FP3+: New camera module still generating 12 MP pictures

What is changed at the Camera upgrades page?
It still says 48MP without the explanation to 12MP output image.

6 Likes

On both pages it reads:

Here, four pixels are combined to form one large superpixel that captures four times more light while being friendly to your phone’s storage (equalling 12-megapixel photos).

Sounds OK for me.

BUT:
@formerFP.Com.Manager This is still not mentioned on the spare parts page.
And that’s the most likely trap customers will fall into.
They read, that there’s a camera upgrade and directly enter the shop page.

Edit: Just checked two resellers:
Vireo in the Tech Specs

• 48 MP Auflösung / 12 MP Output

Memolife: No mention. Just the same info, that is presented on the Fairphone shop-page.
(Funny side note: As standard picture in their shop, they present the backside of the camera.)

3 Likes

This says nothing about the output, generating 12 MP pictures.

2 Likes

Doesn’t sound ok for me, Gives the impression it takes 48MP fotos, that are just less memory consuming. I think, that’s kind of half hearted,

2 Likes

Clearly the main specs mention a 48Mpx camera it should read 4 x 12Mpx

Camera

It is not clear enough for a none tech person or a auick review. Twice it mentions 48 and just adds that there is a 12 output after. Better to initially say a new quality 12Mpx image from a 48Mpx etc.

3 Likes

If you click on the Camera title under specs there’s an expanded detail
Rear camera

48 megapixels resolution with 12 megapixel output
0.8um, 8000x6000 (48MP)
1.6um, 4000x3000 (12MP output)
2 Likes

What you say is about the product page and I am talking about the Camera upgrades page.

I imagine most/many people will be buying FP3+ from now so clarification on the main product page would be more considerate.

1 Like

And what about people with a FP3 willing to upgrade the camera?

We are talking about Fairphone. That also includes fair information!

6 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Problem with camera Fairphone 3+

@anon9989719 I am afraid you are right, people tend to buy the latest version, even if they don’t see the effective interest. And yes, clarification is needed. I hope Fairphone has learned from their catastrophic launch of FP3+. To me this was a high stragegic mistake.
I would recommend to buy a FP3 and, the day you really really really need a better camera, you buy the +++camera module. Cheaper and less problems!

3 Likes

The new camera is still only sold as 48MP. No sentence about the fact that mur 12MP will come out.

3 Likes

Hi @Dosenheini

You are correct, although on the spec for the whole phone, if you click on the arrow, it does state 48Mpx with 12Mpx output: but I see no such explanation on buying the camera as a spare part.

Hopefully FP will address this and start to call it a 12x4Mpx camera from the start.

2 Likes

It seems the misleading title of the feature is a good marketing tool, but in my opinion it’s not very fair for customers (I’m one of them, and I honestly feel cheated, thinking I could’ve zoomed 4x on the picture to still have a 12Mpx image, knowing the upgrade is not at all as amazing as the one you have when you download the Pixel camera port with the old modules, and this is free)… Could maybe @formerFP.Com.Manager insist on this point with the marketing team?

6 Likes

Folks, this is becoming compulsive.

1 Like

Yes, I know I repeat myself @urs_lesse, but it seems they still largely display the 48Mpx trick after all these months… :frowning:

3 Likes

Hi everyone,

I have raised this point with the team and this edit will also appear on the spare part page before the end of February. I do not have an exact date yet, but I will return here to let you know when it is done.

6 Likes

No, compulsive would be to point out that to

you need a larger area, a bigger sensor.
It captures up to 4 times the information on the same light amount that enters the sensor.

How about community driven advertising, like a git repo for the site and everyone can make pull requests :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It seems I spoke too soon… the good news is that the changes were actually made today. :wink:

6 Likes

If you mean the addition of ‘(equalling 12-megapixel photos).’ on

dare I say
a) it could be in bold ~ it’s a very important issue and should be up there with the BIG BOLD 48MPx
b) it could be in the header [48Mpx ~1 2Mpx Output]
c) (equalling 12-megapixel photos) could be (Outputting a max of 12-megapixel photos)
The
FP couldn’t have don’t much less :frowning:

The camera is really an enhanced 12Mp camera

3 Likes