FP3 + or FP4 (I cannot decide)

You’re right, however, I’m done. Phone will be listed today as ‘for sale’ and this will be the end of my journey here. Thanks for the debate, has been fun! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello, you write that the FP 4 no longer has LEDs to indicate the charge or the reception of messages; what replaces these colored LEDs??
cordially
Dominique

There is no replacement, you need to check the display. Like with most of the other Smartphones.

4 Likes

Hello

Thanks for answering my question. I currently have an FP2 for 7 years; I see the LED which changes color depending on the load, as well as notifications if there is a message: it is very practical. According to your answer, I must therefore open the display each time to see where the load is, and if there are any messages??? : if it is,so it is less practical; don’t you think so?
Dominique

2 Likes

No, I personally don’t think so. This simple LED only gives me a hint, to see what’s up, I have to activate the screen anyway. So I don’t miss it at all. I didn’t even know the FP3 has it, I found somewhere here in the forum, how to activate it.

The notification LED was always the first thing I disabled, starting with the Nexus One back in the day. I find it very distracting, but that’s a personal preference I guess.

A lot of tears have been shed in this forum over the removal of that LED, but it’s probably never going to come back.
The next Fairphone might have an OLED screen and enable something like an always on display to make up for that loss.

2 Likes

There is no replacement, you need to check the display. Like with most of the other Smartphones.

THANK GOD.

I’ve had un-disableable LEDs on every previous smartphone I’ve ever owned, and good grief were they annoying, for one reason only: they were always on when charging. This meant I couldn’t charge them in my bedroom at night without them illuminating the room, unless I put them screen-down, which frankly is the sort of thing I’d rather not do to anything made out of glass.

The FP4? I can just plug it in at night and forget about it.

Where’s a box of matches or some socks when you really need them? It’s a conspiracy :slight_smile: .

2 Likes

As AnotherElk has inferred you could easily cover the led with a small item.

But conversely, I like the phone glass facing down, as it is protected by the surface it is on ??

1 Like

As AnotherElk has inferred you could easily cover the led with a small item.

Quite so. I usually used a book… and then knocked the lot onto the floor at some point during the night.

But conversely, I like the phone glass facing down, as it is protected by the surface it is on ??

Thus speaks someone who’s never encountered a bedside table unaccountably surfaced with a sheet of glass. Put my glasses down on that lens-down once by mistake (lights off, never noticed what it was covered with). Picked them up in the morning to a horrific screeching sound as glass scratched glass. £600 of glasses with a huge inch-wide mess right down the middle of the right lens :frowning: and a wait of at least six weeks for a replacement to be manufactured. Maybe gorilla glass is tougher than that, but, y’know, I never put anything valuable face-down on a bedside table after that day.

(Yes, my glasses are more expensive than my Fairphone. My keyboard is even more expensive than that. Ergonomic and medical stuff is pricey :frowning: )

1 Like

I too have glass lenses yet have never liked the idea of a glass table, but I use a case with the phone so theoretically it would probably be fine.

So do you not use a case?

Anyway getting away from the diff between the FP3 and the FP4

So this is all about the LED being so bright. Do you want the LED at all and is it just the charging issue. On this it is often advised not to charge at night as the battery may get stressed from being ‘on charge’ for hours.

I have a belt pouch into which the phone only just fits even sans case. A case in addition to that seems rather redundant…

1 Like

No, not like most other smartphones. Like cheap phones and iPhones. Most phones nowadays have an OLED and use an always on display for notifications. Can we please stop pretending everyone is doing this? Most phones also don’t have a 3.5mm jack anymore, but for some reason that’s not an excuse for FP to remove it :slight_smile:

update : I ordered a FP4 :slight_smile: smaller version, over three weeks ago.
totally unrelated but rather frustrating aspects :

a)waiting waiting waiting, package status rather unclear
b)the order wasn’t added to my account so follow up is nearly impossible. As my FP2 was “one of the first 17418” and I feel like I’m a FP person through and through, I wanted to have a nice overview in my account. Then to have sales tell me they “cannot” add the order made as guest to my account is…

ah well I guess you just have to be really really motivated to stick to Fairphone.
back to waiting.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.