FP3+: New camera module still generating 12 MP pictures

Clearly the main specs mention a 48Mpx camera it should read 4 x 12Mpx

Camera

It is not clear enough for a none tech person or a auick review. Twice it mentions 48 and just adds that there is a 12 output after. Better to initially say a new quality 12Mpx image from a 48Mpx etc.

3 Likes

If you click on the Camera title under specs there’s an expanded detail
Rear camera

48 megapixels resolution with 12 megapixel output
0.8um, 8000x6000 (48MP)
1.6um, 4000x3000 (12MP output)
2 Likes

What you say is about the product page and I am talking about the Camera upgrades page.

I imagine most/many people will be buying FP3+ from now so clarification on the main product page would be more considerate.

1 Like

And what about people with a FP3 willing to upgrade the camera?

We are talking about Fairphone. That also includes fair information!

6 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Problem with camera Fairphone 3+

@anon9989719 I am afraid you are right, people tend to buy the latest version, even if they don’t see the effective interest. And yes, clarification is needed. I hope Fairphone has learned from their catastrophic launch of FP3+. To me this was a high stragegic mistake.
I would recommend to buy a FP3 and, the day you really really really need a better camera, you buy the +++camera module. Cheaper and less problems!

3 Likes

The new camera is still only sold as 48MP. No sentence about the fact that mur 12MP will come out.

3 Likes

Hi @Dosenheini

You are correct, although on the spec for the whole phone, if you click on the arrow, it does state 48Mpx with 12Mpx output: but I see no such explanation on buying the camera as a spare part.

Hopefully FP will address this and start to call it a 12x4Mpx camera from the start.

2 Likes

It seems the misleading title of the feature is a good marketing tool, but in my opinion it’s not very fair for customers (I’m one of them, and I honestly feel cheated, thinking I could’ve zoomed 4x on the picture to still have a 12Mpx image, knowing the upgrade is not at all as amazing as the one you have when you download the Pixel camera port with the old modules, and this is free)… Could maybe @formerFP.Com.Manager insist on this point with the marketing team?

6 Likes

Folks, this is becoming compulsive.

1 Like

Yes, I know I repeat myself @urs_lesse, but it seems they still largely display the 48Mpx trick after all these months… :frowning:

3 Likes

Hi everyone,

I have raised this point with the team and this edit will also appear on the spare part page before the end of February. I do not have an exact date yet, but I will return here to let you know when it is done.

6 Likes

No, compulsive would be to point out that to

you need a larger area, a bigger sensor.
It captures up to 4 times the information on the same light amount that enters the sensor.

How about community driven advertising, like a git repo for the site and everyone can make pull requests :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It seems I spoke too soon… the good news is that the changes were actually made today. :wink:

6 Likes

If you mean the addition of ‘(equalling 12-megapixel photos).’ on

dare I say
a) it could be in bold ~ it’s a very important issue and should be up there with the BIG BOLD 48MPx
b) it could be in the header [48Mpx ~1 2Mpx Output]
c) (equalling 12-megapixel photos) could be (Outputting a max of 12-megapixel photos)
The
FP couldn’t have don’t much less :frowning:

The camera is really an enhanced 12Mp camera

3 Likes

Actually @formerFP.Com.Manager, to be fully honest and fair, I would get rid of all the “48Mpx” mentions. It seems very close, too close, to misinformation to me. A lot of mid-techy people like me would think they could zoom on the picture, if they know what 48Mpx means over 12Mpx.

I’d suggest “Quad Bayer 12Mpx camera” for the title and “a bigger sensor, with 4 photosites per pixel, for brighter and cleaner pictures” in the description for the marketing.

7 Likes

What is really happening with the new 48Mp camera?

Referring to the claim:
“Here, four pixels are combined to form one large superpixel that captures four times more light while being friendly to your phone’s storage (equalling 12-megapixel photos).”

In order to catch more light the aperture needs to be bigger, twice the diameter to get 4 times more light. It has nothing to do with the pixels.

The bayer filter is a misdirection as in order to have colours each pixel is only picking up one of the 3 primary colours so a grid is used to cover pixels and this is called the bayer filter.

Is there any info comparing the sizes of the aperture and the sensor of the two FP3 cameras?

1 Like

There is a comparison chart for the FP3 / FP3+, that’s already linked in this thread:

Sensor size:
FP3: 1/2.55 (inches) about 0,39 inches
FP3+: 1/2.25 (inches) about 0.44 inches

Aperture:
FP3: F 1.8
FP3+: F 1.79

Both slightly better for the FP3+ / camera+ module.

2 Likes

Hi @BertG

The Aperture increase is so small that I consider it negligible in regards to the claim
“Here, four pixels are combined to form one large superpixel that captures four times more light while being friendly to your phone’s storage (equalling 12-megapixel photos).”

Further the increased size of the sensor is not the same as the increased size of the lenses each pixel has, if there is any space between the pixels it may well be that needs a larger sensor area as there are now 40 millions to separate.

And of course there’s the diameter of the lens as primary aperture as the f/1.79 etc relates to the focal length of the pixels from the lens and if the pixels are smaller and shallower then each may be further from or closer to the lens.

The f/1.8 to f/1.79 change shows the overall increases in light reaching the lens, as I said before, is negligible.

"Each f-number is represents one “stop” of light, a stop is a mathematical equation (which is the focal length of the lens divided by the diameter of the aperture opening) that determines how much light that enters the lens regardless of the length of the lens. Such that an f/4 on a 50mm has smaller opening than an f/4 on a 200mm, but an equivalent amount of light travels through both lenses to reach the image sensor thus providing the same exposure."

Fairphone’s claim that four times as much light is available as a consequence of the 4 times increase in number of pixels shows either a totally inept expression by an monitored person or a total disregard to advertise the product as it really is.

I will at some point paint my view of this issue directly on Fairphone’ door, but currently they have more serious issues to deal with that camera issues :slight_smile:

It may be a 48Mp sensor but it acts as a 12Mp with little difference in output, specifically in terms of light absorption.

3 Likes