FP3+: New camera module still generating 12 MP pictures

@RaiWeKO
There is a comparison document by FP, that lists all the differences, technically as well as designwise.
(Linked on this page; and here’s the direct link to the PDF-file

The new module has the light grey outline as a kind of marker.
The moiré pattern around the flashlights might be due to the picture. At least it is not mentioned in the document.

4 Likes

The new camera has a white (looks more light gray) ring. The old one is just black.

3 Likes

Here are my new camera’s.
Please notice the small blue plastic covering the lens on the top module.

2 Likes

It seems new ones have a white/grey circle around the lens.

3 Likes

Thank you all! Now I know that I have installed the new camera. What luck! Was a 50/50 chance. :wink:

5 Likes

And now go for the lottery. :wink: :grin:

2 Likes

So, I got my new camera module for my FP3. Assembling it went just fine. But my photos are still 16MP regarding to the info I get from my new photos… Is there an upcoming camera upgrade or have I done something wrong? Or maybe a setting I have not seen?

Regards
Johan

Welcome to the community forum!
Assuming you meant 12MP, and not 16MP, I moved your post here. Please have a look around.
If I misunderstood, please tell me and I’ll undo it.

1 Like

Yes, thanks. I have a look around :slight_smile:

Hmm… I don’t think FP is doing itself any favors by not mentioning that very clearly. I can understand that make people feel a little bit cheated. I took a screenshot of the sales page and marked the 48MP green. There is talk about (48MP) sensor and camera. To see the 12MP output you have to click on the arrow (marked red). People who are not tech nerds might not understand or find this.

Imgur

6 Likes

I agree with you there.
Well, that’s marketing. It starts with Samsung, that are producing the sensor and sell it as 48 MP.

Nokia for the Nokia 7.2, that is using the same sensor for the main camera, is not even mentioning the 12 MP output. In that regard Fairphone is a bit more transparent.

Click on “Full specifications” towards the bottom of the page and you won’t find the info there either (just “Quad pixel” without any explanation).

I guess it should be advertised 48/12 MP, but it always takes a lot of explanation.

@formerFP.Com.Manager
Fairphone absolutely should mention the “Quad pixel” technology in the shop for the “Camera+ module”.
I did not find any mention of the 12 MP output there.
And since I would expect some users outside the forum, are just looking to buy the new camera+ module. They might not read the tech-specs of the FP3+ first, where this is mentioned.
The way the module is presented really is a bit misleading in my opinion.

9 Likes

Warning: Speculations ahead

I have not found what exact sensor FP uses, you say Samsung so I guess its the 12MP ISOCELL GM1 (?):

If thats the case FP rebranded a 12MP to a 48MP Sensor

If its the Sony IMX 586 it is less of a stretch because Sony says its effective 48MP Sensor

:white_check_mark:

• S5KGM1SP03-FGX9 sensor

It’s written in the specs of the FP3+.

1 Like

So its this product page:

and these specifications

from the manufacturer.
Dropping the (12M Output) multiple times in the description is not what I would consider very honest.

1 Like

Hi, Community!

I bought a FP3+ last week (Android 10). Today I needed the camera and realised, that the camera app maximally allows 12 megapixels as if it were the older camera module of the FP3 instead of the upgraded 48MP one of the FP3+.

I’m sure it’s the correct hardware, not the wrong module. ifixit here compared the two modules and I see in the size of the camera hole aswell as in the ripples of the flash that it is indeed the new 48MP camera.

I tried a different camera app (“Open Camera”) which also only allows 12MP so it’s not a bug of the camera software.

How can I tell the phone that the module actually supports 48MP?
The selfie cam has been properly recognized with 16MP, only the rear camera has the wrong resolution.

Welcome to the community forum!
I moved your post here to avoid duplicates, please read this thread, it will give you your answer.

4 Likes

Hi everyone,

Just a follow up on @BertG’s comment. I have shared your suggestion internally and in the coming days we will amend the website. Thanks, as always, for the feedback. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Lucky me: I have a max of 16MP (FP3 with upgraded camera modules) :wink:

But that’s the front/selfie camera, isn’t it?
The back camera should have 12 MP.

3 Likes

Does the new rear camera always reduce to 12MP? Could a software update enable 24MP? This would give better depth but also reduce storage worries. Maybe a compromise for those wanting full 48MP photos! Digital cameras arent my expertise so I could be completely wrong!