeling of needing any hardware upgrade at all. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Admittedly, I selected the best of 7 butterfly shots I took in the late afternoon today, but there were at least 3 more out of these which looked quite crisp and 99% equally presentably, too. Of the other three, some blurring on parts of the animal was visible on really close viewing – there was a gentle breeze that kept blowing against the plants from time to time. Fortunately the butterfly wasn’t shy at all and let me get like 15 cm (or less) close-up to her or him. Second picture is an exact 1/9 detail from the first (first picture automatically reduced in size from 4000x3000 when uploading, second picture not reduced).

9 Likes

Cropped and original resolution (thus cut off at the sides) | Not cropped, but downsized

Sorry for repetition, but I heard/noticed the butterfly was (unintentionally) held captive under my skylight upon my return from a long walk out, so I had the opportunity to get really close up today (safely released minutes later). :innocent:

7 Likes

Thanks again for your help! I have tried out different versions of GCam for Android 10 and 11 I found on Recommended Stable Google Camera Port Versions

Without thoroughly testing image quality, I noticed problems in most of them:
a) Not being able to use another gallery app. Even if some have the option in settings to use a third party app gallery, it does not always work. As @urs_lesse pointed out his can be solved really easy with Introducing GCam Photos Preview

b) the crashing of the app when you choose 4k resolution of video. The fp3 support 4k at 30fps max, and the newer gcam versions support 4k60fps and even 8k. Some ports crash once you choose 4k and there is no option to make it works again, except if you ditch all your data/reinstall the app. The versions that do handle this correctly:

• BSG’s 8.6: MGC_8.6.263_A11_V14 (stable)
    Has no slow-motion video. Setting for 3rd party gallery works, provides sharpness settings when hdr+ is on. Focus tracking optional.

• Wichaya’s 8.1: GCam_8.1.101_Wichaya_V1.6 Works without GCam photos preview. Offers playground option which requires AR (which then means: crash), but fp3 is not supporting this anyway, so I don´t care. Has annoying haptic feedback though (can´t be turned off) and lacks selfie lightning option.

• Nikita’s 8.2: NGCam_8.2.300-v1.8 Option to set 4k video to 30fps in settings to preent crashing , and needs to open photos and videos in 3rd party gallery with GCam photos preview . Does not see Signal as sharing app. Focus tracking available. And again also annoying haptic feedback that cannot be turned off.

I have now chosen the BSG GCam port even if it does not have the slow motion option. I found the haptic so annoying that I will go for BSG now.

Not working for me (mainly because of crashing when you select 4K video), tried 8.1 or higher versions:

• BigKaka
  • Hasli LMC (too bad, looks well thought)
  • Urnyx
  • Greatness (taking pictures in different resolutions all the time, very weird)
  • Arnova (video is fine, but too little settings to alter unless you wish to enter developer options. Also annoying haptic feedback when changing photo mode and cannot be turned off)

If you read this topic later on and have /e/ os like me, please note that at the time of this writing I run /e/ os 1.8 (android 11) and the newest stable gcam port is 8.6 by BSG. So there may be newer ones when you read this.

3 Likes

Hello everyone,

Avid user of GCam here (mainly Nikita NGCam 7.4 on FP3 and 8.2 on FP3+ ;
FP3 became FP3+ after CAM upgrade)

I have quick questions for other users:

1. Do you use GCam “out of the box” ?
2. Did you find a way to reduce the HDR+ processing time to acceptable levels (like a few seconds) ?

I also did a little experiment about question 2, here are the results:

• Nikita’s 8.2: NGCam_8.2.300-v1.8
    Out of the box 20 sec / 3 - 5 sec after disabling “Hexagon DSP”

• BigKaka’s 8.4 AGC8.4.300_V9.6
    Out of the box 18 sec (“Hexagon DSP” disabled) / 13 sec when disabling “Top Shot” / 35 sec when enabling “Hexagon DSP”

• BSG’s 8.7 MGC_8.6.263_A11_V11_ENG
    Out of the box 26 sec (no “Hexagon DSP” feature to tweak)

• Greatness’s 8.2 GCam8.2.204_Greatness.230503.2134
    Idem, out of the box 26 sec (no “Hexagon DSP” feature to tweak)

Quick conclusion:

1. Disabling “Hexagon DSP” makes HDR+ processing much master
  2. But on GCam >= 8.2 there are extra processing operations that lead to a too high processing time

Regards,

7 Likes

When a visitor virtually begs to be photographed (cropped, full resolution – go for “original image”):

FP3+, Nikita’s 8.2 v1.8: NGCam_8.2.300-v1.8

6 Likes

The visitor must have come to visit me too a few weeks ago!

(HDR+, Zoomed)
FP3+, Nikita GCam 8.2.300

7 Likes